I need your advise.

Printable View

• 05-04-2012 03:18 PM
    MikeyB
    I need your advise.
    I'm 21 years old, my friend told me my hairline was receding. I can see and feel the different in my hair. I should probably note that my dad is bald. I still have hair on the top of my head(for now). I want to know if It would be best to take action now. The only thing, I don't know what's best to use or if there is even a way to preventing it or slowing down the process.
  • 05-04-2012 07:44 PM
    jman91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
    I'm 21 years old, my friend told me my hairline was receding. I can see and feel the different in my hair. I should probably note that my dad is bald. I still have hair on the top of my head(for now). I want to know if It would be best to take action now. The only thing, I don't know what's best to use or if there is even a way to preventing it or slowing down the process.

no one here could really give you an opinion until you upload some photos of your hairline.
  • 05-04-2012 10:08 PM
    MikeyB
  • 05-04-2012 10:21 PM
    jman91
    you look like you are suffering male pattern baldness.

it can progress very fast or very slowly, it depends on the person.

you are a Norwood 2 on the Norwood scale (look it up)

there is a chance that your hairline is just maturing but i doubt it as its a little bit too pronounced.

the good part is that if you treat it now you are very likely to be able to keep whats there right now using finasteride.

there are a few other FDA approved medications but fin is the most effective and is effective for 9/10 people.
  • 05-04-2012 10:46 PM
    Tracy C
    Hi MikeyB,

Photos of your hair line are not a good way to try to determine of you are balding or not. The reason is because it is completely natural and normal for males to lose their temple hair and develop an adult male hair line. This is especially true for caucasion males. The best areas of your scalp to check for possible MPB are your vertex and mid-anterior. To do that, take good quality photos of your scalp with your hair parted in the middle, both wet and dry. It will show much more prominently when your hair is wet than when it is dry. If you see obvious thinning in your vertex or mid-anterior, then yes you are balding. If that bothers you, you should do something about it. Also, if your temples recess to Norwood 3, that is an indicator that you are balding as well.

Your hair line looks like a natural and normal adult male hair line (Norwood 2). It may stay that way for many many years or it may progress to Norwood 3. If you currently do not have thinning in your vertex and mid-anterior, you do not yet have anything to worry about. However it would be a good idea to start taking good quality photos of your scalp and hair line every six months and compare them as you go. This way if you find that you are thinning, you will catch it early and be in a better shape to slow it down, stop it and possibly reverse much of it.

Take care,

Tracy
  • 06-05-2012 10:22 AM
    MikeyB
    I know it's only been a month, but I do believe i can see my hair continuing to thin and recede. I want to slow/stop this process down. Can you tell me what to do please. I have no idea where to begin.
  • 06-05-2012 02:26 PM
    BaldinLikeBaldwin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
    I know it's only been a month, but I do believe i can see my hair continuing to thin and recede. I want to slow/stop this process down. Can you tell me what to do please. I have no idea where to begin.

You need to consult with a doctor/physician, ideally a dermatologist who knows about MPB but any doctor would do. You will need to decide on whether you want to go on Finasteride or not, it's the only effective treatment for slowing down MPB.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM