View Full Version : On propecia 6 months and still losing hair

06-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I am 28 years old. About 2 years ago my hair line started to thin. Six months ago I started taking propecia. I know propecia is only FDA approved to treat hair loss on the crown of your head but my doctor recommenced I get on it. He also told me it should help slow my hair loss. Since I have started taking propecia my hair loss has been rapid and obvious. Has anyone else has this experience. Should i continue to take it or stop?

06-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Don't mean to freak you out, but I lost my hairline on Propecia for the first year. On minoxidil as well.

06-09-2010, 11:52 AM
I was already freaked out about my hair loss a while ago. I was losing it slowly i am just wondering can propecia cause more harm then good when it comes to preventing hair loss

06-09-2010, 01:11 PM
its doubtful that its not helping. you should take pictures every three months so u can check your progress. also where are u getting your propecia from?

06-09-2010, 01:16 PM
That sounds kind of scary. I just started taking Propecia three days ago.

06-09-2010, 04:05 PM
I buy it at CVS. I am 100 percent sure i am losing more hair. I have before and after photes. let me look for my photes i think i had them on here some place

06-10-2010, 12:22 AM
propecia only works in the crown on most people...it rarely works in the front

06-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Is propecia the only treatment you are on at the moment? It is important to mention these things...

08-19-2010, 07:30 PM
My hairloss started at my hairline about 4 years ago and I've been on propecia for about 2 and a half. It's has completely stopped my recession...knock on wood. But during the first few months I shed like hell. I suggest you keep taking it. If your not having any side effects I can't see it doing more harm than good. Good luck.

08-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Don't mean to freak you out, but I lost my hairline on Propecia for the first year.

For the first year? Did your hairline grow back after the end of that year?

08-20-2010, 12:07 AM
I have been on propecia exactly 9 months today. I shed like crazy the first 4-5 months and everybody told me new and stronger hair will grow back. That hair newer grew back.

When I compare pictures from 9 months ago I'm definitely worse off. My hairline is much worse. My crown was much better 9 months ago. I can still shed up to 40-50 hairs just by brushing my hair in the sink.

I don't know what to believe anymore. I'm too afraid to quit the thing because I have heard that will accelerate the hairloss. So many people can't just imagine things, maybe for some it not only does not work, it makes things worse ...

08-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Iím sorry to hear that Propecia has not worked out for you yet, but I have read of people who donít start to see positive results until after 12 months. Who knows, you might be one of these people? I hope everything starts getting better for you soon.