What does it mean?

Printable View

• 03-30-2012 07:07 AM
    hairysituation
    What does it mean?
    I just checked out Histogen's website and I read this: "HSC's components have recently been shown to be critical for new hair follicle formation"

Is my English really bad or is this some negative news?
  • 03-30-2012 09:40 AM
    gmonasco
    In this sense, "critical" means "necessary," so it's supposed to be a positive statement. As in, "We've discovered stuff that has to be present for new hair follicles to form."
  • 03-30-2012 11:23 AM
    ^ NEW hair follicles?
    That is not how Histogen works. They won't be able to create BRAND NEW FOLLICLES, only to revive EXISTING ones with some kind of growth factors. Am I wrong?
  • 03-30-2012 12:12 PM
    gmonasco
    Quote:

Dr. Craig Ziering serves as the lead investigator of clinic trials for HSC. Not only has he found no adverse effects from the product’s clinical trials, but he has also noted that trials of the products have produced more hair with thicker hair shafts as well as completely new hair follicles in the areas treated with HSC.
    http://www.zieringmedical.com/about-...bout-histogen/
  • 03-30-2012 12:28 PM
    Quote:
    how could they grow COMPLETELY new follicles without existing stem cells in place?
    Anyways, if that was true then this is bad news as you'll have thousands of new follicles in random patterns producing unevenly thin hair....:(
  • 03-30-2012 12:43 PM
    gmonasco
    It's hard to tell whether they're using "new hair follicles" synonymously with "new hairs" or not. If HSC were prompting existing, non-producing follicles to start regrowing hair, those would be "new hairs," but they wouldn't technically be "new hair follicles."
  • 03-30-2012 01:00 PM
    I hope they'll have a seperate compound for just "reviving" existing follicles as the follicles are already aligned in a perfect pattern underneath the skin and that way it would look more natural if they just revived the old follicles...
  • 03-31-2012 04:02 AM
    Pate
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    how could they grow COMPLETELY new follicles without existing stem cells in place?
    Anyways, if that was true then this is bad news as you'll have thousands of new follicles in random patterns producing unevenly thin hair....:(

But the stem cells are in place, as we know from Cotsarelis's work. What's missing is the chemical signals to get them to differentiate into the hair-producing cells. It could be that these growth factors are a necessary part of the chain, but that doesn't mean they are capable of inducing follicular neogenesis by themselves.

Also, the Ziering quote may not necessarily indicate the creation of brand-new follicles, it may just mean that hair follicles that were completely dormant and not producing any hair were reactivated. So it would appear that there was a new follicle there. The problem is that unlike Replicel, Histogen aren't actually injecting cells that they can track down later. They are just injecting growth factors so it'll be a lot more difficult to tell whether a hair that suddenly sprouts comes from a brand-new follicle or just one that was dormant.

Replicel on the other hand can tell whether it's a new follicle or a rejuvenated one, because the cells they inject into mice glow green.
  • 03-31-2012 08:40 AM
    ^ right, that was my point. Follicle stem cells NEVER disappear. Underneath the skin, we are all perfect NW0's with perfect patterns.

If these new treatment are only rejuvenating/activating existing follicles/stem cells, then great - keep making injections until your hair is as thick as you want.

The problem is if they'll ignore existing stem cells/follicles and try growing BRAND NEW FOLLICLES. This would look awful as hair will start appearing in random places among the rest of your thinning hair..... also, what about women? What's the point of cloning shitty follicles?
  • 04-01-2012 07:23 AM
    NAS
    Nice One 2020. It makes sense :D
  • 04-01-2012 05:22 PM
    gutted
    Quote:

^ right, that was my point. Follicle stem cells NEVER disappear. Underneath the skin, we are all perfect NW0's with perfect patterns.

If these new treatment are only rejuvenating/activating existing follicles/stem cells, then great - keep making injections until your hair is as thick as you want.

