• 02-27-2011 07:51 AM
    Master King
    How confident does a man have to be to wear a wig?
    Very confident. Because in my view a bad wig is more likely to make you feel MORE self conscious than baldness ever would.

So you have to be very confident that you think your fale hair looks real.

Discuss.
  • 02-27-2011 08:16 AM
    chewytorch
    Don't they make wigs with real hair?
  • 02-27-2011 09:28 AM
    amadeus
    It think part of the confidence comes with knowing that your hairpiece actually looks good and undetectable. You can be the most confidant guy in the world but if you’re wearing an obvious hairpiece others will see you differently.
  • 02-27-2011 10:59 AM
    Master King
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    It think part of the confidence comes with knowing that your hairpiece actually looks good and undetectable. You can be the most confidant guy in the world but if you’re wearing an obvious hairpiece others will see you differently.

I wear a hair system but then again, I don't care what people think. I'm fairly confident it looks real.

@Chewy. Some wigs are made of synthetic hair.
  • 03-01-2011 03:51 AM
    barry77
    I my view I think you need to be very confident. If you're averagely confident you'll be constantly aware of the wig and you'll be looking out for reactions from others. If you're very confident you'll 'not care' what people think. But if you're that confident why wear the wig?

Doesn't matter if it's a good or a bad wig. There's no such thing as 'undetectable'. If an observer is suspicious, it's fairly easy for them to work out if it's a wig or not.
  • 03-10-2011 04:51 AM
    Master King
    Quote:

Originally Posted by barry77 View Post
    I my view I think you need to be very confident. If you're averagely confident you'll be constantly aware of the wig and you'll be looking out for reactions from others. If you're very confident you'll 'not care' what people think. But if you're that confident why wear the wig?

Doesn't matter if it's a good or a bad wig. There's no such thing as 'undetectable'. If an observer is suspicious, it's fairly easy for them to work out if it's a wig or not.

You really think that even the best systems are detectable? I beg to differ. ;)
  • 03-10-2011 09:08 AM
    gmonasco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Master King View Post
    I wear a hair system but then again, I don't care what people think. I'm fairly confident it looks real.

Is your hair system a hairpiece, or the type that is bonded to your head and worn for weeks at a time?
  • 03-10-2011 02:51 PM
    barry77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Master King View Post
    You really think that even the best systems are detectable?

Absolutely. You may achieve something close to undetectable in the mirror but in the daylight, getting on the train, standing in a pact elevator, walking down the road on a windy day, basically everything we do in a typical day puts us in the line of scrutiny where anyone with eyes will see that something is 'not right'.
  • 03-14-2011 09:06 AM
    Master King
    Quote:

Absolutely. You may achieve something close to undetectable in the mirror but in the daylight, getting on the train, standing in a pact elevator, walking down the road on a windy day, basically everything we do in a typical day puts us in the line of scrutiny where anyone with eyes will see that something is 'not right'.

I'm fully aware of all those things you've pointed out. And let me tell you I wouldn't wear a system until it was near perfect in my eyes.

I'm my own worst critic. If the hair doesn't match my own hair, I won't wear it. It has to be a good a match as I can get or else it goes in the trash can. That's why I think full caps are a disaster. Loads of guys wear them but I have never seen a convincing full man's cap yet. They all look like wigs.
  • 03-14-2011 09:08 AM
    Master King
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Is your hair system a hairpiece, or the type that is bonded to your head and worn for weeks at a time?

Ha ha. They're both the same in my view. :D
  • 03-14-2011 07:47 PM
    Weedwacker
    I believe one has to be very confident to wear a hairpiece simply because society does not 'accept' it. For women it's ok; however, for men it's not. Therefore, a man must be very confident in himself to wear one, and simply not care about the opinions of others. Most people, in my opinion, are very concerned about the opinions of others.

I wore a piece from the time I was 22 to the age of 24. Unfortunately, the piece I wore had far too much density, so it looked fake. With the modern systems, you can get one with medium to light density, and get a texture match as well. Color match is also important. I have naturally wavy hair and my pieces were made with straight hair; therefore, they were fake looking. It is much easier to wear a piece if you have naturally straight hair.

Some men look abnormal when they lose their hair, so I think hairpieces are a great option for those who can't buzz their hair short. If you can deal with the work involved, and it looks good, why not? Unfortunately, most people are brainwashed by the culture in which they live, so they will mock hairpiece wearers. These morons ought to be wholly ignored.
  • 03-14-2011 08:29 PM
    UK_
    How long is a piece of string?
  • 03-14-2011 11:53 PM
    gmonasco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    How long is a piece of string?

Longer than our interest in reading irrelevant comments.
  • 03-15-2011 03:43 AM
    barry77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedwacker View Post
    Some men look abnormal when they lose their hair

That's a claim that needs explanation.
    Quote:

... so I think hairpieces are a great option for those who can't buzz their hair short. If you can deal with the work involved, and it looks good, why not?

Because they all look fake? The view you take is unusual as you yourself wore a hairpiece for two years and decided it looked fake and (I presume) haven't worn one since. It's my strong conviction that modern systems are still easily detectable in the real world despite looking great in the gallery section of hairpiece websites.
  • 03-15-2011 07:09 AM
    Weedwacker
    Quote:

That's a claim that needs explanation.

An explanation as to why some guys look abnormal if they are bald? I shouldn't have to answer that, however, if I must. Baldness is a biological error. We are supposed to have hair on our heads to frame our face, as well as protect our heads from the elements. There is no biological purpose to Male Pattern Baldness, other than to increase the risk of skin cancer and likelyhood of developing pneumonia in cold weather - which is another topic. Take a look at people who are on chemo and tell me how normal they look. Although different from chemo, MPB makes some men look strange because they have no facial frame; hence, they become unrecognizable or look bizarre. It's abnormal looking to have half of your hair missing; it looks as though you walked underneath a ceiling fan too closely. Fortunately, some men, such as Andre Agassi, are able to look pretty good bald. Tell me, if you think baldness is so normal looking, then why are you on this forum?

Because they all look fake? The view you take is unusual as you yourself wore a hairpiece for two years and decided it looked fake and (I presume) haven't worn one since. It's my strong conviction that modern systems are still easily detectable in the real world despite looking great in the gallery section of hairpiece websites.

My view may appear unusual; however, if you read my post carefully you would have noticed that I was critical of my hairpieces because of density and texture - which are things that are not a problem with new hair systems. Moreover, I wore a piece back in the late 1990's when I was in my early 20's. I am 34 now so I no longer need a piece; I look ok with my hair buzzed to a #1. When I was 21, and a Norwood 6, I looked like a freak bald. I had the face of an 18 year old, and the hairline of an 80 year old; not a good look, especially when you want a job that deals with the public.

Many systems may be detectable; however, not all. During Titanic, Billy Zane (who is actually bald) wore a hairpiece as he starred alongside Leonardo Dicaprio; he played Kate Winslet's domineering husband. You can watch Titanic on a 50 inch plasma T.V. and I doubt you will be able to detect his piece.

Some men find their looks destroyed by Male Pattern Baldness. Wearing a hairpiece is not a great option; however, when you are unrecognizable, or your looks have gone from a 7 to a 2, or you look like a Star Trek character with a shaved or buzzed head then it's a viable alternative. Perhaps, hairloss will be cured in the not too distant future. In the meantime, those whose heads are shaped like a cactus, or whose appearance has been wrecked, or who are not a transplant candidate may benefit from a system.
  • 03-15-2011 09:57 AM
    barry77
    Quote:

… however, if you read my post carefully ...

I did read your post carefully.
    Quote:

… you would have noticed that I was critical of my hairpieces because of density and texture - which are things that are not a problem with new hair systems.

I would say that is false. They are still a problem with new hair systems despite the claims.

Quote:

Many systems may be detectable; however, not all. During Titanic, Billy Zane (who is actually bald) wore a hairpiece as he starred alongside Leonardo Dicaprio; he played Kate Winslet's domineering husband. You can watch Titanic on a 50 inch plasma T.V. and I doubt you will be able to detect his piece.

That is a very odd example. You're talking about a muilti-million dollar Hollywood film. Make up artists and teams of technicians are on hand to ensure every frame they shoot is perfect. Also, it was made in 1997 which presumably is the era of wig technology you are critical of. I'm sure in real life, standing behind Billy Zane in the sunshine whilst queuing for the ATM machine (for example), It would be a different story.
    Quote:

Some men find their looks destroyed by Male Pattern Baldness. Wearing a hairpiece is not a great option; however, when you are unrecognizable, or your looks have gone from a 7 to a 2, or you look like a Star Trek character with a shaved or buzzed head then it's a viable alternative. Perhaps, hairloss will be cured in the not too distant future. In the meantime, those whose heads are shaped like a cactus, or whose appearance has been wrecked, or who are not a transplant candidate may benefit from a system.

Fair enough. Though I personally think that in the long run learning to accept a cactus shaped head is better than becoming paranoid and delusional as I'm sure has been the case for many hairpiece wearers (myself included).
  • 03-15-2011 10:34 AM
    UK_
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Longer than our interest in reading irrelevant comments.

Bahahahahaha! Oh pathy!
  • 03-15-2011 10:50 PM
    Weedwacker
    My previous post was interjected incorrectly for some reason.

One reason hairpieces often look bad is because of the wearer. When I wore my piece and went into my hair clinic to get it serviced, I would see guys with pieces that looked so bad it was rediculous. Those who are socially unaware and artistically inept will not be able to pull it off. I knew a guy from my studio whose piece looked as good in real life as Zane's in Titanic. His girlfriend was awesome and didn't mind. He had dark hair and the color match was perfect. Therefore, people who think that all pieces look bad are mistaken. One must invest a chunk of money into the maintenance process.

I did wear a piece during the era of Titanic; however, Zane has straight, dark hair which makes it a lot easier. Back then, I was unaware of texture and hair density because I was not made aware of those options.

Barry77, you seem very jaded with regard to your experience with hairpieces, almost to the point of sounding bitter. You may have had a bad experience with them (as did I ); however, what is a kid who is 14 and who has alopecia supposed to do? Even guys who are 18 and balding may not be able to function within society without being incessantly mocked. A system may be the best option for them, especially if they look disfigured.
  • 05-11-2011 12:44 PM
    DepressedByHairLoss
    Hey Weedwhacker, I have 3 questions about hairpieces:

1. Does wearing a hairpiece destroy the hair that should be growing underneath the glue that holds the piece onto your head?

2. If you're with a woman and getting intimate, is it easy for her to detect?

3. How easy is it for a hairpiece to get loose and slip when you're sweating while working out?
  • 05-14-2011 02:50 AM
    Nosilichar
    very interesting article .thx for post.
  • 05-14-2011 09:46 AM
    barry77
    As a piece wearer from the ages of 22 to 31 I can try and answer this one:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post

Even if it were hard to detect, how much could you relax if she was attempting to run her fingers through your hair?

There's always the chance she could catch the edge of the lace with her nails which you would react to. If she's particularly passionate she could damage it or even pull it off.

In order to really make having sex a reality is to tell her that you don't like your hair touched which she may think is a little weird.

Alternatively you could remove the wig but I suppose then sex would be out of the question.
  • 05-20-2011 07:55 PM
    DepressedByHairLoss
    Thanks for the response Barry, just one more thing: does a hair piece tend to come loose when you sweat?
  • 05-21-2011 02:36 PM
    Weedwacker
    Quote:

Hey Weedwhacker, I have 3 questions about hairpieces:

1. Does wearing a hairpiece destroy the hair that should be growing underneath the glue that holds the piece onto your head?

3. How easy is it for a hairpiece to get loose and slip when you're sweating while working out?

I did not suffer any permanent damage to the hair that grew under the hairpiece glue. I went to a 'hair studio', and they buzzed the hair off and then glued the unit to my head. I don't know if the glue can damage the hair, though.

Your second question is where this gets complicated. If the piece is securely attached, it would be possible for her to run her hands through it and not notice. I, however, would not have dated unless the woman knew. Personally, I became paranoid about people noticing and didn't want to bother with it anymore. The fine lace systems look better than the full pieces I wore. The technology is better now.

It depends on the method of attachment. If it is glued on every couple weeks, the chances of it falling off are almost nothing. That was my experience, anyway. If it is taped on, the chances of it falling off are greater. One of the reasons I quit boxing was because I was wearing a headpiece while sparring at the gym (getting punched in the head loosened the wig). Many clinics will tell you to come in and get it glued on once per month; this is nonsense because the glue gets loose after sweating and natural moisture. I would say every 2-3 weeks.
  • 05-22-2011 04:46 AM
    barry77
    Quote:

Thanks for the response Barry, just one more thing: does a hair piece tend to come loose when you sweat?

In my experience using tape I'd say 'no' so long as the tape was applied when your scalp was completely dry. There's some debate over this but I found the only way to remove a tape attached lace wig is to use isopropyl alcohol or solvents like desolveit.

Glued (bonded) pieces are more likely to come loose though sweat and hair growth.
  • 05-22-2011 10:14 AM
    dgman21
    depressed,
    Thats exactly why I wouldn't consider a hair piece cause of the answer to your 3 q's. It can destroy some native hairs, women lovge to play with hair(esp when intimate,and the wind and rain)
  • 09-28-2012 03:19 PM
    ScottNM
    Why doesnt a woman care about you realizing her nails are fake, eyelashes, hair color, lip color etc? It seems they have all the confidence in the world even knowing you realize those things are not really her? I am just saying why can you not have confidence even knowing that some will know? Seems like a double standard. Joke about it even. If someone mocks me and tells me "why are u wearing a wig" I will say "so I wont look as ugly as you"
  • 02-04-2013 06:47 AM
    baldy1990
    i dont if it's confidence or insecurity.Nowdays wig is not a choice and nobody likes fake hair.
  • 02-04-2013 07:14 AM
    BigThinker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by baldy1990 View Post
    i dont if it's confidence or insecurity.Nowdays wig is not a choice and nobody likes fake hair.

Even though you're bumping super old threads, I'll concur. Give me a shiny NW7 before a rug or a wispy comb-over any day.
  • 02-04-2013 07:16 AM
    BigThinker
    Quote:

As a piece wearer from the ages of 22 to 31 I can try and answer this one:

Even if it were hard to detect, how much could you relax if she was attempting to run her fingers through your hair?

There's always the chance she could catch the edge of the lace with her nails which you would react to. If she's particularly passionate she could damage it or even pull it off.

In order to really make having sex a reality is to tell her that you don't like your hair touched which she may think is a little weird.

Alternatively you could remove the wig but I suppose then sex would be out of the question.

Yeah, well this just re-affirmed everything I thought of wearing toupees. I literally cringed reading this scenario.
  • 02-04-2013 07:24 AM
    baldy1990
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Even though you're bumping super old threads, I'll concur. Give me a shiny NW7 before a rug or a wispy comb-over any day.

what's wrong with bumping old threads
  • 02-04-2013 08:04 PM
    UK_
    Jesus Christ someone please cure hair loss.
  • 02-07-2013 06:08 AM
    mpb47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottNM View Post
    Why doesnt a woman care about you realizing her nails are fake, eyelashes, hair color, lip color etc? It seems they have all the confidence in the world even knowing you realize those things are not really her? I am just saying why can you not have confidence even knowing that some will know? Seems like a double standard. Joke about it even. If someone mocks me and tells me "why are u wearing a wig" I will say "so I wont look as ugly as you"

I am not a person that would be comfortable with a wig. But I believe to each his own.

And I really-really-really dislike double standards but it can be true in this case unfortunately.

I am on a dating site and this has come up. To be fair some of the women admitted it was a double standard but still men should not wear wigs.

And I have a friend who years ago told me I should not try to fight it or try to hide it as that was a turnoff. Yet she thought it was ok for her to get lipo surgery...even though she wasn't even fat.
  • 02-07-2013 06:45 AM
    BigThinker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    I am not a person that would be comfortable with a wig. But I believe to each his own.

And I really-really-really dislike double standards but it can be true in this case unfortunately.

I am on a dating site and this has come up. To be fair some of the women admitted it was a double standard but still men should not wear wigs.

And I have a friend who years ago told me I should not try to fight it or try to hide it as that was a turnoff. Yet she thought it was ok for her to get lipo surgery...even though she wasn't even fat.

