• 08-30-2013 02:00 PM
    Artista
    NORWOOD 6 members who have had HT surgery
    My hair loss friends,
    I have started this thread to create attention to what HT surgery MAY do for NW6 sufferers and us all. Joe from Staten claims that a NW 6 can NEVER get feasible coverage from a HT(s)
    I personally know someone who WAS a NW6, had HTs adding up to over 8,000 grafts (Hasson and Wong) and NO LONGER SUFFERS!
    He is VERY HAPPY with his scalp to this day and it has been approx 6 years ago that he had his last session.
    Any of you members that had lost a significant amount of hair and have had HT surgery..could you PLEASE comment here on the outcomes and possibly add photos too?
    I am certain that there are many people who have had a successful HT or HTs and then moved on with their lives never returning back to here..but there must be a % of members who would still come here to share and to help others that are suffering.
    I would really appreciate all of your comments now..it would really help those that have no faith in having HT surgery. THANK YOU :)
  • 08-30-2013 04:00 PM
    fred970
    I'm a NW5 going on 6 apparently after examination by Dr. Bisanga in Brussels and I'm gonna take the plunge in six months.

My first FUE is scheduled in february 2014 with Dr. De Reys. My case is special apparently as Bisanga said he didn't encounter people as worse off at my age (23) everyday.

I would also like to hear other success story of people recovering from the horror of true baldness (at a young age) through surgery. I'm sick of those "success stories" when you see people going from NW2 to NW1. Hair transplants should be for bald people, not 45 years old NW2's willing to risk their sexual health.
  • 08-30-2013 04:10 PM
    Artista
    Hi Fred Thank you so much for starting off the comments With your Personal experience and upcoming Surgery!! I'm sure you're going to do okay My friend
  • 09-01-2013 07:37 AM
    Artista
    Members,,please add to this thread , especially those that WERE NW6s -thank you
  • 09-01-2013 11:48 AM
    baldee
    fred970, that's what Bisanga told me as well. I too was 23 at the time. I'm still a norwood 6. :(
  • 09-01-2013 01:11 PM
    newstart
    I was a NW6, I had my session with Dr. Wong on June 6th 2013. 4500 Grafts.
    I'm just shy of 3 months & so far so Good.
  • 09-01-2013 01:16 PM
    UK_
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newstart View Post

Man I cant wait for the day we hear more posts like this:

"I was a NW6"... "I used to be a NW4"....

I really hope to God we get a better treatment in the next 2 years.
  • 09-03-2013 10:46 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    My hair loss friends,
    I have started this thread to create attention to what HT surgery MAY do for NW6 sufferers and us all. Joe from Staten claims that a NW 6 can NEVER get feasible coverage from a HT(s)

Even the best hair transplant result on a Norwood 6 won't be sporting hair parted down the middle. I remember a while back "Bobman" posted his result which is spectacular in my opinion, but refused a poster's request to provide a straight-on photo of the top of his head in the sunlight.

There is simply not enough scalp donor hair available to restore a Norwood 6 to a teen or pre-teen state. The best results on a Norwood 6 are the result of great donor characteristics, a top doctor of course and careful styling. Most Norwood sixes are OK with an illusion of coverage. When you are young expectations are much higher.

I would personally be happy with a clean donor and the hint of a natural looking high hairline. I would wear my hair very short if I could. ReCell spray-on skin shows promise for scarred donor areas but it's not available yet in the US. Things are moving in a positive direction, but far too slow for most of us.
  • 09-03-2013 11:51 AM
    Jotronic
    Bobman did not "refuse" anything, at least not in the context that he was hiding something. Bobman has posted more photos of his head than most other online patients and by the time he posted the photos in the thread you reference he was pretty much done with the photo taking routine. He's given back to the community a hundred fold and wasn't going to be called out by a newbie. He paid his dues already.

