My story

Printable View

• 01-19-2018 07:38 PM
    JL1
    My story
    Hi all, I'm a 31 year old male who's been dealing with hairloss for about 10 years. I'm not sure where I fall on the Norwood Scale. I've provided some pictures. I haven't been able to use meds successfully to treat my hair due to side effects. So I've been exploring the hair transplant world and researching the topic extensively. I would love to restore my hair to its youthful glory -- as we all would -- and I'm aware that there isn't a "miracle" fix. Accessing all my options. I'm in Ohio and also looking into different doctors that are recommended by the IAHRS. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Where do I fall on the Norwood Scale? And does it seem like I could be a good candidate for a transplant? Or am I not far enough along in my hairloss journey?
    Thanks,
    -J
    http://i63.tinypic.com/zjzev4.jpg
    http://i67.tinypic.com/14tuceb.jpg
    http://i64.tinypic.com/m8fn12.jpg
  • 01-28-2018 03:53 AM
    Spurs1995
    You could definitely use a hair transplant, they are expensive which I'm sure you are aware of But there are many examples of people who have gone from almost completely bald to respectable hair. The current Chelsea football club manager Antonio Conte being a great example.
  • 01-29-2018 09:27 PM
    BaldBearded
    We are not the people to answer your questions about being a candidate for a transplant, despite what people here claim. I have not seen any of the doctors' reps chime in. First, they need to get an idea of how your progression has been, the likelihood of more hair loss in the future, and the viability of donor hair.

You have not shown any pics of your crown, so no idea to give an exact Norwood#. I would get a number of opinions, from actual surgeons. You may need to leave Ohio to find someone.

Best of luck.
  • 01-30-2018 03:44 AM
    Jazz1
    Hey I might be able to help as when I first used Finasteride I had major sides. 5 years on I am succesfully using Finasteride without side effects.

What have you used before? Your hair diffuse thinning looks great. You should be able to treat this easily before considering a transplant.
  • 01-30-2018 08:09 PM
    mrclean
    Without meds you will likely loose the rest so like BaldBearded said progression is key along with donar hair.
  • 02-02-2018 05:15 PM
    JL1
    Thanks all for the feedback. I've been discussing with surgeons and seeking out all the options/info I can. I haven't been able to use finasteride or minoxidil because it aggravates an inner ear problem I have (tinnitus), and makes it worse to an intolerable level. Are there effective alternative therapies, such as the iRestore Laser Hair Cap or other? I've been losing hair for about 10 years at a moderate pace. Here's more pics of my condition, including the crown and donor area. Would SMP benefit me for filling-in the thin?

http://i67.tinypic.com/2rq1qmw.png

http://i68.tinypic.com/280tgf6.png

http://i64.tinypic.com/23kt2kl.png

http://i67.tinypic.com/9kp650.png
  • 02-02-2018 11:04 PM
    BaldBearded
    If the laser caps worked... you would see people posting amazing results here. What they can't do, is have an effect on genetics or DHT. But they do make fortunes of $$$ for the companies that offer it. Charlatans have been using "electricity" (now lasers) to cure EVERYTHING.

I think you need a professional to chime in at this point, and seriously suggest an on-site visit to determine the potential outcome, costs, etc.

I have seen that many guys buzz, or shave their heads during the procedure. So you have to suffer multiple rounds of shaving off quite a bit of hair before you can grow it all back.

Have you considered a hair system? The results would be immediate, you would only have to shave off what the system covers, allowing you to use your remaining thick, long hair. You could always re-evaluate down the road... and see how much hair is left in ten-years time, or so.
  • 03-01-2018 07:06 PM
    JL1
    Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve actually been researching a lot and have since talked to a few surgeons, who all have said I’m a viable candidate for a HT. I’ve been told by a few that I need around 2,000 grafts, 2,500 tops. I’ve also explored hair systems. My biggest concerns with those are the ‘stigma’ and maintenance... + things like “will it itch” and “will you be self conscious of getting caught.” They definitely look good, if done right. Thanks for the feedback tho. Seems like there’s pros and cons to every possible treatment when combating hairloss, which is frustrating. That’s to be expected tho. It can be overwhelming bc there’s so much information online — often contradicting information. So it’s hard to make heads and tails out of the truth sometimes... all I know for sure is that I can’t take minodoxil and finasteride, so I sometimes wonder if I’ll be wasting my time getting a transplant. I’ll tell myself that I can always plan to get another one down the road once my native hairs go, which I guess is true. I often wonder... assuming what I said is just true, why do so many ppl act like finasteride is absolutely critical? Nobody wants to have to get 2 HTs over time, but if u can’t take F then what are you to do? Some ppl can’t do the side effects and shouldn’t be expected to.
  • 03-01-2018 10:19 PM
    BaldBearded
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve actually been researching a lot and have since talked to a few surgeons, who all have said I’m a viable candidate for a HT. I’ve been told by a few that I need around 2,000 grafts, 2,500 tops. I’ve also explored hair systems. My biggest concerns with those are the ‘stigma’ and maintenance... + things like “will it itch” and “will you be self conscious of getting caught.” They definitely look good, if done right. Thanks for the feedback tho. Seems like there’s pros and cons to every possible treatment when combating hairloss, which is frustrating. That’s to be expected tho. It can be overwhelming bc there’s so much information online — often contradicting information. So it’s hard to make heads and tails out of the truth sometimes... all I know for sure is that I can’t take minodoxil and finasteride, so I sometimes wonder if I’ll be wasting my time getting a transplant. I’ll tell myself that I can always plan to get another one down the road once my native hairs go, which I guess is true. I often wonder... assuming what I said is just true, why do so many ppl act like finasteride is absolutely critical? Nobody wants to have to get 2 HTs over time, but if u can’t take F then what are you to do? Some ppl can’t do the side effects and shouldn’t be expected to.

With a HT, you "may" get awesome results, and then you may continue to go bald, and are stuck, in 5-10 years from now need more, and in some cases, will never look right. You will be left with scars, and have few options if you don't get the look you want. You will also need to buzz your head, which in your case would take many months to get that length back.

With a hair replacement, you have almost instant results (a good custom system will take 8-10 weeks to receive). You will, of course, need to shave the area being covered, but there are no scars. I have ordered my first system and waiting for the appointment to have it attached and cut. They don't itch, they are lightweight, and if done correctly, will perfectly match your color, density, texture, etc. They don't come off, and depending on the base, are totally undetectable.
  • 03-02-2018 03:03 PM
    pkipling
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JL1 View Post

So much to touch on here. First off, based on your photos and the feedback you've gotten from your consultations, I would agree that you would be a viable candidate for a HT. Yes, there are pros and cons to getting a HT and several factors you have to consider, but that's the same for any path you choose to take to address your hair loss. There's no one size fits all solution to MPB, and all you can do is research like crazy, ask lots of questions, find a few really reputable surgeons whose opinions you trust, and then weigh all the information to make the decision that is best for you.

Regarding Finasteride, I don't think it's a deal breaker if you don't take it. I took it for a couple of years, but stopped about a year ago. Many other guys have successful hair transplant experiences without taking Finasteride as well. It's also a misconception that Fin actually stops your hair loss, but it doesn't. It simply slows it down, so from that point of view, you'll see that it really isn't as critical as many people make it out to be. Can it help? Absolutely. But if it's not something you feel comfortable with, it's not the end of the world.

You also mentioned how "nobody wants to have to get 2 HTs over time." I would venture to say that anyone considering a hair transplant should accept upfront that they will most likely need a second one. Not always, but as a general rule, you shouldn't expect this to be a one and done thing. Hair loss is progressive, and especially if you're not taking fin, your hair loss may progress even more rapidly and you may find yourself needing a followup procedure at some point down the road. There are quite a few different factors that play into this, the main one being able to get a good idea of how stabilized your hair loss is. Surgeons can get a pretty good idea of where your hair loss is heading based on your age, genetics, and looking at the miniaturization levels of your existing hair. It's not fool proof, but a good surgeon can get enough information to make an educated guess about the future road map of your hair and plan accordingly... And that, ultimately, is one of the keys to a successful hair transplant. How can you restore your hair in a way that will be age appropriate years down the road and also take into account the number of grafts you have available in your donor supply and just how many you'll need overtime to give you the longterm results you need.

So take your time and really find a few surgeons who you think can help you make these decisions and steer you in the right direction. Then follow your gut and proceed the way you feel is best for you.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM