Yes Swoop said it better than I ever could have, but that has been my problem too with the mouse model.
Just because it works on them, doesn't mean it will on us because they don't have MPB, they have a totally different cause for their hairlessness.
I personally think the mouse follicles are stunted, waiting to sprout but somethings holding them back.
In AGA, the follicles are shrinking and getting weaker, not wanting to grow anymore.
New topical drug for male pattern baldnes by dr christiano
Collapse
X
-
I was waiting for your reply swooping. Thanks for clearing things upLeave a comment:
-
Well also think of the following. First of all no mice "naturally" balds. Secondly even if you engineer a mice to be devoid of hair what the hell does that have to with do with AGA? I mean we have several pathologies that make humans go "bald" too. Telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, cicatrial alopecia etc. They are all different in their nature. Cicatrial alopecia for example is simply irreversible due to complete destruction of the hair follicle by scarring (fibrosis).So i just went back and looked at that photo of the 3 mice from this experiment. Look at it again
Does anyone else think it looks like the mice have been shaved? I mean, it looks like they have hair, but its trimmed very very short. If these mice had anything that resembled MPB, wouldnt they be slick bald on their bodies??
But they are not slick bald at all. They still look like they are covered in short fuzzy hair
You can't even engineer a mice to have AGA because that would mean you know how AGA works. It's hilarious.
It's very debatable though that stumptail macaque are a pretty good model for AGA. Why? Well they do go "naturally" bald on their scalp. Besides that androgens do seem to play a role in their balding too. Why? Well researchers used to actually test on them in the past. Compounds like finasteride and RU-58841 actually increased hair counts in them. Just like in humans. This means that androgens in stumptail macaque seem to have a negative effect on hair growth on their scalp.
The most hilarious thing in mice is that actually estrogen seems to act as a negative just like for our body hair. Estrogen in humans seems to exert a positive effect on scalp hair. If anything you should compare the fur coat of mice to our body hair, but even that is a joke. All in all mice are a joke model for AGA.
Stumptail macaque balding parent and baby;

Stumptail macaque who actually still has luxurious hair on his head like a boss;

Leave a comment:
-
Can someone explain me why this is so expensive? I mean after all this is just a cream...Leave a comment:
-
Me too, but then I realized that I have no idea about the fine structure of hairless mouse skin and how does it look from a distance. This perhaps explains the images; and the fact that almost anything grows hair on mice.
Leave a comment:
-
Yup I was thinking the same, but we may be wrongSo i just went back and looked at that photo of the 3 mice from this experiment. Look at it again
Does anyone else think it looks like the mice have been shaved? I mean, it looks like they have hair, but its trimmed very very short. If these mice had anything that resembled MPB, wouldnt they be slick bald on their bodies??
But they are not slick bald at all. They still look like they are covered in short fuzzy hairLeave a comment:
-
Chill out there buddy...How the f can anybody be negative about her work and what her team has accomplished?! They literally just cured hair loss, all types. I feel really good about this, praying human trials go as smooth as it did on mice.
Signing off this worthless forum until my hair line is restored. Love you guys, keep the faith.Leave a comment:
-
So i just went back and looked at that photo of the 3 mice from this experiment. Look at it again
Does anyone else think it looks like the mice have been shaved? I mean, it looks like they have hair, but its trimmed very very short. If these mice had anything that resembled MPB, wouldnt they be slick bald on their bodies??
But they are not slick bald at all. They still look like they are covered in short fuzzy hairLeave a comment:
-
They've had tentatively good results for AA. There is practically no evidence thus far that this drug will work for AGA. The evidence even suggests that it won't, since AGA is not thought to be an autoimmune disease. There's room to be hopeful, that's about it.How the f can anybody be negative about her work and what her team has accomplished?! They literally just cured hair loss, all types. I feel really good about this, praying human trials go as smooth as it did on mice.
Signing off this worthless forum until my hair line is restored. Love you guys, keep the faith.
I agree that someone with a lot of money and guts should try to get their hands on this and see if it works.Leave a comment:
-
How the f can anybody be negative about her work and what her team has accomplished?! They literally just cured hair loss, all types. I feel really good about this, praying human trials go as smooth as it did on mice.
Signing off this worthless forum until my hair line is restored. Love you guys, keep the faith.Leave a comment:
-
-
It would be so cool if she throws her wig during congress speech and shows us her new full head of hair
Leave a comment:
-
Nah, it was a rant and not a cry. We're simply bored from all of the good news from the mouse world... mice schmice.. time to make research the bold way - self experimentation or doing cheaper off-shore testing!
Plus the side of ethics.. I never get worked up when somebody from the medical sciences says "Oh, the chemical XY grew hair on mice" - I get worked up when I see the naive people posting threads about potentially completely useless technologies .. it's not the first time this happenedLeave a comment:
-
Obviously I can't speak on her behalf. That is a damn good question.
I'm pretty sure her email box is always full of dudes like us and I would be willing to bet some of it is obnoxious
I doubt she'll ever reply to anyone.
Fact is it HAS worked in humans (that guy from last year) and it HAS worked in mice.
I'm still in the dark just as much as you or anyone elseLeave a comment:
-
This is so retarded... a lot of blah blah blah from Cristiano (horrible wig) who's too eager to jump in front of the camera and share "amazing" news.
I mean this is almost the same situation as with the battery industry..I have been reading press releases about amazing new battery technologies since the late 90's and it's 2015 and all of that breakthrough crap never materialized.
I think we should mail bomb every goddamn researcher who shamelessly hypes his/her lousy research paper that centers around inducing hairgrowth on mice with pharmaceutical means with the implication to MPB, AA and other hair related human ailments.
I mean fine great, do you research but stop hyping it so much and stop making any connections between human and mice hair! It's simply is unethical!!!
Wanna know when Cristiano has a cure in her hands?... when her wig will dissapear!
Wah, wah, wah, me cry like big baby over hair loss. Me be rude to scientist who tries to cure my hair loss because I am a big crybaby. Wah, wah, wah.Leave a comment:
)
Leave a comment: