• 01-19-2012 01:35 AM
    spreadlocks
    2000 Grafts Plus 400 Free Grafts With Dr. Feller. NY.
    Hello guys. I posted my experience with Dr. Feller on another forum but as I have these forums to thank for lots of my research I want to contribute here too. Below is my account of my first HT on Monday gone.

Like most guys I noticed a tiny bit of hair loss in mid to late 20s which got worse nearer to 30. I started Finestride and managed to stabilise that (I'm nearly 33 now). Around that time I almost booked a HT with a UK clinic with virtually no research but due to forums such as this one and the clinic having a particularly unlikable salesman I managed to avoid that one. Over the last few years I have been strongly considering a HT and last year decided to take the plunge. I had online consultations with some of the top guys and then finally got in touch with spex.

I am aware that this is probably going to sound more like a love letter than a write up but I can not say enough good things about Spex. For one I have never known anyone as efficient at replying to texts, calls and emails. No matter what the question, or how many questions there were he always gets back immediately which really helps put your mind to rest. On top of that, although he is passionate about Dr. Fellers work he made no attempt to try and "Hard Sell" me at all. In fact, the first thing he said was that both of the surgeons I was considering were great and would do a top job. This was a real contrast to the HT salespeople I had spoken to in the past. I decided that having that contact and Dr. Fellers countless, consistently good results made him the choice for me.

On Monday I got to the Docs office and met him at 7:45. He said that I was really displaying a masterful combover and at first glance it didn't look like I needed a HT at all : ) It wasn't until I pulled my hair back that the true story showed. Originally I wanted to go really aggressive with the hairline filling in the temples too (as I imagine most people would want to in a perfect world). The doc however explained to me that I had a decent amount of miniaturisation on the hairs back in my head and that I would be better off using my grafts to increase the density further back, thus saving further HT's in the future. He also said I maybe want to consider more grafts which was unfortunately not possible due to financial reasons (I had paid for 2000). At this point I was feeling pretty down which I am pretty sure the Dr. Feller could tell. He then explained to me that we could easily work around the centre of my hair (which will be the last to go) and still achieve maximum density. This really made me feel a lot better and much more at ease. He then drew the hairline on and again I thought it looked good. I must say that Dr. Feller has a very good way of a) explaining things in a very straightforward way and B) making you feel completely at ease with what is happening. He has a rare quality of making you feel very comfortable that you are in the hands of a professional but at the same time relaxing you with a few jokes and a casual manner. By the time we got in the operating room my original concerns had subsided and Dr. Feller had assured me we could really increase the density around the hairline. He showed me some other examples of what we could aim for and explained how we will be using state of the art techniques to achieve maximum density.

My head was shaved and I was administered the numbing injections which didn't bother me in slightest. I have many many tattoos so needles are no biggy. The doc worked around the back of my head with the technician and within about 20 mins he said "right done". I literally felt nothing. So little so that I was unaware of when he was working or not. All through this part of the procedure I chatted to Dr. Feller, telling jokes, talking about random day-to-day things and even touching on a bit of politics. It was all very casual and I felt completely at ease.

Next up Dr. Feller made the incisions in the top of my head. For this part he explained that he would not be talking as he needed maximum concentration. This was fine with me and I had a little snooze. Again I had no real idea when he was working or not other than the strange sound which is hard to describe unless you have had a HT. Again this part felt quite quick. Maybe 45 mins if that.

Next up the technicians place the grafts into my head. I am pretty sure not enough gets said about the technicians because they really were excellent. At one point I was struggling to sit still as I thought I just had a stiff neck. Without me saying anything one of the technicians explained that she could see I was struggling. I told her that it was just cause I had a stiff neck. She explained that although I thought it was that it was a stiff neck, it was probably a little pain from the staples. She adjusted something and instantly I felt great again. She obviously knew what she was talking about. I chatted to all of the technicians throughout the whole procedure. One of them, had some free credit for a European airline which had to be used by January and she even offered to give me it. They really had a great bedside manner and again I felt completely at ease.

Here is the good bit. Once the grafts had been placed, Dr feller came back in and explained that he had been able to harvest another 400 grafts on top of the initial 2000 and that if I wanted he could also shave down the middle bit and place these grafts for free, thus eradicating the need for another procedure in the near future. I really couldn't believe it and I was massively grateful. I think that the doc understands how much this affects peoples lives being a HT patient himself and genuinely wants to help. He also explained that if he makes me look good I then make him look good which is bang on really. I can not thank him enough for this though and I massively appreciate the generosity. He shaved some more, made the other 400 incisions and the technicians planted the grafts. All of this went quite quickly and the whole thing was finished before 14:30.

(Ah yeah. They also got me a sandwich for lunch and the roast beef on wholemeal I had was really good. Nice rare beef thinly sliced with tomato and mustard : )

Finally I was given all of the aftercare instructions, some medication, a tool to remove the staples and a baseball cap. The doctor showed me some of my photos and away I went with my new HT. I also received an email from Spex the next day wishing me well and telling me how the doctor had said the procedure went well.

Ultimately I had a first class experience with Spex and all of the staff at Feller medical and I would definitely recommend them.

Now here comes the hard part eh? Best get remastering that combover because there is a lot more area to combover now

If anyone has any questions about going to NY please hit me up. I can remember lots about the transport, hotel, where I ate out, the food I bought in etc.
  • 01-19-2012 01:44 AM
    spreadlocks
  • 01-19-2012 01:49 AM
    spreadlocks
  • 01-19-2012 08:03 AM
    PayDay
    Thanks for taking the time to make such a thorough post. Dr. Feller does great work! He used to be on The Bald Truth a lot, but I haven't heard him on the show for a couple of years. He’s very funny. I’m in New York and when I decide to go for it Feller is on the top of my list. Your transplant looks like it’s going to turn out great! Please keep us updated.
  • 01-19-2012 08:49 AM
    spreadlocks
    Thanks. I will deffo keep updated with pics every month or so.
  • 01-21-2012 03:34 AM
    chrisdav
    I am very confident your going to have an excellent result Spreadlocks.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Patience is essential for this process, but you need have no worries as you were in the hands of one of the best around.
  • 01-21-2012 04:55 AM
    spreadlocks
    Thank you Chrisdav. I am feeling a lot more positive today and the "weird" kind of feeling has sort of subsided : )
  • 01-21-2012 11:32 AM
    RichDestiny
    Looks like you will have great results.

I'm curious, did he give you the option to shave your whole head? And would the shaving be necessary if you were thinner on top?
  • 01-21-2012 12:25 PM
    Folly
    Hi Spreadlocks,

I can't see it from your pre-op pics, but you were obviously thinning in the mid scalp, as Dr.Feller placed grafts there too. I like the fact that Dr.Feller placed grafts there as well, as it doesn't look like it was necessary from the pics, but you obviously had minituarisation there too. Sound like a great approach to me, as it gives the patient a few more years i guess before they need to come back for another HT (as long as there is no damage to existing native hairs). Did Dr. Feller say anything about existing native hairs being damaged by placing the new grafts ? You obviously had a lot of native hairs in the placement area (mid scalp), so i'm wondering if you were at a higher risk. I'm guessing the risk is small with a great surgeon like him, but i'm just wondering what he said about it ?

Also, did he say that you would need to come back for another session to achieve a dense hairline, or is that expected to be covered in this surgery ?

I'm sure you'll have great results dude !!
  • 01-21-2012 01:38 PM
    spreadlocks
    Hi Folly. Thanks for the reply and the good wishes.

As mentioned, I originally wanted to go really aggressive with the hairline but Dr Feller explained that I had some miniaturisation in the midscalp so any extra grafts would be best placed there for exactly the reason that you stated. He said by thickening that area up it would prevent me from having to have another procedure soon to repair that area if it further deteriorates. This contingency plan made good sense to me and also reassured me that the doc obviously had my best interest in mind rather than potentially making an extra quick buck by having me back for another surgery soon.

