View Full Version : Propecia and Decreased Libido in Women??

12-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi girls, I am a 38 year old woman with mild androgenetic alopecia. I have been using minoxidil with acceptable results for the past 7 years, and Propecia for the last one year.

In the past few months, I have noticed a decrease in my sexual desire. We all know about the effect of Propecia on men, but I never read anywhere that finasteride did that to women too. Has any other woman experienced decreased libido with use of finasteride?

Hair or sex - that is the question :)

12-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Humm well I'm guessing it probably can have the same effect on women as well, though I don't really have a definitive answer to that question. I do however, have an answer for your last question...

Hair or Sex? Hair!!!

Ask a man and he'll surely give you a different response. :)

01-02-2009, 04:05 PM
HAIR!!!!! I think I could live without sex, but not without my hair . . . I think it is interesting that doctors are now prescribing Propecia for women. Did you have to have hormone tests first?

01-03-2009, 10:00 AM
My endo prescribed the Propecia and I was visting him with a full hormone test for my PCOS anyway... it appears that prescribing Propecia for women is not such a big deal (apart from the getting pregnant part).

01-03-2009, 06:08 PM
HAIR!!!!! I think I could live without sex, but not without my hair . . .

i've been living without sex for a while now:eek:

01-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah, me too. And it's not because of my Propecia. My game needs a little work. Okay, maybe alot. :)

01-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Rather have hair definitely. :) a good hormone doc could prescribe a little testosterone cream though to help out.

03-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Women who are or may potentially be pregnant must not use PROPECIA and should not handle crushed or broken PROPECIA tablets because the active ingredient may cause abnormalities of a male baby’s sex organs. If a woman who is pregnant comes into contact with the active ingredient in PROPECIA, a doctor should be consulted.
PROPECIA tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets are not broken or crushed.