Desmond -- Update us on your topical fin experiment?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RU58841
    • Mar 2015

Desmond -- Update us on your topical fin experiment?

I know you explained how to create a topical finasteride almost a year ago and began using that, and you mentioned early on that you believed it was working due to it stopping the itching.

In light of Hasson & Wong finally making their version available, are you still using topical finasteride? What have the results been? Any side effects? And were you using oral finasteride before that?
  • Desmond84
    • Oct 2012

Hi brother I've been meaning to update everyone here on topical finasteride but never got the chance to. So here it goes:

We have been compounding topical finasteride for over a year now for a lot patients. Over this time, I've done a lot of research, so here's all you need to know. Making topical fin, CB, Minox or even RU is so easy you would not believe! All you need is:
    1. Your active ingredient
    2. Suitable solvent
    3. Espumil foaming solution

Here's the link to Espumil:
    Fagron focuses on optimizing and innovating pharmaceutical compounding to widen the therapeutic scope of prescribers worldwide.

That's all. For example to make topical fin:
    Crush your Finasteride tablets
    Dissolve in alcohol (solvent)
    Filter using a filter paper
    Add to Espumil solution
    Poor into a foaming bottle.
    Voila

Thats it. It works and at least 20 ppl that I personally know of are using it.

Here's a video to help you do it:

Hope that helps everyone if you have questions about calculations, how much to put in, etc let me know and I'll post a thorough step by step protocol.

Cheers,

Des

Comment

• Hicks
      • Apr 2013

where are the after photos of this guy?

Comment

• ppxrare
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Desmond84

Thats it. It works and at least 20 ppl that I personally know of are using it.

works the same as ingesting it?

Comment

• iaskdumbquestions
          • Dec 2015

Sides?

Comment

• Seuxin
            • Jan 2014

Hey Desmond ! About CB, Versapro and HRT cream is to forget ??? Espumil is a better vehicle ?? Thanks

Comment

• Arashi
              • Aug 2012

What's the advantage here ? That you'd need to use less fin ?

Comment

• burtandernie
                • Nov 2012

does anyone know the topical ml you need to apply to inhibit a percent of serum DHT? Does it go systemic less then oral? I guess I also wonder what is the benefit to doing this work and going topical over internal?

Comment

• RU58841
                  • Mar 2015

Great, Desmond, you're here. Thanks much for the instructions. A few specific questions for you...

1. You said 20 people are using it and it works. Do you mean 20 people who had side effects on oral finasteride are using topical finasteride effectively but WITHOUT side effects? Avoiding side effects of the pill is really what we're interested in here.

2. Do you believe H&W's liposomal version makes sense, and is likely to make a difference compared to other formulations? (Particularly with regard to avoiding side effects?)

Also, this is the 2007 paper on liposomal topical finasteride that someone cited: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18161632

The full paper -- which I can't make heads or tails of -- is here: https://www.scribd.com/doc/307372835...al-finasteride

Maybe someone can interpret that for us.

Comment

• Tim1960
                    • Dec 2015

Does Hasson & Wong have topical propecia? Will they precribe it to patients who have not had a hair transplant? And anyone out there who cut propecia in a half dose everyday 0.5mg per day instead of 1.0 mg.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                      • Feb 2011

Desmond!!! Thank goodness you are back man. I really missed you posting on here! Anyway, I have a question. I had terrible side effects when I used finasteride. Do you think that this topical finasteride would give me the same side effects?

Comment

• nobs
                        • Mar 2016

Wouldn't something like this increase the absorption of topical finasteride into the bloodstream since finasteride is already lipophilic? Also, any indication that this would be available to consumers and not just pharmacists? This is the first time I'm hearing about this.

Comment

• Desmond84
                          • Oct 2012

Okay guys, let me blow your minds with the information we dug up and presented to the dermatologists in our area! Back in 1995 when Merck was testing Finasteride for AGA, they also ran a small trial of 52 patients using very low-dose topical finasteride! This trial used Finasteride in 0.005% concentration and ran for 16 months! Can you believe it! It was minuscule doses and guess what happened

We present herein the results of a single-blind, placebo-controlled, 16- month trial carried out in 52 patients with AGA using a 0.005% finasteride solution. The clinical outcome, in terms of both hair regrowth and balding areas reduction, seems to be encouraging, in the absence of either any evidence of percutaneous absorption of finasteride, or local/systemic untoward effects.
                          This study was later published in 1997 and is titled:

Topical finasteride in the treatment of androgenic alopecia. Preliminary evaluations after a 16-month therapy course

Results:
                          Of the 52 patients enrolled, 36 (69.2%) completed the entire study period. Notably, all dropouts occurred in the placebo group after 1 to 10 months. Moreover, the overall tolerability of the treatment was excellent. No patient
                          experienced any local or systemic untoward effect. In particular, in the finasteride group laboratory data revealed no relevant change in plasma levels of total testosterone, free testosterone or dihydrotestosterone. On the basis of these findings any significant percutaneous absorption of the drug could reasonably be excluded.
                          The size of the balding reduced, terminal hair count increased while in the placebo group it all went to negatives. Surprise surprise. They even collected plasma DHT level data and it was barely changed but the hairloss improved.

Now I don't why the topicals since then were being prepared in 1% concentrations which is higher than the oral dose you take but that is most probably why ppl experience sides even on topical fin.

For those that don't know I am a compounding pharmacist and we have patients using topical fin in many different strengths ranging from 0.05% all the way to 0.1% and they all seem to be happy with it.

So don't lose hope. Finasteride may still be a viable option for you. You just have to go down the topical route in very low doses.

Comment

• Desmond84
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Desmond84
                            For those that don't know I am a compounding pharmacist and we have patients using topical fin in many different strengths ranging from 0.05% all the way to 0.1% and they all seem to be happy with it.
                            Sorry I meant between 0.005% to 0.1% Missed a zero there LOL

Comment

• Desmond84
                              • Oct 2012

Now with regards to liposomal delivery. That is very interesting indeed. If you are able to get it then by all means go ahead and try it. Unfortunately as far as I'm aware liposomal drug delivery is a very complicated process and can not be made in a compounding pharmacy. If you can't access that then go right ahead and try this method instead.

Cheers,

Des.

Comment

Working...