As for damage, we didn't discuss it too much but he assured me that he placed the grafts as carefully as possible to minimise the amount of damage. Of course there is always some chance of damage but with careful surgery, being on Fin and having fairly strong hair I am hoping that if there is any it is an unnoticeable amount.

The doc assured me we would be working at maximum density with the dense pack technique in the hairline. It was the first thing we discussed and my number one priority. We actually did only work in the hairline and at the sides with the original 2000 grafts that I purchased. It was only after this was done and the doc offered to give me the extra 400 grafts that we shaved down the forelock and did some work there.

@RichDestiny. Thanks too. I explained to him that I didn't want to shave my whole head as I am going to try and use the thick hair at the back and sides of my head to do the mega combover. Haha. I started testing it today and miraculously it is working to some degree. I recon I'll have it mastered by next week when I have to go to work. Actually I'll post a few pics in a minute. Thinking of giving up my job to be a hair stylist. Hahaha.
  • 01-21-2012 01:42 PM
    spreadlocks
    The mega combover. Not amazing but possibly decent enough to see me through at work. Just gonna wear a hat at weekends.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/picture...pictureid=4133

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/picture...pictureid=4132

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/picture...pictureid=4134
  • 01-21-2012 02:21 PM
    Folly
    Holy sh#t dude, how the hell have you managed that comb over ? Your procedure was only 2-3 weeks ago right ? And the doc shaved most of your head !! That's ridiculously good !

Quote:

Thinking of giving up my job to be a hair stylist
    You should bruv !!!

Anyway, i'm quite interested in your case. I met with Spex in London recently too and he's a really nice guy. I'm planning on having a strip with Dr.Feller at the end of the year. I have a similar recession to you, but a bit less. I'm 28. I want to have the 1st inch of my hairline densely packed via strip, but looking at your case, i'm wondering if the doc will add some more density past the 1 inch mark to areas where i'm also slightly minituarising. But i still have very thick hair there so i'm not sure. But you seemed to have thick enough hair in the mid scalp too, so let's see what the doc says. It would be nice to get problematic areas covered in a session when it's not really needed, to prevent/delay future surgeries. As long as it doesn't damage existing native hairs. I had 1,250 FUE grafts about 10 months ago with f#ck all growth. Definitely sticking to strip from now on.

Have your grafts fallen out yet ? Are you using minoxidil on the grafts ?
  • 01-22-2012 01:36 AM
    Spex
    Congrats mate! Well done - Be patient as a long road ahead but one well worth it :cool:

Best
    S
  • 01-22-2012 05:49 AM
    spreadlocks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Folly View Post
    Holy sh#t dude, how the hell have you managed that comb over ? Your procedure was only 2-3 weeks ago right ? And the doc shaved most of your head !! That's ridiculously good !

You should bruv !!!

Anyway, i'm quite interested in your case. I met with Spex in London recently too and he's a really nice guy. I'm planning on having a strip with Dr.Feller at the end of the year. I have a similar recession to you, but a bit less. I'm 28. I want to have the 1st inch of my hairline densely packed via strip, but looking at your case, i'm wondering if the doc will add some more density past the 1 inch mark to areas where i'm also slightly minituarising. But i still have very thick hair there so i'm not sure. But you seemed to have thick enough hair in the mid scalp too, so let's see what the doc says. It would be nice to get problematic areas covered in a session when it's not really needed, to prevent/delay future surgeries. As long as it doesn't damage existing native hairs. I had 1,250 FUE grafts about 10 months ago with f#ck all growth. Definitely sticking to strip from now on.

Have your grafts fallen out yet ? Are you using minoxidil on the grafts ?

Haha. Dude, it was 5 days ago. The procedure was Monday, the pics were Saturday : )

I think there is not much point trying to pre empt what will be said in the consultation. I went over it like 1000 times in my head but until the doc has inspected your hair I guess you will never know how much hair loss you have exactly. My hair in the mid section looked thick in the pics as it was long and all pulled back but I guess there must have been more loss there than I thought.

Not using Minoxidil. Have never used it and don't wanna become reliant. Fin alone has always been good for me. I started using it about 2 - 3 years ago and honesty can't remember losing a single hair since starting.

