X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thatguy22
    • Jul 2014

Mature hairline or MPB?

Hi all,

I'm 18 (19 in November) and I recently became really worried about my hair. I have an M shaped hairline, and by M shaped I mean it is literally like an M; it's a sharp point at the center - not round.

The thing is, I've had this hairline for most of my life it's always been pointed. I guess I'm just becoming more self conscious about it now. I think in the past few years it may have receded a bit more, so I don't know if its early MPB or if it's just my "mature hairline".

Anyway, here is a video that in the first like 45 seconds you can see my hairline really well. I'm 16 in the video.

Nerf War: The Nightmare 2 by PDK Films, the largest Nerf channel on YouTube! We make the best Nerf War videos in the world, and our new channel, King Kousky,...

My hairline is still like that today, it's too hard to tell if it's receded anymore, and if it has it's nothing significant.

My parents and grandparents all have full hair, no balding. Also, here is a pic of my dad's hairline at age 47. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	467704

Here is a pic of me at age 15 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0482.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	467705

What do you guys think? I know I should see a doctor if I'm concerned, but I thought I'd ask here first. Also, the right hairline is receded a little bit more than the left.

Thanks
  • dex89
    • Jul 2012

Seems like a mature hairline but who really knows. I had my father NW 0 at age 18 and then I started to receded at age 20. You won't know till later on. If I was in your shoes, I will start using FIN and nizoral. Rogaine on hairlines do not work for shit.

Comment

• OrdinaryUser
      • Jul 2014

Based on your family history, etc, I wouldn't in haste go on medication. Most men don't retain their juvenile hairline, and nothing about the case you presented suggests you will deviate from your father and develop nasty baldness. Do go consult with a Doctor about the concern and, more importantly, monitor consistently the progress of the recession and any other problems that may come about. The good thing about monitoring it is, if the recession becomes severe enough, Finasteride can really do the best job at recovering some hair loss that just occurred if there are still hairs that haven't transitioned to the see-through vellus hairs.

Comment

• thatguy22
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by dex89
        Seems like a mature hairline but who really knows. I had my father NW 0 at age 18 and then I started to receded at age 20. You won't know till later on. If I was in your shoes, I will start using FIN and nizoral. Rogaine on hairlines do not work for shit.
        Thanks, I looked up nizoral and are you talking about the anti-dandruff shampoo? if so, how will this help? Thanks

Comment

• thatguy22
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by OrdinaryUser
          Based on your family history, etc, I wouldn't in haste go on medication. Most men don't retain their juvenile hairline, and nothing about the case you presented suggests you will deviate from your father and develop nasty baldness. Do go consult with a Doctor about the concern and, more importantly, monitor consistently the progress of the recession and any other problems that may come about. The good thing about monitoring it is, if the recession becomes severe enough, Finasteride can really do the best job at recovering some hair loss that just occurred if there are still hairs that haven't transitioned to the see-through vellus hairs.
          Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

Comment

• goldnt
            • Jan 2014

Post a photo of your hairline right now at age 18.

Comment

• thatguy22
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by goldnt
              Post a photo of your hairline right now at age 18.
              Here you goClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5920.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	438855Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5918.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	438856

Comment

• goldnt
                • Jan 2014

Dude that looks like a mature hairline, however you should keep an eye on it. If you recede further consider treatment. But from what i can tell you just have a high mature hairline. Its just a bit higher than your fathers but thats just genetics.

Comment

• thatguy22
                  • Jul 2014

Dude that looks like a mature hairline, however you should keep an eye on it. If you recede further consider treatment. But from what i can tell you just have a high mature hairline. Its just a bit higher than your fathers but thats just genetics.
                  Thanks man that's reassuring I appreciate it! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Comment

• thatguy22
                    • Jul 2014

New info

I just read about miniaturization, and my hair is short so I couldn't really tell if I had any. So, I cut some hair off my left hairline and cut some from the top of my head, and the hair from my left hairline is definitely a little thinner.

Is this a cause for concern? If so, I'm thinking of getting on some meds, either finasterside or prop. What do you guys think?

Comment

• LMS
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by thatguy22
                      I just read about miniaturization, and my hair is short so I couldn't really tell if I had any. So, I cut some hair off my left hairline and cut some from the top of my head, and the hair from my left hairline is definitely a little thinner.

Is this a cause for concern? If so, I'm thinking of getting on some meds, either finasterside or prop. What do you guys think?
                      Hey dawg, I too am an 18 year old (19 in august) and I had a very similar hairline to yours except mine was even more "M" shaped. It looked like I was balding before I hit puberty except for the thing you mentioned: the peak was "V" shaped, not "U" shaped liked in MPB.

Anyways, the thing about our hairlines is that any recession looks exponentially worse because of our natural hairlines.

What it seems you have right now is a mature hairline - however it could continue to recede. What I suggest is that over the next 6 months or whatever you closely monitor your hairline for any recession/thinning. In the mean time educate yourself about ALL available treatment options - minoxidil, propecia/finasteride (same thing) and even "experimental" treatments, namely RU58841.

I was unfortunately unlucky in that I had MPB. I first went with dutasteride (essentially stronger version of finasteride) but had terrible side effects and now am on RU58841, an expirimental anti androgen with better results and manageable side effects (I'm looking to get on a completely side effect free treatment soon).

All I can say is do your research.

Comment

• goldnt
                        • Jan 2014

You can go to a hair transplant office, to take a hair dx test( i think that's what its called) they do a test your hair if its being affected by dht. Your hairline is so similar to your dads and that's why i wouldn't jump right away on treatment. So find out because finasteride is a life thing and so is everything with hair. The moment you stop you lose that hair and you certainly don't want to be wondering over the years if you really need them.

Comment

• thatguy22
                          • Jul 2014

You can go to a hair transplant office, to take a hair dx test( i think that's what its called) they do a test your hair if its being affected by dht. Your hairline is so similar to your dads and that's why i wouldn't jump right away on treatment. So find out because finasteride is a life thing and so is everything with hair. The moment you stop you lose that hair and you certainly don't want to be wondering over the years if you really need them.
                          How much does that cost

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                            Doctor Representative
                            • Aug 2012

Rarely, I will meet a patient with zero hair loss in his immediate family who is thinning. Chances are if your father has decent hair, your mother's father had decent hair, your father's brothers, and your mother's brothers are in good shape, you will not have to deal with baldness. Young guys often panic when they see normal recession. Very few men don't have any recession. The late president Ronald Reagan is an example of a man with no recession.

Just keep an eye on thinning or miniaturization. Our patient today is 39 and has some thinning he is addressing with hair transplants. He told me there is very little hair loss in his family.

When I was 14, my hairline receded a little bit. I panicked. Recession turned out to be the least of my worries because my hair thinned.

We have a patient whose hair thinned dramatically on top and he originally had a low hairline without any recession. He had 3600 grafts to address his thin hair mainly to rebuild a hairline. Dr. Cole placed his new hairline above his existing thinning hairline. The higher hairline looks more natural and our patient shaves his old hairline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Side-by Side.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	438858
                            Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• thatguy22
                              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
                              Rarely, I will meet a patient with zero hair loss in his immediate family who is thinning. Chances are if your father has decent hair, your mother's father had decent hair, your father's brothers, and your mother's brothers are in good shape, you will not have to deal with baldness. Young guys often panic when they see normal recession. Very few men don't have any recession. The late president Ronald Reagan is an example of a man with no recession.

Just keep an eye on thinning or miniaturization. Our patient today is 39 and has some thinning he is addressing with hair transplants. He told me there is very little hair loss in his family.

When I was 14, my hairline receded a little bit. I panicked. Recession turned out to be the least of my worries because my hair thinned.

We have a patient whose hair thinned dramatically on top and he originally had a low hairline without any recession. He had 3600 grafts to address his thin hair mainly to rebuild a hairline. Dr. Cole placed his new hairline above his existing thinning hairline. The higher hairline looks more natural and our patient shaves his old hairline.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33825[/ATTACH]

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
                              The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
                              Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
                              Thanks for your post! My mom's brothers all have hair, and my dad has no brothers. SO that's reassuring

Comment

Working...