Dear Dr Redmond

Printable View

• 03-24-2009 09:58 PM
    JoJo
    Dear Dr Redmond
    Hello,

My name is Joyti and I am from Vancouver, BC, Canada. For the past 6 months I have experiencing various alopecia spots all over my head.

I am a 27 year old female.

It all began on the back of my head, behind my left ear and I now have spots along the front edge of my hair line.

It has began to ruin my life and I am more depressed than ever.

I have a question. Do you see international patients? I am finding it very difficult to locate physicans who specialize in alopecia as much as you do.

I went to my family Dr today and booked an appointment with an endocrinologist.

In the case that you cannot see me, or I cannot make it, are there any specific questions or tests that I should demand getting done? I am lost and alone in this fight.

Any help would mean the world to me.

Thank you

Joyti
  • 04-26-2009 05:27 PM
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
    Hello,

My name is Joyti and I am from Vancouver, BC, Canada. For the past 6 months I have experiencing various alopecia spots all over my head.

I am a 27 year old female.

It all began on the back of my head, behind my left ear and I now have spots along the front edge of my hair line.

It has began to ruin my life and I am more depressed than ever.

I have a question. Do you see international patients? I am finding it very difficult to locate physicans who specialize in alopecia as much as you do.

I went to my family Dr today and booked an appointment with an endocrinologist.

In the case that you cannot see me, or I cannot make it, are there any specific questions or tests that I should demand getting done? I am lost and alone in this fight.

Any help would mean the world to me.

Thank you

Joyti

Hair loss in spots is usually alopecia areata. This is due to the immune system attacking the hair follicles. The only treatment is injections of cortisone-like medication into the affected scalp. Alopecia areata is not hormonal I can be associated with an underactive thyroid so this needs to be tested for but, unfortunately, treating the thyroid problem, if there is one, does not help the hair. So I think the first step for you is to get a clear diagnosis so treatment can be worked out for you.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth