View Full Version : Im new to all this and would like advice

09-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

I am 34 and have been thinning on top for a number of years. But it wasn't until recently when i was caught short in a rain shower that it became obvious to me how much my hair had fallen out on the crown (feeling rain hit my skin).
So next day i took some pictures with my webcam to see how bad the problem was. I was a little shocked and started to search for remedies. Well that bought me to this very informative website when i have read many stories that have given me hope.
I have had a relatively high hairline on my forehead but that's been there all my life and not so worried but my temples are looking a little receded now i look.
Baldness runs in both my parents family with the occasional relative having a fairly ok head of hair. I am also an active person who plays badminton 2-3 times a week and swims n runs an hour each week too.

I read a lot about propecia and Finasteride and would like to start with this regime along with Saw palmetto, but 1st i would like a to see if this is the right avenue for me with a little input from more experienced members.

Some pictures of the loss

The more i reead the more propecia and Finasteride route is the right one but i think i need that little bit of confidence to be gained from input of experienced members.

I hope i have caught this in time to reverse ???


09-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Oh and a question on where to buy propecia or Finasteride... i have trawled the interweb and found a few sites but there are massive price differences between some.

Thanks again

09-04-2010, 02:00 PM
you've got most of your hair. finasteride is the place to start. i wouldn't waste my money on saw palmetto. you can get a script from a doctor for propecia. i don't know where to get it online, though.

09-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Finasteride should help. Talk to your doctor about it. There's no way to know if the stuff you buy online is real or not. Why take a chance?

09-04-2010, 05:13 PM
You mean a normal GP doctor ?
I cant see my doctor perscribing fini as its only for enlarged prostates.
I have an appointment with the gp for another reason... i'll have to bring this up too.

Thanks for trhe info.

09-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Your normal GP will likely prescribe Propecia. Proscar is the one for prostates, and you're right - you may have trouble getting it.

The only reason to take Proscar (vs Propecia) is that it's much less expensive. If you have good insurance, it doesn't really matter which you take. At the end of the day, it's 1mg of Finasteride going into your system.

Based on the countless stories I've read online, guys with hair like yours (similar to mine) tend to respond well to Finasteride treatment. It's also a good sign that you're 34 and have only experienced minimal loss.

Dr. Glenn Charles
09-05-2010, 01:59 PM
You may want to consider seeing a hair restoration physician. Not only will they be able to prescibe medication (Propecia), but will also be able to take proper photos and track your situation over time. By the way, from the photos its looks like you have really nice hair and only have a little thinning in the crown. Hopefully, the Propecia will improve the crown area and at the very least not let it get any worse.