View Full Version : time to do something about it

01-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone. I'm 26 and my hair began receding 5-7 years ago. Till now I hadn't seriously considered any treatment. I'd heard of Rogaine, but felt uncomfortable taking medication that I'd have to keep taking for the foreseeable future. I'd also heard that if you stopped taking Rogaine, you might revert to having even less hair than you'd had before beginning the treatment. Anyway, this freaked me out. That said, I'm now ready to do something about it. I was more or less "okay" with the amount of hair loss I'd had till now, but it continues to recede, and... well... you know the rest. So I chanced upon the American Hair Loss Association's website through a web search and - wow - thanks for all the useful information. All on one website! The information was direct, to the point, and very helpful. Again - thank you!!!

I had a question... it seems from the website that the best course of action for me would be to see a doctor and very possibly go on medication - but what doctor? A dermatologist? Would a doctor specializing in hair loss and transplants be a better choice? How can I know that the doctor I visit for this initial consultation really knows the field and will provide an expert's assessment? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Take care and enjoy the Sunday!!!

01-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey Boris:

Congrats on finding this forum ... you're in the right place. Check out the IAHRS website (International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons) at www.iahrs.org. Find a doctor closest to you, and pay him or her a visit. These are doctors that not only specialize in treatments for hair loss and can assess you situation and provide a treatment regimen (which will most likely be Propecia), but they can also surgically restore your hair if you choose this more aggressive route. The IAHRS is Spencer's masterpiece, and their work is AMAZING.


01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I would go to on of the IAHRS doctor since they only deal with hair loss. They can check you out well and get you started on Propecia.
You can probably go to a dermatologist or a family doctor but they don't deal with hair loss every day.

02-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Teejay and Payday - thanks so much for your responses. I followed what you suggested and went to an IAHRS-accredited doctor in Manhattan. Although I haven't yet made any final decisions, I now know what the options are :) I'm very sorry it took me this long to respond. Unfortunately, my first login no longer worked, so I had to create a new one with a new email address. Hope the coming week is great for you guys.


02-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I hope everything goes well for you. Keep us updated.