And why is a part down the middle required? Who wears this style nowadays anyway? It is 2013, not 1978, and middle parts look silly on anyone without long hair. I find this point to be useless as even Bobman answered his critic by happily saying that his result was not full density and it was never intended to be. This is a numbers game and the numbers do not add up for full density.

Btw, here is a video of Bobman getting unrehearsed reactions to his hair transplant and the final reaction is outdoors and you can see that it is not full density. The point of having a hair transplant as a NW6 is to get back as much as possible so you can have options and if one of those options is the ILLUSION of a full head of hair in some circumstances then so be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Pv...34A9A99D96A284
  • 09-03-2013 11:57 AM
    Jotronic
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention. My name is Joe and I too was a NW6 (6.5 almost 7).

Check it... www.hairtransplantmentor.com
  • 09-03-2013 12:50 PM
    Artista
    Jotronic, I am so APPRECIATIVE of your comments made today, THANK YOU Bro! As you had mentioned, Bobman did not expect to achieve a full head of hair . He had hoped for a realistic IMPROVEMENT to his scalp after surgery and he got it! It is POSSIBLE for NW6' guys! Joe and Bob are just 2 of so MANY others who have experienced the same coverage via HTs. Hopefully more members will share their experiences here .. !:)
  • 09-03-2013 12:59 PM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jotronic View Post
    Bobman did not "refuse" anything, at least not in the context that he was hiding something. Bobman has posted more photos of his head than most other online patients and by the time he posted the photos in the thread you reference he was pretty much done with the photo taking routine. He's given back to the community a hundred fold and wasn't going to be called out by a newbie. He paid his dues already.

And why is a part down the middle required? Who wears this style nowadays anyway? It is 2013, not 1978, and middle parts look silly on anyone without long hair. I find this point to be useless as even Bobman answered his critic by happily saying that his result was not full density and it was never intended to be. This is a numbers game and the numbers do not add up for full density.

Btw, here is a video of Bobman getting unrehearsed reactions to his hair transplant and the final reaction is outdoors and you can see that it is not full density. The point of having a hair transplant as a NW6 is to get back as much as possible so you can have options and if one of those options is the ILLUSION of a full head of hair in some circumstances then so be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Pv...34A9A99D96A284

I'm simply stating the limitations of hair transplant surgery. On average a patient has between 5000 and 7000 follicular units available for transplant to the top. When this person was a teenager, he may have had 25,000 follicular units on top. Replacing all of that hair is simply not possible, so any great result that a Norwood 6 gets from hair transplant surgery represents an illusion of coverage. In other words, it's not going to look like a teenage head of hair in certain lighting and styling situations.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
  • 09-03-2013 01:05 PM
    Artista
    Jotronic, I just got finished watching the video. What a great example to show everybody out there on our forum! The spontaneous reactions by those people interviewed are priceless-Thanks again Jotronic. When I first met Bobman I didn't expect his hair transplants To look as good and natural as it does . In person I certainly was impressed!!
  • 09-03-2013 01:40 PM
    Jotronic
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I'm simply stating the limitations of hair transplant surgery. On average a patient has between 5000 and 7000 follicular units available for transplant to the top. When this person was a teenager, he may have had 25,000 follicular units on top. Replacing all of that hair is simply not possible, so any great result that a Norwood 6 gets from hair transplant surgery represents an illusion of coverage. In other words, it's not going to look like a teenage head of hair in certain lighting and styling situations.

Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

Then why not reference one of your own patients? I mean, you referenced Bobman as a great result (appreciated) but then go on to talk about how he refused to show his result in a specific angle in bright sunlight. Was that even necessary?

