View Full Version : Hair loss professional?

02-10-2012, 01:19 PM
I want to see a professional in order to see if my hair is in the process of miniaturization or just thinning a bit. I also want to discuss getting a prescription to finasteride.

Should I go see a regular dermatologist in my area (will he look at my hair through a microscope and take it seriously?) or should I go to a Bosley location for a free consultation? I'm skeptical about the latter because I think they're more concerned with getting a new patient rather than giving honest advice. But what do you all think?

Thanks for your help.

02-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I'd visit a hair specialist if I were You. Dermatologists have a wider general but more narrow knowledge and experience regarding hair loss. Sadly, doctors these days are motivated by money 1st, patient 2nd.. beware of those trying to sell You anything of offer quick fix.

I myself have given up on finasteride attempt.. because of the following facts:
1.) Finasteride can cause serious sexual side effects - even permanent ones ! FDA has recently upgraded their labels and doctors have to explain the seriousness of risks clearly.
2.) Finasteride does not work with all people.
3.) Finasteride takes lifetime usage + costs.

02-13-2012, 10:23 AM
So what kind of hair specialists do you recommend? I had a free consultation at Bosley about three years ago, I was 19 and nothing wrong with my hair whatsoever; I was just going to talk about the future. The "expert" I spoke with really didn't sound too knowledgeable, and told me that if I was concerned about hair loss I should either purchase his laser comb for $500, or start on Rogaine; he had a rogaine set he could sell me for something like $450. I was a poor 19 year old college student. It was pretty ridiculous and walked away thinking he was just in it for the money.

I live in the Saint Louis area; would you really advise me to go seek information about finasteride/miniaturization at Hans Weimann or Bosley or something over an actual certified dermatologist?

And Stressed, did finasteride not work for you and/or give you (permanent) side effects?

Tracy C
02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
...or should I go to a Bosley location for a free consultation?

Don't go to Bosley or any other chain clinic. Go to a doctor who is an IAHRS member. Here is a link to help you find one.


Also, please don't fall victim to the heavy fear mongering over Finasteride that is going on now a days. Talk to the doctor about it and get the real facts.

You can find the most truthful information about treating hair loss at this link.


If you get the chance, listen in an participate in The Bald Truth radio talk show on Sunday evenings at 8:00pm EST.


02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Thank you Tracy for your help.

I've contacted a doctor who is an IAHRS member and I have an appointment for tomorrow.

What should I ask of him? Ask him to perform a miniaturization test on my scalp, or is there another procedure that should be performed in order to test for mpb? Am I over thinking this? I don't want to go in, him give me an ambiguous answer, and have that be that. I want as much information as he can give me about my situation.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Tracy C
02-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi Geoffrey,

If you think you might be nervous, write down the questions you want to ask and take them with you. Also, try your best to make an account of all your blood relatives from both sides of your family who have suffered hair loss.

Good luck,


02-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Is it safe to assume that as an IAHRS member he'll be able to perform a miniaturization test tomorrow? Is there something else he will be able to do in order to get the best picture as to whether or not I'm in the beginning stages of mpb?