View Full Version : Seriously how long do you wait for a transplant

08-08-2010, 06:58 PM
So many people say that no matter what your age if you are in your early stages of balding you potentially are not a candidate for a hair transplant

How many years after you first notice when you start to lose is deemed an appropriate time to have a hair transplant... Is it when you can see a pattern

I wonder if anyone else can determine or explain what is deemed aggressive baldness based on level of loss and time frames

08-08-2010, 11:03 PM
If the possible net loss is as great or greater then the possible net gain, then it is too early to consider having a hair transplant.

08-08-2010, 11:08 PM
That actually is a fantastic representation

However looking at the amount of transplants going on I dare say this isnt the case... Master plans that are created by Doctors surely indicate that net loss is always going to be more then gain over a certain period of time until the scale tips back up

Dr. Feller
08-09-2010, 05:19 PM
The main factor is not so much age as it how far receeded the hairline is. If a young man comes to me, even 18 years old, and has a massively receeded hairline as if he were 40 years old, then it is perfectly fine to start the HT processed, but ONLY with a very conservative hairline such that even if the patient lost the rest of the top of his hair that his transplants could stand on their own as a forelock tuft if it had to. An excellent example is the man in the video below. He is in his thirties, but if he had that hairloss level even at 18 I would do the same procedure on him.
He would also have to understand that he may infact be one of the few men who will lose even their donor area and that it is possible that even his HTs may thin out over time. If the chance at say 10 years of a hairline is worth the risk, then I say go for it.

08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
dr feller how is prp going?

Dr. Feller
08-09-2010, 06:18 PM
It's going rather well. Two recent returns allowed me to take photos and the differnce is obvious.
So far no negative reports. This month marks the one year mark of PRP I believe.

08-09-2010, 07:06 PM
dr feller,

how has worked regarding shock loss after a hair transplant?

Dr. Feller
08-10-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure I get the question. But my guess is that you are referring the use of PRP duirng hair transplant surgery. You may want to check, I beleive, with Dr. Cooley on that question. I believe he incorporates the two.

I do not use PRP for HT procedures as yields are so consistently high that it just doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

In particularly large megasessions, I'm a bit hesitant to remove sixty cc of blood on top of the normal blood loss from the surgery itself, but that's my own sense of caution. I require a minimum of two weeks after HT surgery to perform PRP.

To date, almost all of my PRP patients have reported decreased levels of shedding or outright arrest. No one has reported accelerated shedding or any other adverse effect just after administration (which was always my major concern). It is anecdotal, but many of these patients are hardcore skeptics and would have absolutely no problem telling me if the PRP failed completetly. The cosmetic improvements I've witnessed with my own eyes are compelling enough for me to continue offering PRP albeit very cautiously and not to everyone.

08-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Dr Feller,

Have any of your prp patients noticed an improvement in a pre-exisiting scalp condition (ie itchiness, inflammation, flakiness, ect.) they may have had? Dr. Greco commented in the original prp thread that prp has a ton of anti-inflammatory properties and I was wondering if by chance anyone commented on or you noticed this possibly helping treat that as well. Thanks!

Dr. Feller
08-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Excellent question.
And the answer is yes.
I had a patient come for intractable inflammation of the scalp that caused endless itching. He tried everything without success, including prescription medication.
We performed PRP on him about 6 months ago. He reported back to us about 2 weeks after we treated him that he had complete relief. With only one patient as a sample size I can't say conclusively that it was the reported anti-inflammatory effect of the PRP or just a placebo effect. But it's certainly encouraging.

08-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi Doctor Feller

Firstly thank you for being so accessible. It is amazing to have direct expertise on tap

Can I please ask a question regarding PRP. What do you see as its primary function in regards to treatment... Is it in your opinion a viable option for some patients as a preventative hair loss treatment that can be used in conjunction with the likes of Propecia and Rogaine...

08-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Dr. Feller, I would also like to know the answer to that above. Have any of your patients come in with less hair after starting prp treatment?