• 12-19-2014 07:07 AM
    35YrsAfter
    1 Attachment(s)
    Three Scalp Reductions - Scar Repair
    Our patient had three scalp reductions at one of the big chain hair transplant outfits. The scars are not noticeable until he tips his head down. Our patient does not feel that he was benefitted in any way from these scalp reduction surgeries. He is one of many of our patients who was told by other doctors that hair will not grow in scar tissue. I have personally never seen hair fail to grow in scar tissue to the degree of providing considerable cosmetic benefit, during the time I have worked at Dr. Cole's office.

An article on PubMed.gov (US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health) offers some grim predictions related to transplanted hair’s survival rate in scar tissue:

RESULTS:
    The follow-up cases over 6 months after operation were 18 among total 25 cases. The result after hair follicle transplantation was excellent (44.4%), good (38.9%), fair (11.1%), and poor (5.6%).
    CONCLUSIONS:
    The hair follicle transplantation on the scar tissue is more difficult than grafting on normal tissue because the scar is accompanied by poor blood circulation and stiffness of tissue. The patients with burned scar achieved more favorable result than did others. Incision scars are deeper than burned scars, and their success rates are poor. We should recommend the patients that hair follicle transplantation on the scar may need secondary or more operations for the aesthetically better result.”

Contrary to this report, according to my personal observations working here at Dr. Cole’s, we get excellent growth in incision scars. ACell, PRP, our graft storage solution plus multiple pass, low density placement, greatly improves the outcome in contrast to this PubMed.gov article.

Attachment 36653

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
  • 12-19-2014 09:34 AM
    ejj
    Those scalp reduction procedures were barbaric! How on earth could anyone perform such a procedure on another human being is beyond me!

I remember when I was 22 yo and a trichologist showed me a video of this procedure performed by a Doctor in Australia, it was just the before and after of a guy who had 4 reductions! Needless to say the video left out the `important` bits !!! I was about a norwood 3 at the time and the trichologist wanted to sell this procedure to me! Lucky escape!

I agree many told me hair will not grow in scar tissue, it did in mine and I hope this client gets good growth and look forward to the updates

ejj
  • 12-31-2014 08:57 AM
    USP678
    1 Attachment(s)
    13 day photo
    Attachment 36843

This is a current photo...scar is already looking much better.
  • 01-06-2015 06:22 AM
    ejj
    Happy for you USP, good way to start a new year! I found my scars felt warmer to the touch and lost that dead white colour after a few months.

Look forward to the updates

All the best

ej
  • 03-27-2015 08:40 PM
    bessymarf
    The article which you shared about the scar repair was interesting and useful. Are there any types for this scar problem?
    Scars disappear
  • 03-28-2015 05:55 AM
    1966kph
    I presently in went fue which entailed placing grafts into a 35 year old axe wound scar.
    I'm only 3 weeks post op today so its to early to judge whether the scar tissue will impact growth there.
    Hair never grew on or around the scar so again it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Out of all the anaesthetic injections the ones into this scar tissue were the only ones I really felt..
    At 13 days your already looking better USP.
    Will watch this case with added interest.
    Have a good day
  • 04-29-2015 07:06 PM
    USP678
    it has been about 4 months and hairs are coming in look very natural. I have white bumps in the crown area, does anyone know what this is?
  • 05-01-2015 10:41 AM
    USP678
    1 Attachment(s)
    crown grafts
    these are the grafts in my crown
  • 05-09-2015 03:00 PM
    wylie
    That is an excellent close up picture. Please keep us updated on your progress. You are lucky you kept your hair on top to conceal the scars, and the addition of grafts into them is a great idea.

I noticed the areas around the grafts are raised, wondering if this will subside.
  • 05-09-2015 03:19 PM
    USP678
    going to see a Dermatologist about this and will see if laser resurfacing can be done on my scalp and scars...have been told that it can be but will take many sessions to correct to an acceptable degree...

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM