View Full Version : Dr DeYarman Hair Transplant San Diego/27 year old patient/3104 follicular units

Dr James DeYarman
05-15-2009, 05:27 PM
This 27 year old man had 3104 follicular units transplanted in the front half of his head. These are his results at 8 months. The patient is very pleased and is not on Propecia.

05-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Great Work.... I wished I would have seen you when I was 27.......

05-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Great result doc.
Very natural.
Is there any reason the patient isn`t taking any meds?
Thanks bm.

Dr James DeYarman
05-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Sorry for not getting back sooner. The patient had tried Propecia in the past and had side affects. He has elected not use any meds at this time. Thanks for your interest.
Dr DeYarman

05-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Doctor DeYarman:

This is an absolutely phenomenal result!! WOW!!

Out of curiosity, do you have any sense as to the yield rate that this patient realized? Of the 3104 grafts transplanted, how many grew? Also out of curiosity, do you have any sense of the amount of transection that may have occurred during this patient's surgery?

He must be one happy dude!

Dr James DeYarman
05-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Tee Jay
Thanks for the compliment. I will pass this on to the patient. These kind words will boost his self esteem as patients want to hear positive remarks and not cretinism.
I donít know the yield as there are not areas of poor growth.
In reference to your question on transaction are you referring to the grafts transplanted or the hair that was in the area that I transplanted?
Thanks for your questions.
Dr DeYarman

06-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Doctor DeYarman:

Thank you for your time and generosity in answering my questions. The hair growth on this patient looks great, as does the hairline design, density, and naturalness. I realize the yield on this patient is not known, but do you have any sense as to the yield rates that are realized in your surgeries? Can you please comment on the steps you take to assure high % yield rates?

Also, as it relates to transection, thank you for pointing out there are 2 areas of concern -- the donor area as well as the recipient area. Can you please also comment on steps you take you minimize transection overall?

I ask these questions because I understand in hair transplants that a man's donor area is all he has. So, minimizing transection and maximizing yield are 2 very important elements, as I understand it. It seems you have done an awesome job here!!!

Thank you again

Dr James DeYarman
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Graft preparation starts in the removal of the strip. The steps I use are as follows:
Tumescence of the donor tissue with saline is first done to elevate the donor tissue away from the nerves and blood vessels.
Under magnification an incision is made in two steps. First the incision line is scored thru the epidermis and then with traction on the superior border a second incision to a controlled depth to avoid vascular damage is preformed and the traction helps to separate the hair follicles so to avoid damage to the hair.
The tissue is then placed in cold saline and then divided into 2 centimeter sections under magnification.
Each section is then slivered into one millimeter strips and then divided into the follicular units for transplanting.
The recipient sites are created using the lateral technique. A surgical blade is created to match the size of the graft to be inserted.
I create a one centimeter grid on the area to be transplanted and transplant from 40 to 60 grafts per centimeter.
The grafts are stored in saline solution the entire procedure. We even use holding cups that attach to our finger so the grafts do not dry out. All my techs are monitored thru the entire procedure.
You try and avoid any hairs in the area you transplant but I think it is very difficult to destroy hair follicles in a hair transplant. The reason I say this is in removing hair from plugs that were transplanted several years ago often times in this procedure it is very difficult to remove all the hairs.
There have been many studies done in the past on transecting hairs and even with deliberate damage to a hair follicle, the hair still grew.
Hair loss in a hair transplanted area is more likely from shock to the area then actual surgical damage to the hair follicle.
Once again thanks for the kind words
Dr DeYarman