Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clee984
    • Feb 2010

Smoking and Baldness

Apologies if this has been covered before (I think it has been touched on in other forum threads), I'm only a very casual frequenter of this forum since I had a successful hair transplant, but this is something I've pondered for a long time.

I just read about a study from 2007 of men in asia which found a causal link between their baldness status and whether they were long-term users of tobacco.

This has long intrigued me from my own personal observations of my friends since high school. We're in our mid-30s now, and of my friends who never smoked cigarettes, none are bald or even balding. Of the six who have been tobacco smokers, including myself, all are either Norwood 7s, 6s, 5s or 4s - and I would be too were it not for an HT. (all but one of them no longer smokes, but all six were habitual tobacco users over a period of years).

Obviously this could well be coincidence, and equally obviously those who smoke are also more likely to live a generally unhealthy lifestyle, but I still find it intriguing. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or if Spencer has ever featured this on his show - I do vaguely remember something about it in his book, although at the time I told myself the traditional smoker's self-deception that this is always included in any advice about anything, ever
  • Patches
    • May 2021

Is this topic still actual? I thought no one talks about it.

Comment

• Ruthskinn
      • May 2021

These things are horrible. No one wants to feel them on himself. It depends more on the doctor. The article you left could be valuable for someone who loves to read something like that. The best decision is to protect yourself. If someone is smoking, I'd suggest you quit it or switch on something more straightforward, like a vape. There are many types and categories of vapes, like heavy vapes and light ones or various fruits. If you love something which has a long life, you can check MTL tanks. It's an incredible thing to have in hand.

Comment

• YaroK
        • Oct 2021

Smoking tobacco can potentially damage your hair follicles and increase your risk of developing hair loss. It may also cause oxidative stress and reduced blood flow to your hair follicles that may contribute to hair loss. It so happened that I worked on one project with the guys from https://writinguniverse.com/free-ess...raphic-design/ and wrote an article on the topic. As far as I know, smoking damages DNA, which can also affect the hair follicles damaging the hair at the root and the hair growth cycle. And such changes can cause early greying or lightening of the hair.

Comment

• clee984
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by YaroK
          Smoking tobacco can potentially damage your hair follicles and increase your risk of developing hair loss. It may also cause oxidative stress and reduced blood flow to your hair follicles that may contribute to hair loss. It so happened that I worked on one project with the guys from https://writinguniverse.com/free-ess...raphic-design/ and wrote an article on the topic. As far as I know, smoking damages DNA, which can also affect the hair follicles damaging the hair at the root and the hair growth cycle. And such changes can cause early greying or lightening of the hair.
          As I get older I am coming around more to the belief that lifestyle is quite a big contributor to baldness. When it happened to me, I just cursed genetics with every fibre of my being, but now I think that maybe my heavy smoking, drinking and appalling diet in my teenage years and 20s had a significant negative impact on my hair and my health generally (although still curse genetics).

Regret is a terrible thing. There is so much I should have done differently, but, I hated myself, and wanted to damage myself as much as possible.

Comment

• DHT Crusader
            • Jan 2022

Yeah btw last year I quit smoking for 3 months and caffeine too and my hair mysteriously regrew like if it was a teenagers‘, except for the diffuse deficits on top. Also growth speed was like 3x. I‘ve always been a heavy smoker and I‘m 100% sure it fuked up my hair and started the balding process before due time

Comment

• LloydB
              • Jan 2022

Thank you for good post.

Comment

• rawaxoko
                • Jan 2022

Originally posted by clee984
                Apologies if this has been covered before (I think it has been touched on in other forum threads), I'm only a very casual frequenter of this forum since I had a successful hair transplant, but this is something I've pondered for a long time.

I just read about a study from 2007 of men in asia which found a causal link between their baldness status and whether they were long-term users of tobacco.

This has long intrigued me from my own personal observations of my friends since high school. We're in our mid-30s now, and of my friends who never smoked cigarettes, none are bald or even balding. Of the six who have been tobacco smokers, including myself, all are either Norwood 7s, 6s, 5s or 4s - and I would be too were it not for an HT. (all but one of them no longer smokes, but all six were habitual tobacco users over a period of years).

Obviously this could well be coincidence, and equally obviously those who smoke are also more likely to live a generally unhealthy lifestyle, but I still find it intriguing. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or if Spencer has ever featured this on his show - I do vaguely remember something about it in his book, although at the time I told myself the traditional smoker's self-deception that this is always included in any advice about anything, ever
                thx for sharing

Comment

• thatslin
                  • Nov 2021

Originally posted by DHT Crusader
                  Yeah btw last year I quit smoking for 3 months and caffeine too and my hair mysteriously regrew like if it was a teenagers‘, except for the diffuse deficits on top. Also growth speed was like 3x. I‘ve always been a heavy smoker and I‘m 100% sure it fuked up my hair and started the balding process before due time
                  Bro, for real? Did you get nauseous or dizzy when you smoked? Cause I feel exhausted immediately after I smoke the first cig of the day and I think it might has some to do with my hairloss issue

Comment

• DHT Crusader
                    • Jan 2022

Yes, that was also the reason I got addicted to it, that "high". Seems like the majority doesnt get it. Now it just disgusts me tbh

Comment

• kerencostley
                      • May 2022

Sorry mate, but I don't think the fear of hair loss should drive us toward quitting smoking. There are other more concerning and serious diseases caused by smoking. Answering your question, I've done my research and haven't found anything proving 100% the interconnection between them. I moved to vape and exactly to Dot pro vaping pods. I strongly believe, or at least want to believe, that way, I avoid all the negative effects caused by smoking cigarettes. Does it make any sense? Of course, considering vaping is relatively new, several studies should be held to prove its safety.

Comment

• Solomider
                        • Jun 2022

What you say has a high dose of truth. We all probably already know that smoking can turn our life into an unhealthy one and endanger it. In addition to affecting the internal organs, especially the lungs, smoking also creates negative effects on the nails, skin, and hair. It is quite likely that a small percentage of smoking causes baldness. My father went through this, and because he didn't want to have randomly distributed hair on his head, he decided to use the best ipl hair removal device to become bald.

Comment

• smartbehan
                          • Jun 2022

I would like to introduce you to hair transplantation in Iran, which is performed by the best doctors in Iran and in the best hospitals in Iran at a reasonable price and by Smart Behan Medical Tourism Company in Iran.

Comment

• DJS
                            • Aug 2022

Here's another more recent 2020 study on the same subject: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jocd.13727
                            The researchers found that 425 out of 500 smokers had some degree of hair loss while only 200 of 500 non-smokers showed signs of hair loss.
                            The researchers found that 47 percent of the smokers had grade 3 hair loss and 24 percent had grade 4. Only 10 percent of non-smokers reached grades 3 or 4. The researchers concluded that nicotine and related chemicals might be responsible for accelerating hair loss.

Comment

Working...