Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glawre
    • Jun 2010

Saw Palmetto verses Propecia

I stopped taking Propecia because of the side effects and started taking Saw Palmetto. I have only been taking SP for two months so it is too early to see any results. I have several questions so anyone who wants to jump in please do so.

Does anyone think Saw Palmetto is effective in maintaining hair and stopping hair loss?

I was under the impression that there would be no side effects from taking Saw Palmetto but darn it, I think I am experiencing the same effect that I got with Propecia although not a severe.

Thanks for the feedback
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Glawre
    Does anyone think Saw Palmetto is effective in maintaining hair and stopping hair loss?
    There is no good quality evidence that Saw Palmetto is helpful in treating hereditary MPB in any meaningful way.

I was under the impression that there would be no side effects from taking Saw Palmetto but darn it, I think I am experiencing the same effect that I got with Propecia although not a severe.
    If any other remedy (herbal or medicinal) actually could be helpful in treating hereditary MPB in any meaningful way, it would likely have a similar side effect profile as Finasteride.

Comment

• gutted
      • Jan 2011

I stopped taking Propecia because of the side effects and started taking Saw Palmetto. I have only been taking SP for two months so it is too early to see any results. I have several questions so anyone who wants to jump in please do so.

Thanks for the feedback
      saw palmetto can be effective depending on the dosage and supplemnet brand you are taking.

the fact that you started straight away after dropping fin means you dont know if the sides are still the result of fin or saw palmetto, it takes some time for your hormonal balance to brestored after getting off fin.

Comment

• Tracy C
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gutted
        saw palmetto can be effective depending on the dosage and supplemnet brand you are taking.
        There is no good legitimate evidence to support that.

Comment

• Glawre
          • Jun 2010

I failed to mention that I had been off of propecia for 6 months before I started with SP. I was side effect free when I started SP. It does make sence to me that if I am getting side effects from SP then it may be effecting my DHT levels the way Propecia did. Also interesting is that my side effects are not as bad on SP as they were on Propecia so maby the effect on DHT, if any, will be reletive to the side effects. I am just thinking. I am also wondering if I take the SP and a very low dose of Propecia, one tablet a week if this will be effective. It is a shame that I experienced side effects with Propecia as it made a visible difference. I have a long running experience with Propecia as I first started using it 10 years ago. I keep thinking I will get over the side effects but end up coming off of the drug. I have altered the dose from every other day, half a pill every day and half a pill every other day. I do not beleive the claim by Merck that less than 2% of men experience side effects because as a man in my 50's I have known several others who tried the drug and they all had to stop.

Thanks, Gary

Comment

• blowmeup
            • Nov 2008

Saw Palmetto does cause the same sexual side affects as Propecia. Kobren talks about that all the time on The Bald Truth.

Comment

• gutted
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Tracy C
              There is no good legitimate evidence to support that.
              yes i agree i forgot to put that disclaimer in the post.

Comment

• gutted
                • Jan 2011

I failed to mention that I had been off of propecia for 6 months before I started with SP. I was side effect free when I started SP. It does make sence to me that if I am getting side effects from SP then it may be effecting my DHT levels the way Propecia did. Also interesting is that my side effects are not as bad on SP as they were on Propecia so maby the effect on DHT, if any, will be reletive to the side effects. I am just thinking. I am also wondering if I take the SP and a very low dose of Propecia, one tablet a week if this will be effective. It is a shame that I experienced side effects with Propecia as it made a visible difference. I have a long running experience with Propecia as I first started using it 10 years ago. I keep thinking I will get over the side effects but end up coming off of the drug. I have altered the dose from every other day, half a pill every day and half a pill every other day. I do not beleive the claim by Merck that less than 2% of men experience side effects because as a man in my 50's I have known several others who tried the drug and they all had to stop.

Thanks, Gary
                whcih brand of saw palmetto are you using?

Comment

• Glawre
                  • Jun 2010

Will have to get back to you. Not at home to look at the bottle.

Comment

• Glawre
                    • Jun 2010

Do we think SP works? I know there is not a clinical trial associated with is't effectiveness on lowering DHT.

Comment

• Jan 2012

In different cell systems, the lipido-sterolic extract of Serenoa repens (LSESr, Permixon inhibits both type 1 and type 2 5alpha-reductase activity (5alphaR1 and 5alphaR2). LSESr is mainly constituted of fatty acids (90+/-5%) essentially as free fatty acids (80%). Among these free fatty acids, the m …

Inhibition of type 1 and type 2 5alpha-reductase activity by free fatty acids, active ingredients of Permixon.

Permixon = Serenoa repens = Saw Palmetto

it inhibits both types of AR so it could cause just the same side effects as Propecia...

Comment

• Tracy C
                        • Sep 2011

Do we think SP works?
                        I don't know about "we" but I am not convinced that Saw Palmetto would be able to help in the treatment of hereditary hair loss in any meaningful way.

Comment

• Glawre
                          • Jun 2010

Thank you both for your input.

G

Comment

• skipstah70
                            • Dec 2008

Yes, I believe SP works.. I do not think it is as potent as Finast however.

Comment

• skipstah70
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Tracy C
                              I don't know about "we" but I am not convinced that Saw Palmetto would be able to help in the treatment of hereditary hair loss in any meaningful way.
                              It works by the exact same mechanism as Propecia. The reason there aren't any ****ing ' trials' done on herbal medicines (and never will be) , is because no one is willing to pay for something that they ultimately can't profit from. You can't patent herbal medicines, so no one is going to waste any time or the gobs of money blind trials would cost.

Let's be rocket scientists for a second and connect the dots Tracy. Saw Palmetto has long been prescribed for BHP(shrinking the prostate), ... and.. hey, that's what propecia was originally designed for too! Many men who take SP for BHP complain of the exact same symptoms as those who take propecia/proscar... hmm... that's an interesing coincidence too! SP works the by the same mechanism in the body as propecia, reducing/inhibit ing the conversion of testosterone to dht. Hmmmm. another coincidence!!

Connect the dots people!

Comment

Working...