Sorry to hear about your bad result with FUE man. Which doctor did you go to? Have you had any kind of explanation as to why it didn't work??
  • 01-22-2012 05:59 AM
    RichDestiny
    Wow, dude! Combover Hall of Fame, right there.

Best of luck.
  • 01-22-2012 05:14 PM
    Folly
    Quote:

Sorry to hear about your bad result with FUE man. Which doctor did you go to? Have you had any kind of explanation as to why it didn't work??
    Don't want to mention his name yet, until the 12 month mark passes. My transplanted hairs grew from months 3-9 and fell out. My HT surgeon pulled some out with tweezers himself when i saw him, as they were just 'loose' on my hairline. I was shedding really badly for 9 months after the surgery for some reason. He said it was telogen effluvium and that's why the grafts were falling out. He did the 'pluck' test and pulled out something like 15-20 hairs, can't remember. Turns out, it was just aggressive MPB. Must have been triggered by the surgery. I've never had massive shedding before, as i've had hairs miniaturizing on my hairline since i was 17, but at a snails pace. Went to a derm after surgery and found out that 60% of the hairs on the top of my head have been shedding for the past 9 months, which is A LOT of hair loss for 9 months. My whole house was covered in hair. LOL. Shedding has stopped the past 6 weeks and i'm on propecia now too.

Anyway, my HT surgeon was wrong about the transplanted hairs falling out because i was going through telogen effluvium. The transplanted hairs were growing and falling out because the follicles underneath were damaged, obviously by the FUE extraction or placement process. This happened to about 80-85% of my grafts. Didn't even need a HT last year and all i got from it was 9 months of intense shedding after the HT, causing me to lose sh#t loads of native hair.

Live and learn eh !!
  • 01-23-2012 06:11 AM
    spreadlocks
    Quote:

Don't want to mention his name yet, until the 12 month mark passes. My transplanted hairs grew from months 3-9 and fell out. My HT surgeon pulled some out with tweezers himself when i saw him, as they were just 'loose' on my hairline. I was shedding really badly for 9 months after the surgery for some reason. He said it was telogen effluvium and that's why the grafts were falling out. He did the 'pluck' test and pulled out something like 15-20 hairs, can't remember. Turns out, it was just aggressive MPB. Must have been triggered by the surgery. I've never had massive shedding before, as i've had hairs miniaturizing on my hairline since i was 17, but at a snails pace. Went to a derm after surgery and found out that 60% of the hairs on the top of my head have been shedding for the past 9 months, which is A LOT of hair loss for 9 months. My whole house was covered in hair. LOL. Shedding has stopped the past 6 weeks and i'm on propecia now too.

Anyway, my HT surgeon was wrong about the transplanted hairs falling out because i was going through telogen effluvium. The transplanted hairs were growing and falling out because the follicles underneath were damaged, obviously by the FUE extraction or placement process. This happened to about 80-85% of my grafts. Didn't even need a HT last year and all i got from it was 9 months of intense shedding after the HT, causing me to lose sh#t loads of native hair.

Live and learn eh !!

Damn. I am so sorry to hear this man. I really feel for you.

It's also scary to hear about the agressive MB possibly being triggered by the HT. I really hope you can get this sorted out man. I'll keep in touch with you too about how my growth is coming on. Also if you have any questions at all about the procedure with DR Feller just hit me up.
  • 01-28-2012 08:52 AM
    spreadlocks
  • 01-29-2012 04:50 AM
    Folly
    Looks like you have healed incredibly well and you seem to have NO redness in the recipient area. Mine lingered for about 5 months. You lucky sod !!

Did any grafts come off with your scabs ? Your central hairline area look very dense. Should look great when it grows in. Did Dr. Feller mention what desnity FU/cm^2 he was aiming for at the hairline ?
  • 01-29-2012 06:20 AM
    spreadlocks
    Ah. Thanks very much man. I think I am a fairly efficient healer. I have loads of tattoos and they have always healed fairly quickly.