And there is no illusion of coverage. That is a misconception. Coverage is coverage, period. The illusion you get when an HT is done right is one of density.
  • 09-03-2013 01:43 PM
    Jotronic
    Artista,

Glad to participate and glad you liked the video. It was a lot of fun. We shot it several years ago. We need to find time to do more like this. I've got sooo many ideas yet not enough time to bring them to fruition:(

Btw, TBT is live tonight and I'm on again as co-host.
  • 09-03-2013 02:03 PM
    John P. Cole, MD
    jotroic, as a life long strip monger, i'm not surprised that you refuse to recognize that there is something called the illusion of coverage. i guess that when you perpetuate the myth that strips in your hands don't leave disgusting, ugly scars, you can also perpetuate the concept that "coverage is coverage" and obviously erroneous myth you spread for years that strips produce better results than FUE. in fact, it is possible to cover the entire scalp with a single hair that is grown long enough. that is not coverage, however. that is an illusion of coverage.

you may refuse to face the fact there there is rarely enough hair to give the illusion of coverage in a nw 5 and never enough hair to give the illusion of coverage in a nw 6, but his is the simple God's truth. one is never going to cover 225 to 250 sq. cm of bald skin with 5000 to 7000 follicular groups. it is simply mathematically impossible. now, i know you guys sometimes do 5000 grafts in one session and then do more, but you fail to explain that you typically split the natural follicular groups into smaller segments so that you actually place the same follicular group more than once and then bill double or three times for that same group.

i'm no fan of discussing any specific patient whose had a hair transplant. i also, have no taste in my mouth for salesmen that pick guys who are just trying explain their perspective of hair transplant surgery. Since you did it, i'll be frank. there is something quite different from a photo result and a real result and you are a master of the photo result. that my friend is also called an illusion of coverage.
  • 09-03-2013 02:23 PM
    didi
    wow..I didn't know H&W splits FUs too? at least he is not calling it stem cell hair transplant:)

Jotronic

You said in TBT radio show that average NW6 can get 6000-8000 grafts, that's not bad for nw6 but I would have thought its a bit of a stretch.

anyway,if nw6 lost 25 000 units...6000-8000 grafts will look too thin under sunlight, lets not full ourselves its illusion of density not real coverage
  • 09-03-2013 02:57 PM
    Jotronic
    Wow, Camp Cole coming out swinging and for no reason at all. Let's get something straight. When I say that there is no such thing as an illusion of coverage, I'm talking about what we see with out eyes. Having enough hair transplanted to cover the scalp with a moderate and conservative hair style is not an illusion. My own coverage is not an illusion because my hair covers my scalp. I do not grow it super long to cover it either. It is clean, short on the back and sides, and a few inches long on top. I have enough hair to allow for real coverage. I do not have enough hair for real density. Seems to me that our definitions are complete polar opposites.

I'm not sure what nerve I touched on but it seems to be one that you feel warrants a flurry of insults and bold faced lies. That's fine, I'm used to it. The one thing I've learned over the years is that when one hasn't anything tangible to say they tend to throw what they can against the barn door to see what sticks.

Didi,

LOL! I think if we split FU's we could sell that quite easily as stem cell multiplication. We will mix in PRP, Acell, RU then stick a 9 volt battery in and let it sit overnight. If we're lucky, we may even get 70% regeneration!!!! Whaddyathink?

Monger out!

And I stand by my statement. Remember, it is a range of grafts, 6000 being on the low end of average with "average" meaning average donor density and average donor laxity. I've seen guys that can't get past 5000 and of course I've seen guys that get way more than 8000. It is difficult to nail down but it is what it is, an average if not a loose one.
  • 09-03-2013 04:18 PM
    Artista
    Unfortunately I'm working this evening and won't be able to attend the Live show ! It seems that this discussion will transfer to the show.. Hope there isn't any hostilities. We are all in this together
  • 09-03-2013 05:06 PM
    Follicle Death Row
    Wow, surprised at the hostility in this thread especially as H&W have the most extensive hd video catalogue of Norwood 5 & 6 restorations with comb throughs.

Still amazed how people bash FUT. Both techniques have their places.

FUT will produce more grafts in the long run than FUE
    FUT enables the best hair to be taken (if you don't know why read up on variable areas of donor density, donor thinning & miniturisation as well as retrograde alopecia)
    With each FUT procedure 5-10% of follicles end up in the waste bucket because they are dormant and not hair producing at the time of the procedure
    FUE allows cherry picking of grafts for a higher hair to follicle ratio for the first 2000-3000 follicles
    FUE will generally allow tighter haircuts
    Open for debate where we stand on yield for the 2 techniques in 2013

Both have advantages & disadvantages.

If you're a Norwood 6 it's quite feasible for many to get 8000-9000 FU over 3 procedures. It's also likely that you can get 1500-2000 more via FUE on top of that. That puts many people in the region of 9500-10500 maxed out. The average Norwood 6 will have to tackle 240cm2 of bald scalp but it varies depending on the size of your head.

We're born with about 45000 follicles and a Norwood 6 will lose about 22-23000 follicles. That leaves about 22000 in a Norwood 6 donor and we are getting close to taking half of that these days. 10,000 over 240 cm2 will give an average density of 41.66 Fu/cm2. Of course you'll lose a tiny % yield wise.

Of course if you put 4200 in the rear half and 5800 in the front half you're looking at approx 48fu/cm2 in the front half and 35fu/cm2. For most people that will make them very happy but it's a long road.

Ever tempted to tap into FUE Joe?
  • 09-03-2013 05:21 PM
    Follicle Death Row
    Quote:

On average a patient has between 5000 and 7000 follicular units available for transplant to the top. When this person was a teenager, he may have had 25,000 follicular units on top.

Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

I presume you mean 5000-7000 via FUE. I've heard from multiple surgeons that 8000-9000 are available via FUT.
  • 09-03-2013 06:20 PM
    Dan26
    Lets be honest anyone who gets an FUT nowadays is a certified bozo...
  • 09-03-2013 06:27 PM
    fred970
    I'm getting my first FUE in 5 months but it's because I want to be able to buzz my hair, and because I have the money for it, oh and I almost forgot, I don't want an ugly ass scar at the back of my head.

But I understand why people would opt for FUT if they're short on money and if they're are absolutely sure they will not be forced to shave their head in the future.
  • 09-03-2013 06:35 PM
    UK_
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    I'm getting my first FUE in 5 months but it's because I want to be able to buzz my hair, and because I have the money for it, oh and I almost forgot, I don't want an ugly ass scar at the back of my head.

But I understand why people would opt for FUT if they're short on money and if they're are absolutely sure they will not be forced to shave their head in the future.

FUE is a no brainer really, a linear scar will only cause you to get FUE in the future to cover it up when you decide you want to shave.
  • 09-03-2013 07:37 PM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Lets be honest anyone who gets an FUT nowadays is a certified bozo...

That is not true. Both FUE and FUT each have their place. For some people FUT is the better option. There are more factors involved than you realize.
  • 09-03-2013 09:37 PM
    PayDay
    I have to say that Dr. Cole is making himself look not so great. There is no question that FUT or "strip" is a great option for so many people and H&W present the best results on the internet. Dr. Cole's post here looks extremely self serving. Anyone who believes that FUT is outdated in anyway does not understand hair transplantation. I'm totally turned off to Cole by this!
  • 09-04-2013 04:37 AM
    baldymcgee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    I have to say that Dr. Cole is making himself look not so great. There is no question that FUT or "strip" is a great option for so many people and H&W present the best results on the internet. Dr. Cole's post here looks extremely self serving. Anyone who believes that FUT is outdated in anyway does not understand hair transplantation. I'm totally turned off to Cole by this!

I'm torn on this, Spencer himself discourages young transplant patients from getting FUT (he says that FUT people should wait until they are at least 35 so they know what hairstyles they will want be happy with for the rest of their lives). But there's no doubt that FUT is cheaper, allows for larger sessions, and has a higher yield.

On the whole Norwood 6 question, Joe (bless him) has been very honest in the past when he has said that his result (and presumably Bobman's result) is not typical and that high norwood patients cannot go into the HT process expecting to have the same result. I suppose that's where it becomes important to talk to your surgeon to get a good idea of what (and isn't) possible FOR YOU.
  • 09-04-2013 06:21 AM
    Artista
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newstart View Post

Hi Newstart, Once again, Thank you for commenting!
    Please stick with this thread as your HT progresses and good luck to you.
  • 09-04-2013 06:22 AM
    chrisdav
    I believe Dr Cole is a talented surgeon and he is one of several whom have helped propel the field forward enabling it to make great strides in recent times.

However, I feel these regular outbursts are completely unprofessional and should not be coming from someone in his high position in the industry.

I have a huge amount of respect for Joetronic. He is an exceptionally knowledgeable, honest and a transparent guy who gives great advice. I do find it hard to criticise H & W when they are the only clinic that has hundreds of before and after photos & videos in HD which NO other clinic does.

Regarding the two procedures, they both have their positive & negative components and hence why they both have a place in the industry as every patient's situation is unique. A good surgeon that performs both procedures will confirm that.
  • 09-04-2013 06:23 AM
    Artista
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    That is not true. Both FUE and FUT each have their place. For some people FUT is the better option. There are more factors involved than you realize.

Tracy is very much correct.

So is Chrisdav, Thanks Chrisdav Your using nothing but logic !
  • 09-04-2013 08:02 AM
    35YrsAfter
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jotronic View Post
    Then why not reference one of your own patients? I mean, you referenced Bobman as a great result (appreciated) but then go on to talk about how he refused to show his result in a specific angle in bright sunlight. Was that even necessary?

And there is no illusion of coverage. That is a misconception. Coverage is coverage, period. The illusion you get when an HT is done right is one of density.

Let's say a Norwood 6 patient has 7,000 follicular units with a 2.6 hair average per follicular unit. That's 18,200 individual hairs available for transplant to the bald Norwood 6 area. 65,000 hairs is an average and reasonable estimate a Norwood 6 could have had in his bald area before there was any hair loss. 18,200 is 28% of the original 65,000 hairs. The concept of illusion of coverage should become obvious when you consider the math.

The following is a photo of our patient who had 3007 grafts placed. The photo was taken in the sun and with styling, the illusion of coverage is created. Neither FUE or FUT is the perfect solution to MPB. People in the forums speak of FUE and FUT as if there were some product consistency like buying a car. For instance, you buy a Chevy Volt in Washington state and it's going to be the same car you buy off a lot in North Carolina. This principle is not a wise mindset for a prospective patient to have when it comes to FUT and FUE. Check out the doctor's work before diving in. BTW, I just recommended our patient go see Dr. Wong for a scar revision. Our patient asked me about ACell and wants the doctor who does the scar revision to use ACell. There were alternatives, but I recommended our patient see Dr. Wong even if he doesn't agree or see value in using ACell. I have a history of being complimentary of H&W results in the forum when I think it's appropriate, but I'm not willing to venture into used car salesman territory, jumping on the bandwagon perpetuating myths that a 2013 technology hair transplant will give a Norwood 6 his full head of hair back. Dive in the lake, the hair parts down the middle and the 9,000 graft Norwood 6 is going to look thin on top. Under windy conditions the 9,000 graft Norwood 6 might wish he had given his hair an extra shot of super hold hairspray.
    Regarding jabs at ACell and PRP, if you feel strongly they are ineffective, you should contact the FDA and question their approval of ACell as a regenerative product. Also you might consider contacting Emory Hospital and University because they administer, teach, and promote the healing properties of PRP.

Again, here is our patient with a 3007-graft illusion of coverage as you requested. You may have heard the term "Steve Jobs reality distortion field". Bobman got a great result, on the other hand, reality distortion fields are not in the best interest of young men seeking a solution to their hair loss.

www.forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
  • 09-04-2013 12:41 PM
    didi
    Quote:

Let's say a Norwood 6 patient has 7,000 follicular units with a 2.6 hair average per follicular unit. That's 18,200 individual hairs available for transplant to the bald Norwood 6 area. 65,000 hairs is an average and reasonable estimate a Norwood 6 could have had in his bald area before there was any hair loss. 18,200 is 28% of the original 65,000 hairs. The concept of illusion of coverage should become obvious when you consider the math.

The following is a photo of our patient who had 3007 grafts placed. The photo was taken in the sun and with styling, the illusion of coverage is created. Neither FUE or FUT is the perfect solution to MPB. People in the forums speak of FUE and FUT as if there were some product consistency like buying a car. For instance, you buy a Chevy Volt in Washington state and it's going to be the same car you buy off a lot in North Carolina. This principle is not a wise mindset for a prospective patient to have when it comes to FUT and FUE. Check out the doctor's work before diving in. BTW, I just recommended our patient go see Dr. Wong for a scar revision. Our patient asked me about ACell and wants the doctor who does the scar revision to use ACell. There were alternatives, but I recommended our patient see Dr. Wong even if he doesn't agree or see value in using ACell. I have a history of being complimentary of H&W results in the forum when I think it's appropriate, but I'm not willing to venture into used car salesman territory, jumping on the bandwagon perpetuating myths that a 2013 technology hair transplant will give a Norwood 6 his full head of hair back. Dive in the lake, the hair parts down the middle and the 9,000 graft Norwood 6 is going to look thin on top. Under windy conditions the 9,000 graft Norwood 6 might wish he had given his hair an extra shot of super hold hairspray.
    Regarding jabs at ACell and PRP, if you feel strongly they are ineffective, you should contact the FDA and question their approval of ACell as a regenerative product. Also you might consider contacting Emory Hospital and University because they administer, teach, and promote the healing properties of PRP.

Again, here is our patient with a 3007-graft illusion of coverage as you requested. You may have heard the term "Steve Jobs reality distortion field". Bobman got a great result, on the other hand, reality distortion fields are not in the best interest of young men seeking a solution to their hair loss.

www.forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

Looking at the above numbers its pointless for most NW6s to have traditional HT...28% of original density is too thin and that's if guy is lucky to have 7000 grafts available..I always wonder what would this person look like under sunlight without hair sprays and makeup:confused:.

We desperately need donor regeneration in order to solve high NWs

35YrsAfter

"Dr. Cole has been exchanging emails with Dr. Nigam and recently requested more information about his research related to his claim of 100% regeneration.
    Dr. Nigam may be on to something. Dr. Cole has an open mind and will check this out."

Any update on this?
  • 09-04-2013 01:38 PM
    35YrsAfter
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by didi View Post
    Looking at the above numbers its pointless for most NW6s to have traditional HT...28% of original density is too thin and that's if guy is lucky to have 7000 grafts available..I always wonder what would this person look like under sunlight without hair sprays and makeup:confused:.

We desperately need donor regeneration in order to solve high NWs

35YrsAfter

"Dr. Cole has been exchanging emails with Dr. Nigam and recently requested more information about his research related to his claim of 100% regeneration.
    Dr. Nigam may be on to something. Dr. Cole has an open mind and will check this out."

Any update on this?

Here is an example of our Norwood 6 patient who received a little over 6,000 grafts. In my opinion his appearance from the front and sides is dramatically improved. Many younger people have standards that are not reachable for advanced Norwood patients. When I was 18 for instance a thinning spot on a man's head the size of a silver dollar was completely unacceptable. My expectations changed when I got older.

www.forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
  • 09-04-2013 01:42 PM
    Dan26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post

Fair enough. I'm bein a bit of a ball breaker tbh. I would never want to keep my sides long personally (or my entire head of hair), unless I had great density. Not a fan of oldman hair, even if it is nw1-2, I see a lot of middle aged guys walkin around that I believe would be better served with shorter cleaner hair styles.
  • 09-04-2013 02:24 PM
    topcat
    The illusion of density for those with extensive hairloss in my opinion outside of hair characteristics really comes down to placement. That small band about 3-4 cm behind the hairline really needs to be where most of the hair should be placed with it being much thinner in the hairline and crown at least this is my opinion and it seems many good clinics plan the same way. I think these young guys that go for the super density in the hairline are making a very big mistake but they are also very hard to convince. Even in my own situation the hairline probably has more than enough hair it’s that band behind the hairline that gives the illusion.

Note Oliver Stone’s photo here with different lighting. That second photo, the illusion is lost due to poor lighting but if that band behind the hairline had more density it is quite possible the illusion would still hold up even in that lighting and you would not have the tell tale see though look of the hair transplant.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...ps62919290.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...psce0e03c2.jpg
  • 09-04-2013 07:59 PM
    DesperateOne
    Artists I am sick of you hiding the cure from us, stop it already!!
  • 09-05-2013 05:48 AM
    3rd time
    I began as a nw6 at 28 years old. In the past 6 years i have had three HT's. All up about 7500 grafts. The above picture of Oliver stone was roughly what I was able to achieve. Unfortunately I was only able to cover the crown with very little hair.

The main problem for me is that I have no idea what the future will hold. Im in my early 30s I have a depleted donor and I cannot tolerate propecia even at very small doses. I'm so upset about this because it does wonders for keeping your native hair.

Through the whole process I can't say that so far I have been overjoyed with my results. I went to a very trusted doc who has a lot of respect from his peers and clients. My hair is dark and skin fairly pale so that doesn't help with the illusion of density. This doc gave me a terrible hairline and truly believe he could have utlilized the grafts in a better way.

My hair loss has continued to progress. This third procedure was done by a new Doc less than a month ago. The plan was to rejoin the side hair with the transplanted hair on the top. My native hair on the sides continued to recede and left the HT looking like an island of hair. This needed to be addressed. Also to add some density to the front hair line. Turned out to be a very long procedure due to popping and hoping I have no problems with yield. Finger crossed.

Currently under any type of harsh light I have no hair line. It just looks like a see through mess. I'm really hoping this third HT grows and gives me a hairline.
    I can only style my hair one way. That is, slicking it all back and using that method to cover some crown. I use concealers and will probably continue to do so. Just not enough density in the crown.

I'm a very bad example of a hair transplant candidate. However, once you start this journey you really can't go back... In the future if I do need more work I will look at FUE BHT and PRP.

I remember reading jotronics posts and seeing both his and bobmans results and thinking wow!!!!! Unfortunately my baldness was a lot more aggressive and got no where near the results they got. No propecia = more balding for me.

So for those guys that are young and have aggressive baldness my advice is;
    1. Get on propecia if you can. If you get side effects then try experimenting with a smaller dosage (speak to your HT doc) and hope your body can tolerate it. You need to halt future loss.
    2. Go for a conservative approach. Make sure your doc uses your grafts wisely. Meaning, add density behind the hairline where it's needed so you get less of that see through effect. I think you will still get that ugly see through look under certain lighting. However, if you can minimize that you've done well.
    3. Research your doc and be very specific as to what you want. You will have to make choices because your grafts will be limited so if a thin crown doesn't bother you then you can achieve something decent.
    4. Concealers may be needed if you want to cover most of the crown.
    5. Fancy hair styles are not an option. A simple slick back style will get you the most coverage.
    6. If the crown bothers you, speak to your doctor about a partial crown restoration and use that hair to cover the bald area.
    7. Take photos to see your results. As spex says, hair greed will occur and you will want more and more hair.
    8.Fix your hairline before you do anything else. After all that's the most important part.

