• 01-10-2016 09:41 PM
    winkywoo
    A beginners guide to hair systems...
    Hi. Although I'm not bald enough yet to wear a piece - it may well be an option in a few years if finasteride doesn't hold on to my hair. (so far so good!) The whole process seems confusing and daunting so I have a few questions. I've been looking at Total Cover Plus and they seem like a great place to go to as it's basically all done for you. Literally just like going to get your hair cut.
    Here are my questions.

1: Who are trust worthy suppliers? (I'm in the UK)

2: If you order a system online, where do you then go to get it cut in to your own hair?

3: How long does a decent system last? (I have been looking at Total Cover Plus and they say to replace the system every 2 months but I read on forums that guys can make their system last up to a year?)

4: To get a system cut and fitted with Total Cover Plus is about 400 pounds every 2 months. Is it cheaper to order elsewhere?

Thanks.
  • 01-11-2016 05:04 AM
    grincher
    If you DIY - basically managing it from home apart from the cuts then you should be spending £300 to £500 a year.

TCP use some kind of disposal system which is expensive and not particuarly special. There are two major problems with their approach - firstly they are not there to teach you as its not in their interest for you to learn about bases, hair types, density, care, bonding etc.

Secondly, I would never want a unit stuck to my head for 8-weeks!

I reattach every 3 or 4 weeks max to keep it all nice and fresh. 8-weeks would be a nightmare especially if it starts to lift and you dont know how to deal with it and work tomorrow!

My supplier does ultra thin skin and they seem to be good for 4-months. I also use a Swiss lace piece and that's 6 to 12-months. I'm in month 7 with my current piece and I expect another 5 months.

An online supplier should have an arrangement with one or more salons to help you cut it in.

I made the swap before I was too bald. In fact, I still had a reasonable amount of hair but wanted to make a discrete change without much attention.
  • 01-11-2016 07:32 AM
    winkywoo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by grincher View Post
    If you DIY - basically managing it from home apart from the cuts then you should be spending £300 to £500 a year.

TCP use some kind of disposal system which is expensive and not particuarly special. There are two major problems with their approach - firstly they are not there to teach you as its not in their interest for you to learn about bases, hair types, density, care, bonding etc.

Secondly, I would never want a unit stuck to my head for 8-weeks!

I reattach every 3 or 4 weeks max to keep it all nice and fresh. 8-weeks would be a nightmare especially if it starts to lift and you dont know how to deal with it and work tomorrow!

My supplier does ultra thin skin and they seem to be good for 4-months. I also use a Swiss lace piece and that's 6 to 12-months. I'm in month 7 with my current piece and I expect another 5 months.

An online supplier should have an arrangement with one or more salons to help you cut it in.

I made the swap before I was too bald. In fact, I still had a reasonable amount of hair but wanted to make a discrete change without much attention.

Thank you for your response. May I ask if you know of any good online suppliers? Especially if they are based in the UK. Also, how does it work when your natural hair starts to grow but the systems hair does not? Do you just go back to that salon a couple of months later to get another trim?
  • 01-11-2016 09:21 AM
    grincher
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winkywoo View Post
    Thank you for your response. May I ask if you know of any good online suppliers? Especially if they are based in the UK. Also, how does it work when your natural hair starts to grow but the systems hair does not? Do you just go back to that salon a couple of months later to get another trim?

I go to my local barber as I need. It costs me £7 every 2 or 3 months.

http://www.ukhairsystems.com/
  • 01-11-2016 10:00 AM
    winkywoo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by grincher View Post
    I go to my local barber as I need. It costs me £7 every 2 or 3 months.

http://www.ukhairsystems.com/

Thank you for your help! :)

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Sun Exposure after Hair Transplant
02-26-2009 02:36 PM
Last Post By SarahCarter
Yesterday 04:24 PM
Scar Grafting with Dr Cole
06-21-2012 02:00 PM