• 04-21-2012 09:07 AM
    Damax
    Serverely balding at age 20
    Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to share my story.

I'm 20 years old now, and I guess, I can be categorised as a NW 4-5.

I started to notice my balding relatively late, since it never occured to me that you could go bald at such a young age.
    Heck, I didn't even notice that people were balding in my daily life.
    One day I had bought a camera, I guess it was in early 2010 (I was 18).
    I noticed that my crown was thinning a little bit, and I couldn't believe it at first sight, honestly. I was in denial for quite some time.
    Though, at this time I still had a 'almost' full head of hair, so I wasn't resorted to a "buzz cut" or a "close shave" to hide any balding.

I was very confident in how I looked at this time, and my style.
    But that changed rapidly! The following months after noticing the slight thinning on my crown, my temples receded ALOT.
    When I look a pictures from when I was 17years old, I had signs of a receding hair-line. I just didn't notice it.

But well, some friends started to tell me "Wow, you have really high temples!!".. And then it was a reality for me - I was balding.
    I had tried to talk with some doctors about it, because it seemed be very unusual to go bald at such an young age at such a fast pace. I considered propecia, but it was hard to get a receipt for it, and there was some side-effects linked to it. Plus it was high-maintance. So I just opt for the buzz-cut for 2 months.

Then it went extreme... I developed a BALD crown, it wasn't just thin.. it literally looked bald.. the area round it started to thin serverely, and my hairline continued to recede.

So I needed to 'hide' my hairloss, and then I embraced it by SHAVING it all off. I rather have a shaved head, than go around with a balding head. I'm still VERY self-concious about it to this day. If I'm not fully shaved, I wont feel comfortable with walking around like that. So I wear some cool hats or caps, if I'm too lazy to shave it. It's also itchy sometimes..

It changed how I looked, my whole appearance. So I started to hit the gym a lot more, and paid a lot more attention to my fashion/style. I was very conscious of how I looked, and tried to downplay my weaknesses, and upplay my strenghts. So it hasn't hurt me so much I guess, I occasionally get told I'm handsome. Even though some may argue, that I was more universally appealing to the opposite sex with a full head of hair - which is probably true.

Since I started to shave my hair early on, almost no people in my social circle knows that I'm balding. They think I do it because I think it looks it, and if I in rare times chose to tell it they are very surprised. Balding is something people associate with aging, and older people.
  • 04-21-2012 09:15 AM
    yeahyeahyeah
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damax View Post
    Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to share my story.

I'm 20 years old now, and I guess, I can be categorised as a NW 4-5.

I started to notice my balding relatively late, since it never occured to me that you could go bald at such a young age.
    Heck, I didn't even notice that people were balding in my daily life.
    One day I had bought a camera, I guess it was in early 2010 (I was 18).
    I noticed that my crown was thinning a little bit, and I couldn't believe it at first sight, honestly. I was in denial for quite some time.
    Though, at this time I still had a 'almost' full head of hair, so I wasn't resorted to a "buzz cut" or a "close shave" to hide any balding.

I was very confident in how I looked at this time, and my style.
    But that changed rapidly! The following months after noticing the slight thinning on my crown, my temples receded ALOT.
    When I look a pictures from when I was 17years old, I had signs of a receding hair-line. I just didn't notice it.

But well, some friends started to tell me "Wow, you have really high temples!!".. And then it was a reality for me - I was balding.
    I had tried to talk with some doctors about it, because it seemed be very unusual to go bald at such an young age at such a fast pace. I considered propecia, but it was hard to get a receipt for it, and there was some side-effects linked to it. Plus it was high-maintance. So I just opt for the buzz-cut for 2 months.

Then it went extreme... I developed a BALD crown, it wasn't just thin.. it literally looked bald.. the area round it started to thin serverely, and my hairline continued to recede.

So I needed to 'hide' my hairloss, and then I embraced it by SHAVING it all off. I rather have a shaved head, than go around with a balding head. I'm still VERY self-concious about it to this day. If I'm not fully shaved, I wont feel comfortable with walking around like that. So I wear some cool hats or caps, if I'm too lazy to shave it. It's also itchy sometimes..

It changed how I looked, my whole appearance. So I started to hit the gym a lot more, and paid a lot more attention to my fashion/style. I was very conscious of how I looked, and tried to downplay my weaknesses, and upplay my strenghts. So it hasn't hurt me so much I guess, I occasionally get told I'm handsome. Even though some may argue, that I was more universally appealing to the opposite sex with a full head of hair - which is probably true.

Since I started to shave my hair early on, almost no people in my social circle knows that I'm balding. They think I do it because I think it looks it, and if I in rare times chose to tell it they are very surprised. Balding is something people associate with aging, and older people.

Have you got pics of your receeding hairline , so we can see?
  • 04-21-2012 09:24 AM
    Damax
    Well, not on this laptop
    I rarely ever let my hair grow out for obvious reasons.
    If I let it grow out for a few days, you will be able to get a impression of how severe the balding is.

This is a picture from when I was 16 years old. I had a full head of hair, but I don't even think a hair-transplant can get me back to there.
    Even if I could afford it. So I've accepted my baldness I guess, and embraced in that's how I present myself.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg687...pg&res=landing

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212