Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mothernature
    • Mar 2011

60-120 hairs lost a day

So I've read that as part of a normal hair growth cycle and depending on how much hair you have etc. you should expect to lose 60-120 hairs a day? Is this normal? How do we know if the hair we see on our pillow/desk etc. is just part of a normal cycle or part of MPB?
  • Dr. Glenn Charles
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
    • Nov 2008

It is true that most adults do lose hairs and have dormant follicles generate new hairs on a daily basis. When people are losing more each day than they are gaining that thinning starts to become apparent.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• teg_101
      • Dec 2009

As scary as that sounds, that is what I've been told as well. Some people tend to lose more so than others, in terms of daily shedding.

A question for Dr Charles: is it normal for an individual to go through multiple sheds throughout the year, or is it supposed to be just one 'seasonal' shed?

Comment

• mothernature
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by teg_101
        A question for Dr Charles: is it normal for an individual to go through multiple sheds throughout the year, or is it supposed to be just one 'seasonal' shed?
        good question, and how long do these seasonal sheds last? And with MPB does the shed last longer?

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
          IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
          • Nov 2008

I agree that these are very good questions. I believe that some patients may experience what appears to be multiple shed cycles in a single year while others never really notice any shed cycle. As always it will depend on genetics and probably other factors as well. Patients who have the gene for hair loss will at some point experience more shedding that regrowth and that is when the thinning becomes noticeable.
          Dr. Glenn Charles
          Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
          View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

Working...