View Full Version : Do I need to see an endocrinologist?

01-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Last March, I started having tingling, itchy, burning sensations in my feet when showering or exercising. I didn't think much about it until it started in my hands as well. I started having "hot flushes"(all over my body spreading into my scalp), and about 2 months later, I noticed that my hair was getting thinner. I had really thick, naturally curly hair and no one else noticed the thinning except me. Finally, in October my hairdresser said she noticed!! I have seen my GP, a dermatologist, a neurologist, and my GYN doctor. I have been tested for about everything, except hormone levels(which no one seems to want to do). I have had a scalp biopsy, which was inconclusive. I had no reduction in terminal hair follicles, focal miniaturization of some follicles(which could just be age related - I am 58), no fungus or infection, but a subtle chronic folliculitis. The report stated it may be difficult to exclude a telogen effluvium, but overall picture seems to correlate with androgenetic alopecia(2 sisters and 81 year old mom still have plenty of hair). I have probably lost 50 - 60% of my hair in the last 6 months. I feel I need to add a bit of history here. In January, I lost one of my very best friends unexpectedly to a massive stroke(she was only 42), one of my cats(3 Siamese that I dearly love) had serious health issues from March to June, I had surgery in June for an upper eyelid lift, and my mother had surgery in September and she had life threatening complications(which are now resolved). I teach in a "high risk" high school which is very stressful. I have had all types of blood tests and the only thing out of range was a high vitamin B-12(I take supplements), low iron saturation, and my iron and ferritin were on the low end of the normal scale. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that if I only had the hair loss, I would assume it was just that. However, that does not explain the hand, feet, and scalp tingling, burning, itching sensations. I really feel something is just out of whack, and perhaps it is time to see an endocrinologist and get all hormones checked out. My GYN doctor did put me on Activella to see if it would help(6 years after menopause). I have not had a period since age 52, so all of this is rather unusual. Please advise, and has anyone else had these same symptoms?

Thanks - Wanda