I have definitely lost some hairs but not noticed any grafts with the scabs. Just sometimes when I rub my hair with my hand I'll find a tiny wispy hair on my hand or sometimes I'll see one of the tiny wispy hairs on my laptop after I have been using it.

Rather than discuss a number per cm2 I showed him pictures of one of his results that I really liked the density of, and asked if we could work at that density? He told me that he always woks at that density so we would be.

This was the result I showed him by the way.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...al/tdpost7.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...dical/1atd.jpg
  • 01-29-2012 07:22 AM
    Folly
    That density is perfect. I've been noticing how fine hairs give so much more of a natural appearance. Do you fine hair ?

So did Dr.Feller say that this sort of density would be achieved from this single surgery, or will it be from another 'touch up' surgery ?
  • 01-29-2012 07:55 AM
    spreadlocks
    Nah. I have pretty thick hairs. I think anyway.

Yeah. The doc said he always works at that density in the hairline and that he would be with me. He said that if I needed another surgery it would be if I started to lose hair further back in my head (As in the crown etc. )not to increase density at the front. I specifically said that the density in the hairline was my number one priority and he told me that we would be working at this high density in the front with the 2000 grafts. As mentioned, he later told me that he was able to give me a further 400 grafts for free but these were used to go back into my forelock (which we were originally not going to work on) as he had already worked at high density around the hairline.
  • 01-29-2012 11:55 AM
    Folly
    Nice one mate. Fingers crossed you'll have great growth and you won't have to think about your hair for many many years.That's all i want from surgery anyway. :)
  • 01-30-2012 03:15 AM
    Spex
    Thanks for the update :cool:
  • 02-16-2012 01:30 PM
    spreadlocks
  • 02-16-2012 03:50 PM
    Folly
    Thanks for the update mate. It's tough when your transplanted hairs initially shed, because you always have a bit of hope that the grafts will stay put.

Your scar looks good. Did you experience any shock loss? Dr. Feller went into quite a lot of native hair. I just read on another post and never actually realised that shock loss is actually speeding up your MPB. If you lose terminal hairs to shock loss after surgery, they come back thinner if you have MPB.....which is a terrible as you've probably fast forwarded your MPB by a few years !! :(
  • 02-17-2012 06:33 AM
    spreadlocks
    Cheers man. You are bang on. There is that tiny glimmer of hope that you will avoid the sleep period and just grow through. Haha. Nah. I prepared myself for the shed and to be honest now, it ain’t bothering me that much. Even if I get to where I was pre HT by like 3 months then that gives me enough breathing space to give the new grafts time to grow and mature.
    Really not sure on Shock loss man. It’s hard to say as I was wearing my hair long. If the hair that is in my recipient area now is all native hair then I probably haven’t had much, if any shock loss as it is probs similar to how it was before. If however, some of those hairs are still new grafts that will shed over the coming month, then that will leave my recipient area less dense and will probably mean I had some shock loss. It will be hard to say for another month or so. Actually, on closer inspection there probably is some further back in my recipient area. Not at the very front though yet. Do you know at what timescale shock loss usually occurs? Is it within the first month or later? Fingers crossed, I have managed to skip and severe shock loss.
    As for the donor, again, I am not so sure. I have fairly thick hair which is a few of centimetres long around the side so it’s hard to tell. It certainly doesn’t seem like there is any severe shockloss. I got my girlfriend to take the scar picture and she said that she was struggling to find it (Which is great news as it’s only 1 month out). I saw a guy on another forum who had strip with Feller 6 months ago. He had his hair shaved down to like a 1 guard and his scar was hardly visible. I’ll be ecstatic if mine ends up like that as I’ll be able to shave down to a 2 guard on the sides which is how I like to wear my hair.
    As for the speeding up the MPB thing, I have just tried to stop looking at anything negative online now. The first 2 weeks post op I would read disaster stories n stuff then start getting worried. Then I realised, the op is done, there is nothing I can do about it now and worrying ain’t gonna help hair grow. I have been trying to think about it as little as possible. I understand that you had a less than stellar result from your FUE though man so you need to be considering everything. How has that been by the way? Any progress at all?
  • 02-18-2012 02:03 PM
    Folly
    Hey dude,

Quote:

Originally Posted by spreadlocks View Post
    Do you know at what timescale shock loss usually occurs? Is it within the first month or later? Fingers crossed, I have managed to skip and severe shock loss.

