Being Happy

Printable View

• 04-26-2012 08:42 PM
    jman91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    I think the only way to be happier is to do drugs or drink alcohol. For real. If you can't get your hair back, the only way to stimulate the feeling of pleasure is via sex with supermodels (you ain't getting that because you are bald, but maybe you can pay them) or good drugs like cocaine.

dude, we get it! all bald peoples lives suck, they need to take drugs to get happy blah blah... maybe you should take some time out, you've been working hard over the last week or so and i think you could do with a rest? i mean i'm willing to laugh at an intelligent and cunning troll, but this is just boring. seriously though, if it makes you feel better i'l pretend to be mad and and call you mental anyway if it makes you all fuzzy inside?
  • 04-26-2012 09:14 PM
    Davey Jones
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    Running will work wonders for you. I actually get kinda of high afterwords..

I've noticed this on the rare occassions I've made myself run longer than 10 or 15 minutes. Very powerful, but it seems like you can't just run to the end of the street for it. How far do you typically run? It would be good to have a goal to shoot for for those of us looking to get high on something other than whatever Scorpion is smoking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    The sunshine does it for me in such a big way. Especially if I can be out on my bicycle with my girlfriends or busking in front of a coffee shop. Exercise also helps my mood in a huge way.

Sometimes I like to just sit down with a big bed-wetter cup of Starbuck's cafe mocha and write down all the things that make me feel happy. When I do that, one thing will remind me of another - and another - and another...

Sounds like you try to hit all the bases. If you don't mind me asking, what's a list of things that make you happy look like? Making an actual list seems like a cool idea, but the folks here more resistant to being happy could use help starting. Care if we cheat off you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Scorpion is a troll. Do not feed the trolls.

Point taken. But while you're here anyway, do you have any special tactics you like to employ to help your mood? Besides troll fightin', that is.

Like, when the day is getting sh*tty, what do you do to get out of that situation? Or to avoid it in the first place.
  • 04-26-2012 11:02 PM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what's a list of things that make you happy look like?

Care if we cheat off you?

Sure. I'll write one right now.

The way my Ovation guitar vibrates my tummy.

The cool and groovey sounds I can make with my electric guitar.

Busking in the park.

Going to recitals to see young musician's first public performances.

Going to art exibits of child artists.

Watching sidewalk art being drawn.

Coloring in coloring books.

Riding my mountain bike through the woods.

Hiking through the woods.

Trying to roller skate (or roller blade - I'm not very good at either LOL)

Talking with my girlfriends for hours at a time on the phone.

Doing my exercises in the park out in the open air and sunshine (FitDeck totally rules!).

Shopping for a new bag.

Picking out sunglasses.

Getting my nails done.

Having dinner with my parents.

Spending time with my sister and nieces.

I could keep going but I want to go to sleep now. :)
  • 04-26-2012 11:50 PM
    DepressedByHairLoss
    Davey Jones, I appreciate your posts dude, since you really do get a lot of negativity on these forums. Hell, I used to go on the Replicel and Histogen sections all the time, but a lot of people on those sections are just so unnecessarily negative (and seem to enjoy being so), that I just stopped looking at those sections despite the high hopes that I have for Replicel and Histogen to ultimately cure hair loss.
    I don't know though, it's tough to be happy with hair loss when you know that your life would be so much better if you had a full head of hair, and especially when so many around you have full heads of hair. As I've said previously, us hair loss sufferers are not asking for anything outlandish or fantasy-related. We're not asking to be rock stars, we're not asking to be models, we're not asking to be multi-millionaires. All we're asking for is something that we were born with, that we used to have, and is now being ripped away from us. The problem with me is that a lot of the activities that I used to enjoy were interrelated with having a full head of hair. I used to love to go to rock concerts (and even to see and play in local bar bands) and rock out and get crazy to the crazy rock/metal that I was hearing. It gave me such pride to know that I looked like the bands that I was seeing/hearing and it totally affected my love of the music. And having a great image is an integral part of being in these bands. I was brought up on all of those 80s metal bands and virtually every one of those bands were entirely composed of members with full heads of hair. Hell, people used to say I looked like Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. (to those who are familiar with him and his band) and I shudder to think who people think I would look like with my head of hair now. I used to look at album covers of so many of these bands and take pride in the fact that I used to look like those guys. Can't do that anymore. And in the rock n roll scene that I love to hang out in, most of the guys that play in these bands have full heads of hair so oftentimes if I'm not drunk or high, I feel really out of place in these clubs that I used to love go to back when I had a great head of hair.
    Tracy, your list is pretty cool except a lot of the things on that list unfortunately do make me sad if I experience them. When I pick up my guitar now and look at various songbooks, I look at musicians pictured in these songbooks with their full heads of hair and I think to myself: this used to be me, but is no longer me anymore. Image is huge in rock n roll, as you probably already know. So there's an example of something that used to give me joy but now unfortunately gives me sorrow. The same thing with going out and basking in the sunshine. I used to love to get out of bed, get out, and see what the day has in store for me. But now everytime I go out into the sunshine, I am reminded of the life that I used to have (and love) and my looks were integral to the life that I lead. And now I feel like I will never be able to live that life again because I will never look the way that I want to again. Sorry everyone, I hate to be so damn negative.
    With regards doing things that make me feel better, I've really been trying to get into the gym more consistently because weight lifting does make me feel better. I've always been a big guy; that's something I took pride in and worked hard to achieve. So I do like getting pumped up powerlifting and I've really tried to be consistent with that. I'm also very into American football and when football was in season, it gave me a great excuse to get out of the house and watch the games of my favorite team. Unlike the club scene, it's cool to wear a hat (of your favorite team) in the sports bars so I kinda thrived in that environment. I've consistently watched the games of my favorite team every year since like the mid 90's but 2010 was the first year that I barely watched any games because that was the year that I first noticed drastic hair loss. Missing the games of a team that I used to live and die for really made me feel terrible.
    I don't know, I really try to stay positive but I keep coming back to the same answer: that my life would be so much better if I had a full head of hair. And it really gets me very upset that for a problem that affects so many people to such a drastic degree, we have very few and minimal options to treat it.
  • 04-27-2012 09:12 AM
    mpb47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    I've noticed this on the rare occassions I've made myself run longer than 10 or 15 minutes. Very powerful, but it seems like you can't just run to the end of the street for it. How far do you typically run? It would be good to have a goal to shoot for for those of us looking to get high on something other than whatever Scorpion is smoking.

Well started running in early march and have worked my way up to 2 miles - about every other day. I used to run before I got sick to keep the weight off so doing it again for same reason, plus it is fun. If running is not for you , you can get the same feeling riding a bike though you need to go 5 miles or more to get that good feeling. If you are concerned with your overall appearance (not just hair) then it would be a good idea to do some kind of exercise as you get older. I am going running at 5 pm tonight with a friend and coworker. She is an exercise freak and you would never know she is 60 years old just by looking at her.
  • 04-27-2012 11:01 AM
    Tracy C
    DBHL,

The thing is to not write down the things that make you sad. You are supposed to write down the things that make you happy. If something you write down reminds you of something that makes you sad, think of something else that makes you happy and write that down.

Take care,

Tracy
  • 04-27-2012 11:32 AM
    Davey Jones
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    It gave me such pride to know that I looked like the bands that I was seeing/hearing and it totally affected my love of the music. And having a great image is an integral part of being in these bands.

I guess you're not a SOAD guy?

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...kdbno1_500.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    Well started running in early march and have worked my way up to 2 miles - about every other day.

Ah, that's not too bad. So it's not like you have to run a marathon or anything, people! That is a distance anyone can do if you just work into it.
  • 04-28-2012 12:21 PM
    clandestine
    Meditate.

10char
  • 04-29-2012 06:00 PM
    DepressedByHairLoss
    Hey Davey Jones. I'm not really into System of a Down; I like more of the traditional 80s rock like Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Cinderella, Guns N Roses, etc. All of those guys have full heads of long hair, or at least they did when they were my age. I'm familiar with SOAD's singer Serj Tankian though, but I believe he shaved his head due to his own choice, rather than him losing his hair and that's a huge difference.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM