• 07-27-2016 11:16 AM
    rimbaud
    Smoking and Hair Transplant
    Hi,

So I just had a hair transplant five days ago. I'm an on and off smoker and I understand the risks of smoking and hair transplantation due to the effects of vasoconstriction. Despite this knowledge, I couldn't resist having a cigarette a couple days after the hair transplant. It was just one. The next day I had another. Stupidly, I had a few cigarettes with a few beers yesterday to celebrate. I don't need to be told that cigarettes are bad for me and I fully understand that smoking can compromise grafts. I have already vowed off smoking completely but I'm really really freaked out and worried that my transplanted hairs are in jeopardy. Does anyone have a solid opinion as to whether or not the amount I smoked is dangerous? Again, it was six since the transplant. I've followed all the directions instructed by my doctor diligently otherwise.

What do you guys think? Opinions from professionals would also be really really appreciated too?

Thanks guys.
  • 07-27-2016 03:27 PM
    BaldingEagle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rimbaud View Post
    Hi,

So I just had a hair transplant five days ago. I'm an on and off smoker and I understand the risks of smoking and hair transplantation due to the effects of vasoconstriction. Despite this knowledge, I couldn't resist having a cigarette a couple days after the hair transplant. It was just one. The next day I had another. Stupidly, I had a few cigarettes with a few beers yesterday to celebrate. I don't need to be told that cigarettes are bad for me and I fully understand that smoking can compromise grafts. I have already vowed off smoking completely but I'm really really freaked out and worried that my transplanted hairs are in jeopardy. Does anyone have a solid opinion as to whether or not the amount I smoked is dangerous? Again, it was six since the transplant. I've followed all the directions instructed by my doctor diligently otherwise.

What do you guys think? Opinions from professionals would also be really really appreciated too?

Thanks guys.

You're fine man, just try to limit smoking as much as possible. Get some nicotine gum.
  • 07-28-2016 02:26 AM
    rimbaud
    Thanks for the reply eagle. Are you sure nicotine gum is a viable alternative though? The route of deliverance is different, yes, but the nicotine is still in the blood stream leading to vasoconstriction in minor blood vessels within the scalp.
  • 02-03-2021 10:28 AM
    casperkoepp
    Is there any connection between hair transplant and smoking? I don’t think that these two are connected. Have you any advice on this? In fact, you must do vaping instead of manual smoking. I am a fan of vape pods and MXJO 18650 vape batteries. You must go for it and this battery is one of the best batteries for vape mods or other devices like a flashlight with the battery size 18650.
  • 02-05-2021 10:55 AM
    Hair Doc
    Smoking causes vasoconstriction, the generation of reactive oxygen species and free radicals, and atherosclerosis and this will negatively impact hair transplants. Just don't smoke again and find a healthy way to deal with your stress/anxiety.
  • 04-03-2021 02:40 AM
    gustavowoltmann1996
    I was also used to smoking but then I started to do Yoga and now I am totally free from this addiction. Yoga Teacher Gustavo Woltmann.
  • 04-12-2021 08:13 AM
    Karen81
    I would stop for 1 month past surgery at least.
  • 11-22-2021 11:22 PM
    Maze2021
    I did not quit smoking or vaping. Smoked the morning of the procedure and started vaping 2 days after heavily for the entire year and got excellent results
  • 08-09-2022 06:12 PM
    ColumbusMiller
    Tobacco use promotes vasoconstriction, the production of reactive oxygen species and free radicals, and atherosclerosis, all of which are detrimental to hair transplants. Simply stop smoking and find a healthy approach to cope with your stress/anxiety. fnaf security breach
  • 08-10-2022 05:15 AM
    JFR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by casperkoepp View Post
    Is there any connection between hair transplant and smoking? I don’t think that these two are connected. Have you any advice on this? In fact, you must do vaping instead of manual smoking. I am a fan of vape pods and MXJO 18650 vape batteries. You must go for it and this battery is one of the best batteries for vape mods or other devices like a flashlight with the battery size 18650.

It causes vasoconstriction and nicotine is a stimulant so effects your pulse.

During my consult with Dr Ball he suggested Ideally he’d prefer me to stop a month before and avoid it for several months after. As with all surgery promoting blood flow to the area is important. For the aforementioned reason smoking is not advisable pre surgery and during recovery.

I took the opportunity to get in shape over the pandemic. But the biggest change in my pulse was quitting smoking. Within a month my resting pulse dropped from 70 bpm to 60 bpm. (This is using a smartwatch which measures my pulse throughout the day and trends over time).

Even vaping had a noticeable effect on my pulse. When I vape it goes up to 65 bpm.

Since for me it’s largely habitual I now use a zero vape when the urge hits me. And a nic vape for when I drink, as that’s when I’m most likely to give in and start again. Still not ideal, but approaching 9 months and I really don’t have the urge anymore even when drunk.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM