• 01-21-2013 07:10 PM
    tbtadmin
    Beard Hair Transplants, What You Need To Know
    Spencer Kobren, and IAHRS accepted member Dr. William Yates, discuss the viability of beard hair as a donor option for certain hair transplant patients. Subscribe: iTunes (audio) | iTunes (video) | Zune (audio) | Zune (video) | RSS (audio) | RSS (video) Spencer Kobren’s The Bald Truth is internationally syndicated through the GFQ Network Spencer [...]Spencer Kobren – Beard Hair Transplants, What You Need To Know is a post from: Hair Loss Show: The Bald Truth

More...
  • 01-22-2013 10:01 AM
    chrisdav
    I feel that Dr Yates comes across as a sincere and genuine guy. Additionally I have also been impressed with the work that he has putting forward to the forum.

Definitely feeling Spencer's idea of a blow out with a 6 pack and bucket of chicken in the next week :cool:

Great show.
  • 01-22-2013 11:13 AM
    DepressedByHairLoss
    It frustrates me though because how many people will these beard hair transplants actually appeal to? Even hair transplants (which so highly touted and widely advertised) only appeal to less than 10% of the population so I imagine that transplanting hair from a person's beard to their head will only appeal to a small fraction of that. In my opinion, we really need to focus on hair regrowth technologies that will appeal to the mass of hair loss sufferers and not something like beard hair technology, which will maybe only appeal to like 1% of all hair loss sufferers. I say this with all due respect though because Dr. Yates seems like a nice guy and I've got massive amounts of respect for Spencer.
  • 01-24-2013 03:56 AM
    ejj
    Hi

I think beard hair donor appeals to every repair patient, and also everybody who has had a transplant ,and has continued to lose hair due to mpb .

Scalp donor is a limited resource ,so is beard donor so basically it gives just that little bit more to work with and hopefully finish the restoration

More and more Drs like Dr Yates are embracing beard as donor and i think in time it will be accepted throughtout the industry as additional donor for suitable candidates

Regards
    ejj
  • 01-25-2013 02:18 AM
    Spex
    Great show and interview with Dr Y :cool:
  • 01-25-2013 07:17 AM
    Artista
    Ive been impressed with Dr Yates from the first interview. The work that Dr Yates has done is even more impressive. I am confident that Dr Yates use of beard hair is a good use.
  • 01-25-2013 03:30 PM
    wylie
    Just listened to the show, interesting. Glad to hear Dr. Yates is now beginning to practice beard hair transplantation, but the maximum number of grafts under the jawline is at least 5000 grafts in patients with a medium to fairly dense beard, as mine is, more than twice the 2K max. quoted by Dr. Yates.

I've had 5k grafts, all under the jawline, and most of my below jawline grafts have been used up (I only have to shave under the jawline about twice a week, but can get by only once) Dr. Umar gets up to 1500 beard grafts in one day, and I have noticed that the beard hair gets around to flattening out and looking more like scalp hair after about a year. Initially you can see that beard has a far more wiry appearance than scalp hair, but seems to straighten out. I'm guessing the action of just combing it, and growing it longer will ultimately train it somewhat to be more straight. It is unnoticeable blended with scalp hair.

Speaking only for myself, I had almost zero scalp hair to draw from after multiple strips in the mid 90's, and was cursed with hideous 'mini grafts'. I was completely disfigured and had no scalp left. Dr. Umar used 1500 scalp to repair the hairline (all I had available), and 5K beard around the plugs (none in crown, it is bald and remains virgin territory and the least of my problems) so beard hair is a genuine lifesaver for formerly hopeless patients like myself. I was hopeless from around 1998 (when I gave up ever looking normal again) until 2008, when I first heard about beard hair. My first surgery was in 2010, and I just had my 4th surgery Sept. 2012.
  • 01-26-2013 08:43 AM
    ejj
    I agree Wylie , ive had 3k so far , and plan on another 3 k to finish my repair completely

regards

ejj

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

My FUE Into FUT Scar Result Revealed After 5 Years
Yesterday 10:10 AM
Last Post By JoeTillman
Yesterday 10:10 AM
2 operations with Asmed, Dr. Erdogan - 2007 and 2016
10-06-2020 10:53 AM
Last Post By sicore8826
04-12-2024 02:41 PM
How do you make a truck sound like a train horn?
09-13-2023 09:58 PM
by Bial
Last Post By frasheron
04-12-2024 06:02 AM
Dr. Glenn Charles FUT
04-10-2024 07:36 AM
Last Post By Dr. Glenn Charles
04-10-2024 07:36 AM