View Full Version : 21 y/o thinking about getting a buzz. been loosing since I was 16 PLEASE HELP!

10-13-2016, 09:30 AM
hey y'all, I joined this form today to ask my fellow balding brethren what they think a buzz would look like. I have really really been trying for over 5 years to find a hairstyle that looks good on me. I have been on fin for around 18 months and use nizoral a few times a week in the shower. Luckily my hairline is awesome and not going anywhere, however the rest of my hair is uniformly thin. Luckily in college i have been able to get away with wearing a hat almost anywhere i go, but now that I will be graduating in May, I think it might be time for me to just say screw it, regarding my hair, and get a buzz. I am SO TIRED of using powder and special gel every time I don't wear a hat. So my real question is, Do I have enough hair for a buzz cut, or will it make me look bald? Thank y'all, I really really appreciate any feedback y'all have.

10-14-2016, 11:21 PM

I'd recommend for now you begin taking Finasteride. I regret not using it sooner, but I was scared of the 5% chance of negative effect. Proud to say I'm part of the 95%. lol Was worth the risk. As far as the back bald spot you can start using Toppik. (GAME CHANGER)

Be sure to start researching now though and save up. Highly recommend FUE. It's that front patch that you're really gonna need to do something about. And no, don't buzz yet. It's not that bad yet. Enjoy another year of life my friend! No one else but you really notices yet ;-)

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi (https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/members/32071-Parsa-Mohebi-MD)

Born Oct ’89
Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09
Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:
HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016
Finasteride daily, since 2014
Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)

10-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Personally, I always think it's a good idea for all of us guys with MPB to at least consider giving a buzz cut a try before heading down the road to to combatting hair loss. It's often a long journey filled with multiple procedures, medication, and can be quite expensive, so you need to be aware of that before committing to it (should you ever decide to do that). If you're able to buzz your head and feel confident and you think it looks good, then you could save yourself a lot of stress down the road. So yeah, I definitely think it's worth giving a shot. Fortunately, you're able to wear a hat anyway should you buzz it and hate it, so you don't have much to lose.

If I were you, I would buzz it over the holidays when you're going to have a couple weeks off from school and see how you like it. If you don't, you can wear a hat until it starts growing back in and then consider other options then.
I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.