I believe it usually happens within 2-3 weeks, but may also occur within a couple of months post-op.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spreadlocks View Post
    I understand that you had a less than stellar result from your FUE though man so you need to be considering everything. How has that been by the way? Any progress at all?

Nah, still no growth. I've accepted that FUE surgery i had last year has been a complete failure. It was just strange how my grafts re-grew (after the initial shed) and then fell out again. Dr. Cole is helping me work out why this happened in another thread, which is kool because he's like the FUE jesus.

Only positive is i've stopped shedding for the past 2.5 months. I've been on propecia for 2.5 months too and not had an initial shed. Hopefully if i make it to 3 months, i don't think i'll have an initial shed. Fingers crossed propecia will help me maintain what i have for a few years.

I remeber you saying you were on propecia too. Has it stoped you losing hair ? Did it stop/slow down your receeding hairline ? Any sides? I thought i've been having a reduced libido lately, but i think it's all in my head.

Cheers.
  • 02-23-2012 02:25 PM
    spreadlocks
    Man. I am so sorry to hear about the FUE but glad to hear your shedding has stopped with the propecia.

I started propecia about 3 years ago and honestly do not think I have lost any hair whatsoever since being on it. I have pics of how I looked then and it was the same as when I went in for my HT. No hair loss at all for about 3 years. It's why I have never bothered with Minoxidil or Nizoral. Because the finestride has been amazing for me. I also did not have any initial shed with propecia.

Also I have not had any sides at all from it. No loss of libido or issue with erections. In fact, at almost 33 years old I am probably hornier than I have ever been. Haha. I still wake up with morning wood virtually every day.
    There has been twice though when I have had a drop in Libido and immediately I thought "Is it the finestride" but it has merely been times of stress or worry and everything has went back to normal within a couple of weeks. Once was when I was going to lose my job and the other was the week before my surgery when I was nervous. I am pretty sure it is normal not to feel particularly horney during times like that anyway and in hindsight it wasn't anything to do with the finestride.

Of course though, some people do have issues with it so keep an eye.
  • 02-23-2012 03:29 PM
    Folly
    Glad to hear you've done well with Propecia. I feel like i've had a significant drop in libido since propecia, but like you i've also gone through patches in the past where i'm not horny, purely due to anxiety/stress. I think it's all in my head. Regardless, i'd rather keep my hair and be less horny, if it is in fact the propecia.

Good luck with the growth.
  • 02-23-2012 04:22 PM
    chrisis
    Folly, what dose are you on? Have you tried reducing it?

I don't think it's in your head. Too many of us mentioning it.
  • 02-23-2012 05:50 PM
    Folly
    1 Attachment(s)
    I've been on 1mg daily for almost 3 months now. Still have the same sort of erections as before, but feeling a loss in libido and not had morning erections in a while either. Although i didn't have morning erections for a while before propecia too, probably due to stress. I'll probably stay on propecia at 1mg/day for another 3 months. I really want to see if it starts to fill in the thinning i have in my crown (see attached picture).

If there's no signs of regrowth and i still have a drop in libido, i'll start taking it every other day. Since it's not affecting my erections, i'm not panicking tbh. Anyway, there's a good chance my libido will come back to normal if i stay on the drug.

The mind is a powerfull thing. I was quite stressed out last year with my hair loss, my HT and some other sh#t, and for the first time in my life started having erection problems and a drop in libido (at age 28). I was convinced i had some hormonal/blood problem, but after some investigating, my endrochronologist told me it was all in my head. He was right. My erections went back to normal after a while, but i do my best not to get stressed out nowadays.
  • 02-23-2012 06:27 PM
    chrisis
    You could drop your dose to 0.25 or 0.5mg. We're talking about a marginal difference in effectiveness and might help with any sides.
  • 02-24-2012 03:21 AM
    Folly
    Cheers for the advice Chrisis. It's probably a bad time to start propecia when you're already having a loss in libido and just getting over erection problems, but my MPB really kicked off last year, so i was forced into it. Still unsure if the loss in libido/no morning erections is due to propecia, or just stress. Going to speak to my dermatologist in a few weeks and see what he says about reducing the dosage, like you mentioned.

Just had some testosterone/estrogen blood tests done last week, so i'm still awaiting the results. I've always had a slightly elevated estrogen level, which is known to cause poor erections/loss in libido in men. It will be interesting to see if propecia has increased my estorgen levels (apparently it can), which may have caused my drop in libido these past couple of months. Will let you guys know if anyone is interested.

I know propecia doesn't regrow hair in the hairline, but does it stop/slow down loss in that area ? I know it's effective on the top of the head and the 'anterior mid scalp'. Does 'anterior mid scalp' cover the front section of the hairline ? So that just leaves the temples where propecia is not effective ?
  • 02-24-2012 08:52 AM
    chrisis
    Quote:

I know propecia doesn't regrow hair in the hairline, but does it stop/slow down loss in that area ? I know it's effective on the top of the head and the 'anterior mid scalp'. Does 'anterior mid scalp' cover the front section of the hairline ? So that just leaves the temples where propecia is not effective ?

Hi again Folly, please let us know the results of your blood test! I will be interested for sure.

As far as I understand, the trials that have been conducted by Merck only looked at hair loss in the crown area. They can't advertise on their labels that it's effective for frontal/hairline loss, but anecdotal evidence suggests that many men do have success there. Sorry it's impossible to be more clear, but it seems to depend a lot on the individual. As long as you're happy about taking the drug from the perspective of your sexual health, the only way you can know if it will work is if you try it. There are few other options unfortunately :(
  • 03-16-2012 02:39 PM
    spreadlocks
  • 03-16-2012 02:43 PM
    spreadlocks
    Does anyone know why the pics auto resize when I upload them to this site? These pics are all big and really clear by automatically uploaded small.
  • 03-16-2012 08:49 PM
    Folly
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Hi again Folly, please let us know the results of your blood test! I will be interested for sure.

Hey Chrisis, got my blood results back. My testosterone came back the same as it always does, which was on the high side but within the limit. As i mentioned, what i was interested in was the estrogen levels, because I've read that propecia can increase these levels in men. This is not good, as high estrogen can cause loss of libido, poor boners and MITS (man tits). I had my estrogen level measured 4 times last year and it always came back high. The range is 40 - 160 pmol/L and mine was on average 170 pmol/L (around 45 pg/L). I was told by the endocrinologist that this level wasn't high enough to cause MITS, which i was really shitting myself about. I was worried propecia would increase my estrogen level, but incredibly it has lowered it !! My latest estrogen level was 126 pmol/L, which is within the range. However, I'm still suffering from low libido and poor erections. I've lowered my propecia dose to 0.5 mg/daily. My libido is totally non existent at the moment which is really worrying, but it was reasonably good last week. I'm 99% sure it's all stress related and not propecia. Just going through a bad patch in life tbh. Going to see a urologist next week to see if he can confirm it's all in my head.
  • 03-16-2012 08:56 PM
    Folly
    Hey spreadlocks, not sure about the resize thingy mate. Spex will know.

Doesn't look like you had too much (if any) shock loss. I forgot you pretty much had a full head of hair pre-op. I'm assuming that's all your native hair in the pic and your transplanted hairs have shed. If that's the case, your results are going to look crazy good dude !! Keep us posted bro :cool:
  • 03-17-2012 01:16 AM
    spreadlocks
    Thanks a lot mate. Yeah, i think this is mostly native hair.

I really hope things work out for you with the finestride and everything else.

One question man? Just out of curiosity. Have you ever lifted weights? I just assume that with high testosterone levels you would probably be able to get really strong and muscular naturally.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

How can I promote my own business?
08-31-2022 01:29 PM
Last Post By samibaceri
Today 01:30 AM
Dr Woods doinf European tour?
09-15-2012 03:44 AM
by didi
Last Post By kathysmith