The problem is if they'll ignore existing stem cells/follicles and try growing BRAND NEW FOLLICLES. This would look awful as hair will start appearing in random places among the rest of your thinning hair..... also, what about women? What's the point of cloning shitty follicles?

imo, i doubt histogen is creating brand new follicles, they are witnessing revival of dormant follciles.
  • 04-06-2012 09:19 PM
    PvH
    sounds like people are reading too much into it. even if it actually creates completely new hair follicle in areas treated with HSC, i doubt many will complain about using the area treated with HSC as 'donor area' to perform additional FUE's using those 'completely new hair follicles.'
  • 04-10-2012 09:17 AM
    slickster
    When is histogen coming out?
  • 04-10-2012 09:50 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by slickster View Post
    When is histogen coming out?

it says right on their site:

http://www.histogen.com/products/hsc.htm

Quote:

The next clinical trial of HSC is currently in planning stages, and is scheduled to begin in Singapore in early 2011, with plans for pan-Asian approval in 2014. Estimated U.S. market introduction of the injectable for hair regrowth in the treatment of male pattern baldness is 2015, with potential for earlier introduction in certain identified countries.
  • 04-10-2012 10:19 AM
    slickster
    Thanks 2020 i guess if were desperate will have to go via singapore to get this done earlier:p
  • 04-10-2012 10:31 AM
    gmonasco
    Since the efficacy of HSC in treating hair loss has not yet been established, nobody really knows whether it's ever going to be brought to market, much less when.
  • 04-10-2012 11:55 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Since the efficacy of HSC in treating hair loss has not yet been established, nobody really knows whether it's ever going to be brought to market, much less when.

10000000% their treatment WILL be brought to market. Can't say how efficient it will be but it will probably work for best for women with thinning hair and men with minimal to moderate hair loss (although with multiple injection you may even be able to fix NW4+)

They're just using growth factors! It's simple science. The only problem with their treatment is that it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against MPB so you will continue to go bald....
  • 04-10-2012 12:35 PM
    gmonasco
    Quote:

10000000% their treatment WILL be brought to market.

Not among people who actually know what they're talking about.
  • 04-10-2012 12:52 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Not among people who actually know what they're talking about.

who are they? What is their argument? How could Histogen possibly fail? They already showed growth...
  • 04-10-2012 01:11 PM
    The Alchemist
    Quote:

who are they? What is their argument? How could Histogen possibly fail? They already showed growth...

How can they fail? Do you know how many drugs show efficacy and look promising in phase II and then when they get dosed into a larger population (ie. Phase III) fail? Lots of them. This is not guaranteed to make it to market by any stretch of the imagination. I certainly hope it comes out but, there is still much that needs to be proven on their end.
  • 04-10-2012 01:23 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    How can they fail? Do you know how many drugs show efficacy and look promising in phase II and then when they get dosed into a larger population (ie. Phase III) fail? Lots of them. This is not guaranteed to make it to market by any stretch of the imagination. I certainly hope it comes out but, there is still much that needs to be proven on their end.

Won't happen. You can quote me on this on June/December.

This isn't some drug that was discovered by accident. Hair follicles will respond to growth factors 100% of the time. Why wouldn't they? Histogen's treatment works. We're already past that. The question now is: how efficient can they make it work?
  • 04-10-2012 03:06 PM
    The Alchemist
    Quote:

Won't happen. You can quote me on this on June/December.

This isn't some drug that was discovered by accident. Hair follicles will respond to growth factors 100% of the time. Why wouldn't they? Histogen's treatment works. We're already past that. The question now is: how efficient can they make it work?

I hope so!!
  • 04-10-2012 03:11 PM
    gmonasco
    Quote:

This isn't some drug that was discovered by accident.

Irrelevant.

Quote:

Hair follicles will respond to growth factors 100% of the time.
    Even if that were true, it doesn't mean they necessarily respond in a way that produces a cosmetically and commercially desirable result.

Quote:

Histogen's treatment works. We're already past that.
    Repeating false statements doesn't make them any less false.
  • 04-14-2012 01:39 PM
    PvH
    well if people are absolutely sure that it'll come out to market then they should go out and and celebrate and come back to TBT when it's out and say i told you so. why bother scrutinizing over every little detail when you already know the answer.
  • 09-04-2018 09:58 AM
    suruchipurimakeovers
    Nice Information.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth