Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThinningHairFML
    • Aug 2014

Nobody wants to give me Propecia.

What's with Dermatologists only prescribing Propecia once you're obviously balding? I've lost a lot of density and would like to maintain what I have, not wait until I get a very noticeable bald spot and be told "Here, take this. You can keep what you've got."

Dermatologist one: Saw me for probably three minutes. Said "Alopecia Areata" and sent me on my way with a hydrocortisone cream that I've been using on the patchy areas of my beard.

At Bosley: The consultant guy suggested I get Propecia to maintain what I have, but when he called the doctor in, she said she saw no signs of baldness yet, despite my slightly receded left temple, my balding nape, and me telling her I've lost a lot of density on the top of my head.

Dermatologist two: Did a hair pull test and said that I was losing one hair a pull, which is normal. She claimed I was probably near the tail-end of a telogen effluvium, but that doesn't make sense because I've been losing a steady amount of hair for a few months at least. She said to come back if it gets worse.

I'm frustrated that it seems impossible to get a prescription when you've still got most of your hair. I don't want to wait until I get a bald spot to get on it, but it looks like I'll have to.

I posted these pics in another thread, but here they are again that show obvious hair loss.

Pre-shower:

Post-shower:

It's very slight so far but you can see my scalp through my hair a little bit in the second picture. They aren't 100% identical angles, but you get the idea.

I'm honestly shocked three doctors in a row missed my hair loss, including one (the one at Bosley) who'd I assume is a hair loss "expert."

I'm prone to having bouts of hypochondria, but it's seriously hard to imagine hair loss. I think these pictures speak for them self.

Even if they didn't think I had MPB, how do doctors not think anything of a balding nape?
  • justhair
    • May 2013

That is unacceptable, your views are valid and your hair loss is preventable.
    In the meantime, i would begin using rogaine, use 5% for a couple months, then if you cannot get 15% prescription, buy a derma roller and a shower cap and increase rogaine 5% affects by over 300% but be careful if you do.

You have a right to this medication,
    Make an appointment with your general practitioner docter and INSIST that you need this medication, do not take no for an answer. Fake cry if you have to, Idk what to tell you, but if I was you I would not take no for answer.

Comment

• justhair
      • May 2013

If worse comes to worse and your doctors are all unethical, you might as well be unethical as well and get it yourself.

This is an online pharmacy, they operate out of the united states & are immune to united states perscription laws, you can find propecia, or finasteride there.

Comment

• ThinningHairFML
        • Aug 2014

I just don't trust buying that stuff online.

I plan on waiting a month or so, getting a hair cut so I know my hair loss will be immediately obvious, and then going back to the doctor. A month shouldn't change much as far as hair loss, I wouldn't think. As for Rogaine, I'm not interested for a few reasons... it's a chore, it doesn't work for many, and for who it does work, it doesn't work for very long.

I'm currently just using Nizoral EOD until I decide to demand Propecia. It's hard to demand right now when any doctor I see says I'm not losing my hair.

Comment

• justhair
          • May 2013

Understandable, I get it.

Minox is a chore, and over time is very expensive.
          I recently had a transplant to fix my corners, but before I was using minox / derma roller / shower cap at night for an hour and regrow a huge amount of hair I was shocked because i did not think rogaine works,

But it does because it lowers your blood pressure, that's how it works and then the hair responds well to this lowered blood pressure and hair grows.

I wish you the best friend, the nizoral is a good place to start.
          Your level of hair loss is not noticeable, even among men who are very hair - aware.
          If I saw your hair in person, as was pictured, I would not think you were balding ( I am being honest ) but I do see where your problem is, and only you know your body, and you know when it's changing.

The good thing is you caught it early, so maintain your momentum & I trust you will resolve your problem. Remember you are special and hair loss nowadays comes and goes. You will have months where you lose some, and months where you gain some when treating. Leaving you generally, with what you had to begin with. But in your case I would expect to regrow the hair, especially given how young you appear, your hair follicles are still active

Comment

• ThinningHairFML
            • Aug 2014

Look young enough to the point where the dermatologist said "You're a little young for Propecia right now." ... I guess she didn't look at my age on her paperwork. Eesh!

Thanks for the kind words. I know that my hair loss is probably not noticeable at all to most though. I even said "I probably look like a hypochondriac coming in here." at my last dermatologist appointment, but it's been laying differently, feels thinner, and I've been losing a good amount of hair ... that adds up to something that needs a look. Apparently none of the doctors think hair loss means anything! My initial appointment for a physical a little over a month ago where I asked my doctor (who's completely bald now and used to wear a toupee) about hair loss, all he said was "It's not male pattern baldness." because my hair's thinning in weird spots. It's more noticeable when my hair is shorter. Here's a picture from August or so:

Comment

• justhair
              • May 2013

I am also 23.
              I am happy we live in a time where there are real, working, viable hair loss treatment methods.

Your hair looks great & now that you are brave enough to acknowledge the beginning of a problem, you now have the means to prevent it, and always have fantastic looking hair.

^_^

Comment

• ThinningHairFML
                • Aug 2014

Have you tried finasteride personally? Always interested in others' experiences.

Comment

• justhair
                  • May 2013

Yes, I have.

No side affects, and it works well.
                  for me personally it completely stopped my hairloss, however it did not regrow my temples, so I had to have surgery for that. But that's fine, cus I had my eyebrows thickened too, so as a result of having gone thru hair problems I ended up being more attractive then I used to be.

Propecia is definitely worth it, and a miracle.

Comment

• Rodfarva
                    • May 2014

My derm refused to prescribe propecia, saying he wouldn't want to be responsible for chemically castrating a young man. I got a hold of it through another doc, but the first doctor was right. Even after quitting I couldn't get normal erections for months! It's a good thing that doctors are aware of their responsibilities you know, without saying that's the issue with this particular case.. There are own forums for people suffering from long-term side effects after propecia-use. Have a look at those guys' problems, and hairloss will seem rather minor in comparison..

Comment

• Jazz1
                      Inactive
                      • Aug 2012

These threads make my blood boil! These bloody stupid derms and doctor! I learned the hard way what a bunch of id*ots.

They robbed me for my hard earned money and left me without any hope until I joined these forums and got real help! That's why I'm around to help people to put those wa*kers out of pocket as I seriously hate them with passion, they are robbing thieving gits.

See my thread and show this to your derm, tell them never in hell would they have regrown my hair the way I did .

Ok firstly my names jazz iv been on here for a while and great forum I decided to create a thread on my success in hairloss. I'm creating this progress thread and will be updating more pictures as I get more regrowth, there's loads more hair coming so I thought I'd make a progress thread. Not going into too much detail but il

Comment

• justhair
                        • May 2013

Great re growth, are you still using promox after dr Klein passed away?

Comment

• burtandernie
                          • Nov 2012

I saw a derm who would have prescribed me propecia but did mention I have lots of hair still so after thinking about it I decided to hold off. Its been about 5 years and I still havent tried it but still have most of my hair its a very slow thing for me. He did say he cant tell if your going bald just looking until half your density is gone. So you could lose a lot of hair without it being immediately noticeable to others. He had tons of guys on propecia and said it was super safe. I guess it all depends who you talk to.
                          I went to a different derm first and she refused to prescribe it to me. So it really does depend who your doc or derm is. Some docs dont know anything about it or have that old mind set that its not even a problem

Comment

• ThinningHairFML
                            • Aug 2014

Man is it ever frustrating. I look at myself from the front in the mirror and I like my hair. It feels thick up top. Then I look at the nape of my neck and it looks absolutely awful. I can't imagine what people walking behind me think. My crown is also starting to thin.

I thought the hairline is usually what receded first? Mine is maybe a little bit, but it seems to be advancing slowly compared to other spots.

Comment

• Pboy101
                              • May 2014

When it comes to hair loss, we get paranoid and see everything for the worse, seeing/feeling major hair loss when it isn't there or is very minor. The only way to be completely accurate regarding hair loss is to keep a consistent photo diary of our hair as our memories and senses cannot be trusted in this case.

To me, your hair looks normal, thick and full even in the crown area you say you are losing. Everyone is suppose to have a little spiral with a touch of scalp seen in the middle. Do you have a family history of hair loss? Show us pictures of your receding temple and a picture of you previously to see the difference. If you are indeed losing hair at the nape (I don't think you are based on the picture in post #6), it can almost be certain that it is not MPB because MPB happens on top of the head, not the side or the back. Check stress and health level in that case.

The advice to you is that you need pictures. Get a better quality camera and clearly show hair loss in before and after pictures (the ones in this thread are not convincing imo). Everyone, including your dermatologists, then will have to believe you beyond a doubt if you got the picture proof. In the mean time, if you still want to do something to prevent hair loss, 2 (minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo) out of the Big 3 are available at Walmart. Good luck.

Comment

Working...