Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Someguy
    • Apr 2009

The painful truth! How can I get help?

Hi I am a 48 year old man who has always had great hair!
    Well I guess I have a bald spot! I have been in denial... but I took the photo this morning. It hurts. But I know men who are very bald.

Is there anything I can do to reverse this?

Can anyone help me?
    Thanks
    Attached Files
  • PayDay
    • Nov 2008

You’re not going to get a lot of people crying for you here if that’s all you got at 48 You should consider yourself very lucky to have had all your hair till almost 50!
    If you start taking Propecia now chances are you will grow some back some and keep what you have for another decade or so. Being as old as you are MPB is usually very slow moving. You should be fine.

Comment

• Someguy
      • Apr 2009

Thanks.

Does Propecia cause manboobs?

Comment

• the B spot
        Doctor Representative
        • Jan 2009

Hi someguy--at 48, with your level of loss, you would seem to be an excellent candidate for a HT---with or without propecia.

Obviously, in the best case, you would be a good responder to Propecia, with no side effects (generally most people fall into this category) and coupled with a HT would effectively eliminate your bald spot.

Looking at your pic maybe 1200-1800 grafts--- we could be a bit more aggressive because your 48.

At this point, it is entirely up to you how to proceed.... you could get on Propecia for 6-8 months and see if you crown improves and then explore a HT--or you could forgo the wait and decide to go forward now.

Do some research and consults to get a feel for approach, cost, etc....

You will have a choice between strip or fue methods--so make sure to ask a ton of questions!

Take Care,
        Jason
        Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Comment

• Someguy
          • Apr 2009

Thank you.

After showing my wife this photo she had me look at the back of my head in the mirror after taking a shower and combing my hair. It looks 50% better! It's nowhere near as bad as this photo.

How much does a Hair Transplant cost? I'm currently out of work.

How about dermarollers? Do they help?

Comment

• TeeJay73
            • Oct 2008

Hair transplant costs vary widely, but you're probably looking at a few thousand bucks. You're a lucky guy at 48 if that little spot is your only issue. I'm 35 and I have even worse crown issues!

Comment

• straubfan
              Doctor Representative
              • Apr 2009

Yes I agree with PayDay consider yourself to be pretty lucky. It's in my opinion that Propecia give's best results. Everyone is different!!! In some cases it maintains the hair you have, others grow back the hair they have lost. Good Luck

Comment

• the B spot
                Doctor Representative
                • Jan 2009

A HT for a person in your position would be 5000-8000 dollars.

I apologize, but I failed to mention that concealers will add the look of density to your crown as well.

Dermatch--which colors the skin and hair is a nice choice

Nanogen-- which uses fibers to bond to the hair

Both of these are low cost and certainly worth a shot while your working through all the information.

Take Care,
                Jason
                Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Comment

• Someguy
                  • Apr 2009

Thanks everyone.

Where would I go to get a consultation on a hair transplant? I'm out of work and I JUST KNOW the wife would say the money can go to something better. Since we have children she is probably right.

I will go get Propecia and try it. I did start it about 4 years ago but stopped. Stupid me.

My spot does look much better when my hair is washed and combed, but it's still there.

Comment

• Mark Baxa, MD
                    • Mar 2009

SomeGuy - Reference: Finasteride

Hello SomeGuy,

In reviewing your photo ... I would DEFINITELY recommend that you start on Finasteride!! FYI - Finasteride is the active ingredient in Propecia. I believe that Propecia is very expensive, so I offer my patients the generic Finasteride which is also combined with Selenium & Biotin!
                    Regardless, you should start on the Finasteride sooner ... then later!
                    Finasteride is approximately 89.9% effective .... It does NOT re-grow hair, but it can reverse the 'vellus' hair back to a good thicker 'terminal' hair.
                    If you need more information, please feel free to call me directly.
                    Mark D. Baxa, MD

Comment

• Hairdude
                      • Apr 2009

I would just get a transplant and get it done with. What is going to fall out is going to fall out, let it. I don't know what it costs for generic Finasteride, but I am sure over a 10 year period, it is cheaper and less hassle if you got a transplant now. Since your frontal hairline is not an issue, you should get excellent results with a transplant.

Comment

• Ragckr
                        • Apr 2009

If I were you, I would start in on Finasteride as soon as possible. To be honest, a hair transplant is probably not the best idea to jump right into at your stage. It would most likely give you EXCELLENT coverage right now..............but what happens if those temples start to recede some? What happens when you now have a HT scar on the back of your head (cant shave your head anymore) and you cant donate more hair to the front because you used it all in the back?

In my opinion (based solely on countless hours of research, not a medical doctor here) I would hold off on a HT, and instead start right in on propecia. Give the finasteride a good chance and see what happens. Maybe it will fix the problem for you...........perhaps it will maintain what you have. If it turns out Fin. is maintaining what you have, then I would explore the possibility of a HT in the back. But only after you can for certain say that your frontal hairline is not moving.

Just my opinion there.

Comment

• PayDay
                          • Nov 2008

Why go though the hassle and expense of a hair transplant until you need one? See how Propecia works and you can always use Dermatch to cover the thin spots. What if you need to restore your hairline someday? Save your grafts in case you really need them!

Comment

• Mark Baxa, MD
                            • Mar 2009

Someguy - Request for information

I know that everyone here has an opinion. I can only state that as a MD [Medical Doctor] .... In my experience I would recommend what 'Payday' and 'Ragckr' have stated above.
                            First try the conservative approach .... That would be Finasteride!
                            A Hair Transplant can always be done at a later date if you still wish .... but it can not be un-done.
                            So why not try the 'Easy-Button' approach first!
                            In reference to the cost over ten years .... Well, you will know in the first 18 -24 months if the Finasteride has worked for you! If not, then you can consider the more invasive appproach .... That being a Hair Transplant.
                            Mark D. Baxa, MD

Comment

• Hairdude
                              • Apr 2009

I made that statement assuming there is not excessive frontal recession. He is 48yo, so chances are that he is not going to recede too much in the front in the future. I guess trying FIN for 18 months is a reasonable less invasive approach, but he will have to be on it for the next 30+ years, and if he stops taking the medication it's going to fall out. If it were me, I would have the HT done, he seems to have good donor supply. Rather than "try" Finasteride for 18 months, I would have hair in 8 - 12 months and never have to worry about it. If he's too concerned about the scar, then go FUE. He can always get another HT later if he needs one. I think in the future, HT will be like getting braces for your teeth, if that hasn't happened already.

Comment

Working...