View Full Version : A New Instrument for FUE

Dr. Feller
03-29-2009, 06:38 PM
The Introduction of a New FUE Instrument
By Dr. Alan S. Feller

I would like to announce the unveiling of a new tool designed specifically for the performance of Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) surgery. It is my hope that every doctor already performing FUE surgery, or those who would simply like to start offering this wonderful procedure to their patients, will explore this new tool and perhaps add it to their own clinical practice.

Incorporated into its design are practical solutions to problems that have plagued the FUE industry since it’s introduction to the Western Hemisphere in 2001. Deleterious forces resulting in graft damage during FUE procedures such as: Torsion, Traction, Compression, Overheating, and Desiccation are addressed and minimized using this new instrument like none other.

This tool also offers the unique combination of LOWERING operator skill level requirements while actually RAISING the quality of each and every extraction. This translates to faster “ramp-up” times for new doctors interested in adding FUE Hair Transplant surgery to their practices; as well as making for easy and near seamless integration into clinics that already offer FUE to their patients.

This device allows not only for greater quality of extraction, but greater speed as well. Much greater. And all without any extra risk to the grafts themselves. The same cannot be said of other FUE tools on the market.

All these unique benefits result in far less fatigue for the doctors, technicians, and patients. It’s important not to forget this all important (but often ignored) human factor because in the end any “work product” will only be as good as the vitality, enthusiasm, and confidence possessed by the doctor and team at the time of the procedure.

The obvious purpose of the tool is to facilitate the FUE procedure for practitioners; but that is only part of a far greater strategy: the sparking of a new and legitimate industry that’s inclusive of ALL practitioners-novice and veteran alike.

The bigger picture is to elevate the current “cottage industry” status of FUE to a more mainstream role in hair transplantation; and to forever strip away the mystery, hype, and secrecy with which it has been unnecessarily surrounded by since it’s inception.

All clinics are welcome to this tool. I will not veil it in secrecy nor will I falsely claim it as the “magic wand” of FUE. As a veteran FUE practitioner I could claim this device solely for my own HT clinics and advertise it as such to gain a competitive edge.

However, for this field to grow, the credibility and exposure of the FUE technique must increase, and I can think of no better way to achieve this than offering a device that makes it easier for hundreds or thousands of other doctors to get into the FUE field themselves. Once they get a taste of the success I’ve had with FUE over the past 7 years, a greater number of doctors will join the FUE ranks. More successful FUE practitioners means greater numbers of satisfied patients, and thus a more popular procedure with ever increasing demand. Everyone wins.

My company, Advanced FUE Tools, Inc. is not just some name I slapped on the door of my current HT practice clinics just to sell a few tools. Rather, it is a well supported and financed group of businessmen, master-machinists, draftsmen, technicians, problem-solvers, thinkers, and attorneys, who have dedicated themselves to the development of this product for years. Like an actual FUE procedure, TEAMWORK is what made this device not only a reality, but a clinically practical and useful one at that.

I’ve used this tool, or fundamental aspects of it, through various generations of such devices for just about every FUE procedure that I’ve posted on the web since 2003. This means it has been used and tested for years.

Each component of this device taken in-and-of itself separately, or combined as one device, has a proven “real-world” track record. This established pedigree was something I insisted on for years before going public with it. Now is the time for this tool to join the pantheon of practical medical devices that helped form and shape hair transplantation into the enormously successful industry it has become.

I have avoided lengthy technical detail in this write-up as I felt it went beyond the scope of an introduction. Doctors may of course contact me directly if they have any specific questions or concerns.

I will be offering much more information and multi-media about the device in the near future, but wanted to introduce not only the device, but some of the thought and philosophy that made the design and production of this new FUE instrument a reality.

All questions and comments are welcome.

Dr. Alan S. Feller
Feller Medical, PC
Great Neck, NY

03-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Looks very high-tech Dr. Feller. So how did you solve the problem of insulating the grafts?

03-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Hummm I don't know much about any of this high tech stuff, but I HAVE to say that is one snazzy looking sleek instrument. From purely aesthetics that design is off DA HOOK.!

03-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Looks like a big exacto knife with a cylinder grip that holds round blades. Nice if it works.

03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
I think Payday asked a good question. What makes this different then the NeoGraft when it comes to heating the grafts or cooking like you pointed out. How much does the tool weigh, it looks very sturdy?

Dr. Feller
03-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the comments and responses.

There is no need to insulate a graft if no significant heat is produced in the first place. That was my goal, and that's what this tool accomplishes. The problem with other FUE tools is that they create more problems than they solve. This tool, however, serves only to facilitate FUE procedures with no downsides at all.

Excellent question.
Here's how it's different: IT ACTUALLY WORKS!
I guess you wanted a more detailed explanation, huh?! OK, here goes:

As you all know I have spent the past few years warning about the three detrimental forces of FUE
1. Torsion
2. Traction
3. Compression

These forces are unique to MANUAL FUE procedures. To reduce these, I designed the Feller manual punch which reduces the friction that inevitably builds up between the inside of the punch wall, and the outside of the target graft. That invention took care of "Torsion" the first detrimental force.

To decrease the second and third forces, "Traction" and "compression", I invented the method of "Perforation". This technique, already described by me in the leading Text on Hair Transplantation, decreases the amount of pulling necessary to free the graft, and in doing so, decreases the amount of squeezing the technician must exert to keep ahold of the graft.

But all that is old news. I've written about it before.

Enter Motorized punches.
In an effort to decrease fatigue and speed up surgical procedures some doctors have cleverly attached punches to hobby rotor-tools. The problem here is that they typically spin at 7,000 rpm, which creates a teriffic amount friction and torsion-both very harmful to the target grafts.

To reduce friction, we designed this tool to oscillate through a very short arc. By calculations, this in and of itself reduces friction by 75% compared to continuous spinners like the Neograft machine.

Now, add to this unique motorized tool a Feller punch whose specific design is to reduce friction and you have an even LOWER friction creating combination the likes of which the FUE world has not yet seen.

It is through the combination of powerful oscillation through a small arc, along with a Feller punch, that reduces friction and thus heat build up and desiccation.

There are other oscillating motor tools on the market, but without the friction reducing Feller punch, they are not nearly as effective. Another problem with some of the other oscillating motorized punch tools is that they are not wireless-a major issue for both veteran and novice. Our tool is completely self containted and wireless.

Our motors are custom built and assembled specifically to stand up to the rigors of FUE transplant surgery. I know of no other motorized tool, oscillating or spinning, that have been built specifically for this field down to the gear and cog.

I will be putting some multi-media together to help explan the aspects of this wonderful little device and look forward to the participation of all who are interested in joining the discussion.

Dr. Feller

04-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions so thoroughly Dr. Feller.

Dr. Feller
04-04-2009, 01:51 PM
My pleasure Amadeus.

My goal is to not only unveil a new instrument for FUE, but to finally open up the industry to the general public as well. It's time they got a fix on what's real, and what's not in the area of FUE. Once the advantages and disadvantages of this procedure become commonly known, it will grow, mature, and take its rightful place among beneficial HT procedures.

-Dr. F

Dr. Feller
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Video of new Motorized FUE Instrument in action:

04-30-2009, 10:48 AM
The video looks interesting , but you really canít tell whatís going on. And when you say minimizes torsion, does that mean that it is not eliminated and can the grafts still be damaged?

Dr. Feller
05-01-2009, 06:04 AM
No technique or tool delivers 100% success, so of course grafts or even parts of grafts can get damaged in the process of removal; however, this tool signficiantly reduces the amount of damage. Torsion is reduced specifically through two mechanisms:
1. The first is the unique design and geometry of the punch. It has been manufactured to reduce the adhesion between the target FUE graft and the inside wall of the punch. Less contact means less twisting of the graft inside the punch as it is turned.

2. The second is the motion of the motorized tool. Rather than spinning, it oscillates back and forth so there is no continuous twisting which willl allow torque to build up.

There are several doctors out there producing good and consistent results and they should continue doing their own brand of FUE since that's what they are comfortable with. However, they owe it to themselves and their patients to give this tool a try. At the very least it will reduce the strain they must endure during the larger FUE procedures.

Dr. Feller

05-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Makes sense, thanks Dr. Feller!

05-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi Dr. Feller,
Any plans on using your new fue tool + the prp you will be offering at the end of the summer with BHT ?
Maybe the new tool which would minimize graft damage along with the growth factor infusion from prp would make bht viable?
I created a thread on the subject http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=885 and Dr. cooley who uses prp in his practice thought it might be worthwhile.
I e-mailed you about this through spex but didnt recevie a follow up to he original response.

Dr. Feller
05-03-2009, 08:32 AM
It's certainly worth a try.

05-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Dr. F, when can I come in for PRP?:)

Dr. Feller
05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Call Marcia at the office next week and she will put you on our list. We will be offering PRP no later than June 15, perhaps sooner.

05-03-2009, 06:11 PM
It's certainly worth a try.

Would you be interested in trying it? If you were , how much would you charge for the prp and bht per graft?

Dr. Feller
05-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm not interested in doing bht/prp in the near future so I'll have to defer the cost questions until that time.

But when I finally do find the time to do it, I would probably do a prp treatment in the bht donor area and scalp recipient area about 2 weeks before the procedure just to give the involved sites a "kick".

The time for bht/PRP is coming, but not just yet. Let's see what this new material can do first.

Dr. Glenn Charles
05-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I called Dr Feller yesterday to ask how I could try out one of these new automated FUE instruments. He was in a consultation, but kindly returned my call within an hour. He said he would be glad to send one out right away for me to try. It is nice to see colleagues that are genuinely interested in sharing potential new technology with other physicians. Believing that the field of Hair Restoration Surgery would be much better off if all the physicians where doing good work, and that is the physicians that are still performing outdated,no attention to detail. take no pride procedures that is hurting this field of medicine.

05-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Will this eventually make FUE less expensive?

05-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Will this eventually make FUE less expensive?

Hopefully it will. It does appear that the oscillating function of the tool will help to eliminate the torsion (twisting force pressure) placed on the graft during the extraction process. Ideally the tool was developed and is being used more for the purpose of minimizing the potential damage to the FUE grafts, but at the same time Dr. Feller's original post confrimed the speed being increased in the extraction process so it would seem logical for the price to be lowered.

Dr. Feller, is this a tool you developed by yourself and then patented? You mentioned a team of technicians, thinkers, lawyers, etc. Did any other docotors have any input or made any contributions to it? Have you or will you be demonstrating it at any of the upcoming conferences?

How many FUE cases have you used it on?

Dr. Feller
05-16-2009, 08:59 AM
FUE is more "skill and art" than "assembly line science", which is why the price is not likely to drop signficantly anytime soon.

Unlike many other areas of business and manufacture, FUE does NOT lend itself to economies of scale. That is, doing more doesn't mean the cost of production will drop. The last FUE graft in a 1500 graft case cost just the same as the first. In fact, it costs MORE in terms of value because the team is already tiring by the end of the case and has to work more to get it. This is the reality for EVERY clinic performing FUE today.

Even with my new FUE instrument, I don't really see how the price could be dropped significantly.

Yes, I did design and patent the tool myself-at least to a point. After that I had to contract with professionals to make it into the precision instrument it is today and to build a business around it. Since I am in the business of HT, I was not interested in getting into the surgical instrument production business, so I contracted with someone who was. From there, he found all the seasoned professionals necessary to build the infra-structure of the company.

To date several well known HT doctors have used and commented very positively on the instrument including:
Dr. Scott Alexander- Arizona
Dr. Jean Devroye-Belgium
Dr. Steven Gabel- Oregon
Dr. Thomas Law- New York
Dr. William Lindsey-Virginia
Dr. Ron Shapiro- Minisota

Dr. Shapiro has generously offered to demonstrate the use of this new tool at the European HT meeting in Lisbon which I believe takes place in a few weeks.

Several other doctors not yet in the hair transplant business have also visited and placed orders for this new FUE instrument. In time I suspect this instrument will become the standard in motorized assisted FUE surgery.

My company will have a booth at the Amsterdam ISHRS scientific meeting in July.

-Dr. F

Dr. Feller
05-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Here is a simple animation GIF I had made to illustrate the use of this new tool along with our "Perforation" technique. As the animation shows, the use of perforation reduces the amount of traction necessary to free the FUE graft from the lower portion of the dermis.

It is this technique, along with our new motorized FUE instrument, that makes the difference between giving up on FUE or incorporating it into ones practice. I encourage all HT doctors who've tried FUE, but marginalized it due to difficulties in performing it, to view this simple animation and give FUE another try. If it works for me, it WILL for you and your practice too.

05-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Very cool Dr. Feller ... brilliant I might add, too. Your combination of engineering knowledge along with medicine seems to have helped create an excellent FUE tool that is aimed towards excellence in patient results.

Dr. Feller
05-25-2009, 07:45 PM
That is my goal. Thanks TJ
-Dr. F

Mr. 4000
07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I bet you can't carry that thing on an airplane.

Dr. Feller
07-10-2009, 04:33 AM
In fact I'm carrying several them on a plane in 2 weeks.

Mr. 4000
07-10-2009, 08:13 AM
In fact I'm carrying several them on a plane in 2 weeks.

be careful Doc! I don't want to see you in a jumpsuit someday at the DOC. (no pun)

08-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Hello Doctor Feller
the instrument seems to be useful in FUE operations
but there is no reference or tractable sites to buy the instrument

Could you please notify me where could I purchase that product?

10-17-2009, 08:56 AM
[报价=博士费勒; 3454]电动肥料利用率的新仪器视频在行动:

[网址] http://www.fellermedicaldata.com/video/FUE/FUE-OnlineDemo.wmv [/网址] [/报价]

10-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Interesting. I take it the perforation technique you mention is the insertion of the needle in the animation. It looks like it must make three trips into the graft after the graft is 'drilled' out and lifted, and that this frees the graft from the bottom where it is still attached. (That's what it looks like).

Couldn't a FUE tool incorporate a blade which cuts underneath the graft after cutting the channel around it, and do all of this in one motion, perhaps extracting it too? Or is that just too complicated for such a small tool and likely to lead to grafts becoming stuck in the nib?

10-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Interesting. I take it the perforation technique you mention is the insertion of the needle in the animation. It looks like it must make three trips into the graft after the graft is 'drilled' out and lifted, and that this frees the graft from the bottom where it is still attached. (That's what it looks like).

Couldn't a FUE tool incorporate a blade which cuts underneath the graft after cutting the channel around it, and do all of this in one motion, perhaps extracting it too? Or is that just too complicated for such a small tool and likely to lead to grafts becoming stuck in the nib?

You might want to direct these questions to Dr. Feller directly.

Dr. Feller
10-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Hello Matt,
I actually hold two patents that incorporate perforation with scoring into one tool. However, it is an engineering pain to build and it's just easier to use a cheap hypodermic needle. It takes no extra time and reduces the traction force on the graft significantly.

Take care,
Dr. Feller