When I look back at how I was as a nw6 to where I am now its a big difference. Am I 100% happy with my results? No. BUT I do look better, people that knew me before have said the same thing, im more confident and happier.

Anyway I hope this helps. Good luck and be prepared for a long journey. Take care.
  • 09-05-2013 05:51 AM
    3rd time
    Topcat

Great post. And excellent advice.
  • 09-05-2013 05:58 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Fair enough. I'm bein a bit of a ball breaker tbh. I would never want to keep my sides long personally (or my entire head of hair), unless I had great density. Not a fan of oldman hair, even if it is nw1-2, I see a lot of middle aged guys walkin around that I believe would be better served with shorter cleaner hair styles.

It's interesting how styles have transformed over the years. When I was a teenager and in my 20s, the popular short haircuts today would have been considered "oldman hair". I prefer today's styles BTW.

www.forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
  • 09-05-2013 06:15 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd time View Post
    I began as a nw6 at 28 years old. In the past 6 years i have had three HT's. All up about 7500 grafts. The above picture of Oliver stone was roughly what I was able to achieve. Unfortunately I was only able to cover the crown with very little hair.

The main problem for me is that I have no idea what the future will hold. Im in my early 30s I have a depleted donor and I cannot tolerate propecia even at very small doses. I'm so upset about this because it does wonders for keeping your native hair.

Through the whole process I can't say that so far I have been overjoyed with my results. I went to a very trusted doc who has a lot of respect from his peers and clients. My hair is dark and skin fairly pale so that doesn't help with the illusion of density. This doc gave me a terrible hairline and truly believe he could have utlilized the grafts in a better way.

My hair loss has continued to progress. This third procedure was done by a new Doc less than a month ago. The plan was to rejoin the side hair with the transplanted hair on the top. My native hair on the sides continued to recede and left the HT looking like an island of hair. This needed to be addressed. Also to add some density to the front hair line. Turned out to be a very long procedure due to popping and hoping I have no problems with yield. Finger crossed.

Currently under any type of harsh light I have no hair line. It just looks like a see through mess. I'm really hoping this third HT grows and gives me a hairline.
    I can only style my hair one way. That is, slicking it all back and using that method to cover some crown. I use concealers and will probably continue to do so. Just not enough density in the crown.

I'm a very bad example of a hair transplant candidate. However, once you start this journey you really can't go back... In the future if I do need more work I will look at FUE BHT and PRP.

I remember reading jotronics posts and seeing both his and bobmans results and thinking wow!!!!! Unfortunately my baldness was a lot more aggressive and got no where near the results they got. No propecia = more balding for me.

So for those guys that are young and have aggressive baldness my advice is;
    1. Get on propecia if you can. If you get side effects then try experimenting with a smaller dosage (speak to your HT doc) and hope your body can tolerate it. You need to halt future loss.
    2. Go for a conservative approach. Make sure your doc uses your grafts wisely. Meaning, add density behind the hairline where it's needed so you get less of that see through effect. I think you will still get that ugly see through look under certain lighting. However, if you can minimize that you've done well.
    3. Research your doc and be very specific as to what you want. You will have to make choices because your grafts will be limited so if a thin crown doesn't bother you then you can achieve something decent.
    4. Concealers may be needed if you want to cover most of the crown.
    5. Fancy hair styles are not an option. A simple slick back style will get you the most coverage.
    6. If the crown bothers you, speak to your doctor about a partial crown restoration and use that hair to cover the bald area.
    7. Take photos to see your results. As spex says, hair greed will occur and you will want more and more hair.
    8.Fix your hairline before you do anything else. After all that's the most important part.

When I look back at how I was as a nw6 to where I am now its a big difference. Am I 100% happy with my results? No. BUT I do look better, people that knew me before have said the same thing, im more confident and happier.

Anyway I hope this helps. Good luck and be prepared for a long journey. Take care.

Excellent post. Have you tried Avodart (Dutasteride)?

www.forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth