View Full Version : How bad is my hair loss?

07-11-2011, 07:40 AM

New to the forum and hair loss communities in general. I have attached some pictures of my current hair situation. I am looking for some feedback as I don't know how bad my hair loss is right not. I now I am getting progressively thinner, but I don't know what stage (norwood) I am at yet. I have provided pictures below for feedback.

I have bever taken any products to halt or attempt to regrow my hair such as propecia or rogaine. I was going to start taking propecia but I had to get a prescription from my doctor and he refused to give me it as he said that these pills were bad for you and unproven to work. I would get a FUE HT but I was told I would have to take propecia and remain on it for life or else transplant would look stupid. I am also looking for recommendations on concealers and if they would benefit me at this stage.

07-11-2011, 09:36 AM
you should start propecia and rogaine or atleast one of the two pretty soon before its too late. The meds work best at keeping and improving the hair you have not regrowth. So you want to start while you still have hair

07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I'd say you were an NW2 at the hair line with diffused thinning all over the top. Not good im afraid, you need to start treatments asap.

07-11-2011, 09:52 AM

I wanted to take propecia but my GP basically rubbished the pills and said they were bad for my health and didn't work and wouldn't give me a prescription. Is there any places or websites I can get these without a prescription. I am in the UK?

I am also intrested in using a concealer to try and cover up my hair loss as it stands. Anyone have any recommendations? I have heard dermtech(?) is the best.

07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
go to a dermatologist or hairloss doctor to get propecia, in the meantime you can go to your local pharmacy and pick up rogaine foam for like 12 bucks

07-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi Alfie

All of these replies have useful information, so hope they help. I am from the Uk also so perhaps I can give some specific help. I could outline four courses of action

1. Go to Belgravia Centre London.

I was a client for over ten years. They will prescribe Propecia, Minoxidil and Laser therapy. They will charge you about 1200-1400 per year to do it. Whilst they actually offer a fair treatment it is for those who are prepared to be ripped off. You can get all your meds for far cheaper. Also, they may entice you into forking out by a varity of devious methods - approach with caution.

2. Boots Hair Retention Programme.

This is a fair service. You get regular check ups and Propecia for about 360 a year which is very competetive. You will have to get your own Minoxidil. I would go with the 5% if you choose anything as it is the easiest to apply and most sophisticated to aply

3. Contact Spex.


This guy is a real gent and will help as much as he can. He is a rep of Dr Feller and now an author. He will not try to sell you anything but thanks to him I now get quality generis finasteride (Finpecia) for 189 per year. He also put me on to Rogaine foam. Do a search and check out his rep on the forums and in general.

4. Book an appointment with Farjo Medical


Bessam Farjo is the only IAHRS doctor in the Uk. He can prescribe Propecia and offer other services.

As they guys have pointed out, you are a diffuse thinner and need to act now if you want to stop the progession. There is no guarantee but the odds are good at you being helped. The information I gave you took me ten years to get to in the end. I wish you the very best of luck

07-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies, especially Alex. I am going to look in to the Boots restoration program. I am also going to go and see a dermatoligist as I have been told on the forums I am diffuse thinner and I read that this can be caused by stress or medical conditions. I want to make sure I am suffering from MPB before I start any treatment programs.

Can anyone recommend any good dermatoligists in the Glasgow area who would be able to diagnose my problem?

07-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi Alfie

I don't have any info on local derms but to be honest I imagine they all offer a standard service. Whilst there may be underlying issues that may be contributing to the condition, I would bet that you have classic mpb. As the guys have pointed out, this is diffuse in nature. The Norwood scale does'nt really help in this instance as it won't reflect your current state. Time is of the essence so if you are going to take action then you need to do it now. As I mentioned, the Boots programme can prescribe Propecia and monitor your progress. It's not a bad start but they are pharmacists, not doctors. If you are worried about contributing factors, you need to see specialist. It's a 4hour train journey to Manchester for you, but Bessam Farjo is the best in the Uk. Do some research on him. Other than that, I believe Dr Ziering is now involved in some capacity with the Harley Street Clinic. Alternatively, if you are looking at something a little experimental then you have the Acell / Prp combo. Gary Hitzig is now offering this in the Uk I believe. Jury is out on this but it does show some promise. Bottom line, if you are serious about tackling this problem then you need to contact the best specialists. If you go to a standard derm then you may run the risk of being offered some sort of bogus herbal treatment. This will do little for you I'm afraid. Bite the bullet mate. You need to get off the forum now and speak to those in the know. All the guys have posted good advice but from here on in you will only recieve variation on a theme.

Crack on with your research ang the very best of luck. Let us know how you get on!