Can I still go bald even on Finasteride?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capitan
    • Oct 2013

Can I still go bald even on Finasteride?

Hey,

Just 17 and been receding since I was 16.

Right now I'm a Norwood 2 with full coverage but a thinning hairline.

For well over a month I have been taking

-1mg Finasteride daily
    -Revita shampoo every 3 days

I just want to maintain for as long as possible.

But do you think I can still go bald even on this treatment?

Also, did you still continue to bald even on Finasteride?

Any advice much appreciated. I've done as much research as I can but I just discovered this site and wanted some new opinions.

Thanks!!
  • 25 going on 65
    • Sep 2010

Yes it is possible. I stayed above baseline on fin but some people lose ground on it
    If you are not at/above baseline after 1 year I would switch to dut. Also I would start on 2% keto shampoo asap.

Minoxidil works but takes srs commitment. + the initial shed is very bad for some

Comment

• StuckInARut
      • Aug 2012

You are taking Fin at 17 years old?

Comment

• drybone
        • Dec 2012

Where did you get the finasteride. Who prescribes a 17 year old finasteride?

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
          • Jan 2011

Finasteride is for 18+ but I personally do not see the harm in a 17 year old using it.

17, 18. Tomato, tomato(e).

If you are not going to suffer from sides at 18, I am not a doctor, but I doubt you'd suffer from sides because of a year difference.

If you suffer from side effects at 25 years old, you'd probably get side effects at any age. IMHO.

Comment

• capitan
            • Oct 2013

25 going on 65,

Let's say that I'm one of the unlucky guys who can't completely halt hair loss on Finasteride.

How bad do you think the damage will be in the year before hopping on Dut?

I know you have no way of knowing, but I'm trying to gather as many opinions as possible.

Also, this is not a "should I take Finasteride" thread. If you have to ask that question the answer is usually yes, unless you want to be bald very soon.

But to clear things up, I have no sides. My dermatologist prescribed it after diagnosing me with MPHL. I then went to my endocrinologist and talked to him about it, he said it's also safe. I even went to a urologist, who prescribes 5mg for people with BPH, he also said it's safe.

So I'm already looking for some 2% Ketoconazole shampoo, but is there anything else I should do?

Thanks.

Comment

• drybone
              • Dec 2012

You are doing the right thing .

I waited until I was a NW 3 and I regret it. I wish there was fin or dut when I was 20 years old.

If you got no sides and professionals prescribe it, go for it.

Comment

• capitan
                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by drybone
                You are doing the right thing .

I waited until I was a NW 3 and I regret it. I wish there was fin or dut when I was 20 years old.

If you got no sides and professionals prescribe it, go for it.
                Yeah man, like I said, I went for it a while ago. But thanks.

I'm just wondering if I'm risking more hair loss by not adding things like Rogaine Foam or Spiro cream. I don't want to go full retard but I also don't want to just take Fin and then lose hair I could have kept on extra topicals.

I don't know much about topicals. Lol.

Comment

• Dan26
                  • Jul 2012

dude use kirkland minox once a night atleast, if u are a responder it will help a lot to delay MPB ie keep your hairs in anagen much longer#

i used to say **** minox its a chemical wig etc etc but truth is it buys you time

Comment

• capitan
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Dan26
                    dude use kirkland minox once a night atleast, if u are a responder it will help a lot to delay MPB ie keep your hairs in anagen much longer#

i used to say **** minox its a chemical wig etc etc but truth is it buys you time
                    Yeah I got some Rogaine foam bottles that I'm to scared to use because of shedding. Lol.

Is it just as good as liquid?

Comment

• fred970
                      • Nov 2009

Yes, otherwise why would we still be talking about a cure? We would already have it.

Comment

• Dan26
                        • Jul 2012

some say liquid is better but start with the foam if thats what u have...ideally if u went 2x a day u could do liquid at night foam in the morning, or for now just do once at night with the foam and see how that goes.

Comment

• capitan
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by fred970
                          Yes, otherwise why would we still be talking about a cure? We would already have it.
                          I was hoping that it was impossible to go completely bald if one was taking Finasteride from early on.

I also thought that the only people who didn't more or less keep their hair, were the people who got side effects or never even took Finasteride.

I have a lot riding on this medication but some days the future doesn't look too bright.

Comment

• crafter
                            • Sep 2013

you should keep your hair with finasteride.

Comment

• Dan26
                              • Jul 2012

if you hop on it early enough there is hope...it will all depend how agressive your loss is. You may need something like dut years down the road if your MPB overpowers fin

Comment

Working...