View Full Version : Is generic proscar just as good as the name brand

06-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Is generic proscar just as good as the name brand?......
Pharmacy said it was exactly the same formula but is it really?

06-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Has anyone started then stoped the treatment for 2 or so months and start to see thinning?

Dr. Glenn Charles
06-30-2010, 06:51 PM
If the generic Finasteride is coming from a reputable pharmacy it should have the same effects as name brand Propecia. I have had several patients over the years that where using Finasteride and stopped taking it because they thought it was not working. Shortly after they noticed an increase of thinning/shedding and most quickly started taking again. Often patients do not realize that the Finasteride was working until they discontinue using it.

06-30-2010, 11:01 PM
dr chalres did you get my pm on the HTN?

07-01-2010, 11:22 AM
It should be the same thing if the generic comes from a legit company. I would not trust generic from an Indian company since they are not regulated in the same way as U.S. companies.

07-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks Guys....

Dr Charles I have a question regarding shedding.......Ive been on proscar 2.5 Mg for about 8 years with good results. However every 6-8 months I stop it for a week or so to make my body adjust then get back on it again.

I never lost any ground.....About 6 months ago i was trying to have a baby and stopped taking it for about 2 months then got back on it again with the same dose......only this time was with generic

Over the past 4 months my hair has been rapidly thinning in areas that were once thicker.

I also went through a shed in the beginning along with once every 3-5 years but never like this...

What do you think?

07-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Has my body readjusted and am going through a shed as if I just started taking it?

Is 2 months long enough for this to happen?

Or has the meds just stop working.....The pharmacy im getting the script from is a reliable one from NY