Oh man, the gender double standards that exist in our culture absolutely blows my mind. Women and men should of course be equal if every facet politically. But, socially, where there are no real rules, it just never will be equal -- some to men's benefit, some to women's benefit. It's obviously especially penetrating when the social injustice affects you and not most other men (ie wearing wigs).

I guess we have to live with it and decide which way we want to play the game - conform to the social standards or antagonize today's social standards. The former is probably the easier route and will be conducive to more relationships as we do what is expected, the latter is the difficult route that decreases the pool of women who would be interested in you substantially but maybe the relationships are more rewarding because you are innately more compatible with the hard-to-find woman. There isn't a right answer here, but that's something I've speculated my whole life.
  • 02-07-2013 07:21 AM
    youngin
    Wearing a hair piece is the opposite of being confident. Shaving your head and being yourself is confidence. Women care less about hair than you think. If you're good looking, then you're good looking. If you're not then you're not. All kinds of good looking bald men make women hot and bothered :P
  • 02-07-2013 08:40 AM
    baldy1990
    Quote:

Originally Posted by youngin View Post
    Wearing a hair piece is the opposite of being confident. Shaving your head and being yourself is confidence. Women care less about hair than you think. If you're good looking, then you're good looking. If you're not then you're not. All kinds of good looking bald men make women hot and bothered :P

hair can make you good looking or bad looking,are you in denial
  • 02-07-2013 08:45 AM
    youngin
    You all are in denial, not me. I am a NW6 with a hot wife. Cause instead of being depressed and complaining about my poor hair loss, I was out living mylife, being myself and having fun. This forum is full of NEGATIVITY.
  • 02-07-2013 09:33 AM
    clandestine
    Quote:

You all are in denial, not me. I am a NW6 with a hot wife. Cause instead of being depressed and complaining about my poor hair loss, I was out living mylife, being myself and having fun. This forum is full of NEGATIVITY.

And your name is 'youngin' because..?
  • 02-07-2013 09:36 AM
    youngin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    And your name is 'youngin' because..?

Because I was young (17) when I started balding and started an account on HLH to get help back then, the name carried over to other forums. I was a NW5/6 by the time i was 24. That's why. Though I don't see how my name is relevant.
  • 02-07-2013 10:28 AM
    baldy1990
    Quote:

Because I was young (17) when I started balding and started an account on HLH to get help back then, the name carried over to other forums. I was a NW5/6 by the time i was 24. That's why. Though I don't see how my name is relevant.

a bald man can get a hot wife,if he has muscles or if he is heavy or have money or he has great qualites,this doesnt change that being bald can change you entirely,yes ENTIRELY,it change your appearance completely!Some living in denial for accepting the truth that they are getting uglier,they know they get uglier but they cant accept it that's a denial,denial of accepting.So yes we are in denial of accepting the truth but you are in a much higher level of denial ,the denial of the truth itself,that balding makes you ugly,yes ugly,hair make a great impact of your beauty but you are denying it.Well done cause it makes your life easier better bald and happy than bald and sad nothing new.So dont try to tell us that it isnt the balding that make people ugly,you can tell it to yourself any day to make you feel better but i'm sure you would be a lot hotter if you had your hair and you could win girls hearts easier.
  • 02-07-2013 10:40 AM
    youngin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by baldy1990 View Post
    a bald man can get a hot wife,if he has muscles or if he is heavy or have money or he has great qualites,this doesnt change that being bald can change you entirely,yes ENTIRELY,it change your appearance completely!Some living in denial for accepting the truth that they are getting uglier,they know they get uglier but they cant accept it that's a denial,denial of accepting.So yes we are in denial of accepting the truth but you are in a much higher level of denial ,the denial of the truth itself,that balding makes you ugly,yes ugly,hair make a great impact of your beauty but you are denying it.Well done cause it makes your life easier better bald and happy than bald and sad nothing new.So dont try to tell us that it isnt the balding that make people ugly,you can tell it to yourself any day to make you feel better but i'm sure you would be a lot hotter if you had your hair and you could win girls hearts easier.

Wow I feel sorry for you. Beauty is truely in the eye of the beholder. Hate to break it to you but some women find bald men extremely sexy. And that fact destroys what you just said.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth