View Full Version : 13 and balding?

03-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Hello, I'm Eyrie.

In the last month, I have starting balding VERY rapidly. There is one very large bald spot on the back of my head, that seems to spread, and several other, smaller spots around the back and top of my head. I think it is fair to say I lose much more hair than an average person should at my age. It falls out during the day, onto my shoulders, arms, and especially the back. At night, I wake up and find my pillow blanketed with hair.

I went to see a doctor, and he said it was not a male-pattern baldness, and prescribed a steroid cream, but it has had no noticeable effects so far.

So, I guess the question I want to pose is, is there anything I can do to stop and maybe grow back the hair that I lost so rapidly?

03-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Maybe you need to be referred to a specialist. Did the doctor explain what is going on and why steroid cream might help?

03-11-2012, 11:15 AM
He said I may have Alopecia Areata. He never said why the cream may help, though.

03-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I think you should try to find a hair loss expert. Maybe a dermatologist would be a good call too.

There's some info here: linky (http://www.naaf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=just_diagnosed_intro)

03-12-2012, 04:06 PM
The good news is that alopecia areata is NOT the same as balding. It is a condition that you can treat and make it go away, where as male pattern baldness is a lifetime condition that always progresses. I don't know where you live, but there is a great doctor in Florida named Dr. Greco who has had a lot of success treating alopecia areata with a natural remedy called "PRP." Here is a link to his site:


Dr. Greco is not the only doctor who performs PRP treatments, so you can probably find someone close to where you live who can help you. Good luck to you.

03-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah man, it doesn't sound like MPB, patchy loss all over the scalp does sound like Alopecia Areata, start doing your research by focusing on AA forums and find out who the reputable doctors are.