View Full Version : Which medicine to choose?

03-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone,

Ok, so I haven't been around here in a bit. Unemployment will do that to a guy. But here i am *ahem* "working" again,... so now that I have a small bit of extra cash, I have decided to start taking a hair loss med.

SO, I was looking for suggestions..? Propecia? Proscar? Avodart? Not worried about the money, just want maximum benefits.

Any help would be appreciated.


03-19-2009, 02:36 PM
you could get a script for proscar and quarter it, but if money is not an issue id start with propecia. that's what i take. if you dont see results with propecia you could always up your dose. and if that doesnt work you could give avodart a try.

good luck...

03-20-2009, 12:57 AM
TheBig 3

The big 3 to beat DHT, THE CAUSE OF HAIRLOSS!

- Propecia ( Finasteride ), Minoxidil and Nizoral

Here is the thing you need to make sure you understand when it comes to MPB:

The main known factor that causes hairloss is DHT. To form DHT your body's 5a-reductase enzyme converts free roaming testosterone DHT inside the hair cell follicle. The DHT then binds to the hair cell receptor and causes it to atrophy or shrink. Eventually your hair follicle stops producing hair and you lose that follicle.

There are two types of the 5ar enzyme; Type I and Type II. Type II 5ar seems to be the main culprit in MPB as the type II enzyme is present in the hair follicles. Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of Type II 5ar inhibitor that reduces DHT produced by the type II 5ar by 85%-90% and reduces the overall DHT blood serum levels by 65%.

As you can see Finasteride (PROPECIA ) is extremely useful as a treatment for MPB as it directly attacks the problem. Nizoral shampoo is thought to help "dull" the androgen receptors in the scalp which the DHT binds to. Together they provide a synergetic effect.

Minoxidil is a hair stimulant. It is the only FDA proven hair stimulant on the market. However stimulating hair and protecting hair from further damage are two separate actions

Minoxidil will artificially augment your hair while you use the compound but it does NOT have any know effect on 5ar or the androgen receptors in the scalp.

The best way to attack MPB is to:

1. Stop further damage to your hair via DHT. You can accomplish this best by using Finasteride to inhibit the 5ar enzyme and Nizoral to "dull" the androgen receptors.

2. **If** further thickening/regrowth is needed after the hair damaging DHT androgen is reduced then minoxidil can be used to further augment your existing hairs and perhaps even stimulant some dormant hair follicles to resume growing.

Use all these 3 products together -

1. Minoxidil 2 x a day - once in the am and once in the pm
2. Finesteride (propecia/proscar) 1mg per day
3. Nizoral 2 x a weeks (no more) - will dry your scalp out!

03-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Propecia is the best proven way to prevent further loss. If for some reason your not a responder theres Dutasteride/Avodart but i recommend you start off with Propecia/proscar and see how you repond.


Dutasteride and finasteride (PROPECIA) are both 5-alpha-reductase (5AR) inhibitors. Both treatments work by inhibiting 5AR, the enzyme responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is the primary androgen in the prostate. It is a primary factor in the development and progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and other prostate diseases and is also a major cause of hair loss.

.5mg - 2.5mg of Dutasteride provides better results in hair maintenance/regrowth as opposed to Finasteride

However, the benefit likely comes from its higher inhibition of type II 5ar not its suppression of type I 5ar. Merck tested a specific type I 5ar inhibitor called "MK386" in a human trial and found it had no effect on balding.

Jumping on the Dutasteride bandwagon before the Finasteride bandwagon is not a good idea. For most men Finasteride is enough to halt and even reverse MPB... In the off-chance your body becomes tolerant of Finasteride (over the years) you always have Dutasteride to fall back on...

Side-effects on Dutasteride may be more common, any such sides would last longer as the half-life of Dutasteride is much longer then Finasteride, and unlike type II 5ar type I 5ar *is* present in brain tissue. Finally, keep in mind that DHT is not an evil androgen that just causes hairloss. Various bodily functions benefit from DHT. Finasteride inhibits 65% overall DHT levels leaving 35% for your body to use (most of that 35% is from the type I 5ar that isnt a big factor in hairloss). Dutasteride inhibits 90% or more overall DHT levels leaving 10% or less for your body...

Basically, use Finasteride **first** and only resort to Dutasteride if you must - This is just my opinion

03-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Proscar is (one of) the generic names for Propecia (finasteride), correct?

I DO want/feel I need regrowth on crown. A sunburned head on anyone is no fun, especially a fair skinned irishman. I took Propecia once for about a week and felt it made my stomach upset. HOWEVER, I was also taking some other medication at the time that may have also been the culprit, so I am willing to give it another shot.

How long should I take a medication to evaluate its side effects (sexual or otherwise)? It is my understanding that reducing or stopping loss can take months, and regrowth can take up to a year, but what about initial side effects that may subside or go away entirely?