PDA

View Full Version : Is this balding or just how my hairline looks?

Dandrel
10-06-2016, 06:07 AM
What's up guys. I'm 23 years old and I've gotten a thought in my head which I cannot shake. Am I balding or am I not balding? I'm not really sure. My dad is bald, so is his brother and his dad. My uncle on my mothers side is not bald, nor was my grandfather even though he had what you would call a 'mature hairline'.

I have included photos, some taken with flash - some without. And one picture from 4 years ago.

http://i63.tinypic.com/i3i1ef.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/fcjn0y.jpg

Thanks.

thehatman
10-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Hi Dandrel you are balding! your crown is diffused and your hair look limp compared with the photo 4 years ago. you should put minoxidil 5% on your crown and start take Finastride 1mg to slow it down or even regrow.

Dandrel
10-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Hi Dandrel you are balding! your crown is diffused and your hair look limp compared with the photo 4 years ago. you should put minoxidil 5% on your crown and start take Finastride 1mg to slow it down or even regrow.

Hi! Thanks for your answer!

Are you sure? Note that my hair four years ago was longer. And that I have three swirls in my head. I recently (April this year) cut my hair to 3mm - to regrow. I have a picture of that as well. And then a picture of me when I was about six years old when you can see the way my hair looks - colourwise and with the swirls.

But I do think my hair quality has changed drastically within a year or so. Let me find some more pics.

Dandrel
10-06-2016, 08:51 AM
http://i67.tinypic.com/11ux1ep.jpg

Top one is a picture of my crown when I was six.

Middle one is from before I trimmed my hair, in April.

Bottom one is when I had trimmed my hair, in April.

thehatman
10-06-2016, 11:37 AM
The quality of your hair is diffused and are lacking that shine you use to have 4 years ago. If i where you i would start taking min and fin, they will be your best friends. GOOD LUCK

Dandrel
10-07-2016, 02:49 AM
The quality of your hair is diffused and are lacking that shine you use to have 4 years ago. If i where you i would start taking min and fin, they will be your best friends. GOOD LUCK

Hmm.

All right. What do you mean that it's diffused?

thehatman
10-07-2016, 04:54 AM
DRY, BRITTLE, THINNING, LIMP, UNEVEN, FLOATING ISLAND and so on is the look of some one diffusing, a diffused hair is a dying hair.
I know the truth hurts! trust me in the beginning it's hard to accept whats really going on. My advice start your meds now!

Dandrel
10-07-2016, 05:00 AM
DRY, BRITTLE, THINNING, LIMP, UNEVEN, FLOATING ISLAND and so on is the look of some one diffusing, a diffused hair is a dying hair.
I know the truth hurts! trust me in the beginning it's hard to accept whats really going on. My advice start your meds now!

All right, thanks. :-)

thehatman
10-07-2016, 05:10 AM
No problem! BTW have you tried Minoxidil? i think you could reverse your problem.

Dandrel
10-07-2016, 05:16 AM
No problem! BTW have you tried Minoxidil? i think you could reverse your problem.

No, and I'm not sure I want to try it either because of the side effects. I'd rather wait and see what happens for a while - if it stays like this up until my 30's or something I'm pretty fine with being bald, I guess. And if I'm not by then I'd rather do a hair transplant to be honest. If it doesn't stay like this I'm just going to shave it off and grow a beard instead.

I'm also going to try and change my diet a bit to see if that has caused this. I mean, I might be grasping for straws here but it's worth a shot. I've been a vegetarian for about a year and a half, since then my hair lost all the shine it used to have. I've also been under a lot of psychological stress for about a year - I've always had anxiety but this year has been taking the toll on me. I'm just trying to find what could have triggered it so quickly.

Notgivingup2
10-07-2016, 05:53 AM
100% losing your hair bro. It sucks, but it's happening to all of us so we would know.

Skin
10-07-2016, 06:23 AM
No, and I'm not sure I want to try it either because of the side effects. I'd rather wait and see what happens for a while - if it stays like this up until my 30's or something I'm pretty fine with ybeing bald, I guess. And if I'm not by then I'd rather do a hair transplant to be honest. If it doesn't stay like this I'm just going to shave it off and grow a beard instead.

I'm also going to try and change my diet a bit to see if that has caused this. I mean, I might be grasping for straws here but it's worth a shot. I've been a vegetarian for about a year and a half, since then my hair lost all the shine it used to have. I've also been under a lot of psychological stress for about a year - I've always had anxiety but this year has been taking the toll on me. I'm just trying to find what could have triggered it so quickly.

You look like you're losing it quickly. Don't delay in treatment. It could be pretty much gone this time next year! Get on the big 3. Min fin and nizoral. Most people don't get sides dude. Don't let anyone or any horror stories put you off. Honestly hurry up man, you don't have much time!

Skin
10-07-2016, 06:38 AM
Also dude, a hair transplant isn't a be all and end all cure. Most people end up having 3 to chase their continuing balding. The docs will tell you to take minoxidil and finasteride after a transplant for the rest of your life so you can maintain the original non transplanted hair. So basically the bad news is the transplanted hair stays but the rest of your scalp eventually succumbs to baldness. Thus why some end up having 3 surgeries. You're going to need a good 30 grand dude to do that. If you wait to lose all your hair you will never have enough hair on the sides to cover the bald patch.

Your best bet is to keep what you've got now at least. That way you may get decent regrowth and not need a transplant. If you decide in a few years to have one at least you won't have to spend a fortune.

But just to reiterate. Unless you can fully except baldness finasteride and minoxidil are your only effective options. Transplant or not.

thehatman
10-07-2016, 07:06 AM
I was also a vegetarian for almost 5 years. 4 years in to it i also started to lose hair and my quality became real bad, so i started to eat meat again and the limp looking hair became normal agin. A vegetarian diet is not good for all.

Dandrel
10-07-2016, 06:03 PM
100% losing your hair bro. It sucks, but it's happening to all of us so we would know.

Yeah, kind of sucks. But, I was sort of expecting it - to be honest.

Dandrel
10-07-2016, 06:05 PM
Yeah, truth in what you say. I'd rather embrace the baldness, though. If I'm going bald then I'm going bald. I've got real thick eyebrows. Maybe I can comb them over ;-)

Dandrel
10-07-2016, 06:11 PM
I was also a vegetarian for almost 5 years. 4 years in to it i also started to lose hair and my quality became real bad, so i started to eat meat again and the limp looking hair became normal agin. A vegetarian diet is not good for all.

Yes. I can see how it has messed up my hair a bit.

http://i65.tinypic.com/j6rinp.jpg

That's taken right before I became vegetarian.

And by the way, the thing that I find weird is that I've gone to two barbers - one that I usually go to and have been for about a year or so. They keep telling me that it's all right and it doesn't look like I'm balding. Also my girlfriend hasn't noticed a change. It's really doing my head in.

Dandrel
10-08-2016, 03:08 PM
I haven't seen chunks of hair anywhere. It just seems thinner and 'dead'. As I said, I'll change my diet back to normal and see if it changes anything. If it doesn't - I'll just use this thread to document my hair leaving my head.

k9gatton
10-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Also dude, a hair transplant isn't a be all and end all cure. Most people end up having 3 to chase their continuing balding. The docs will tell you to take minoxidil and finasteride after a transplant for the rest of your life so you can maintain the original non transplanted hair. So basically the bad news is the transplanted hair stays but the rest of your scalp eventually succumbs to baldness. Thus why some end up having 3 surgeries. You're going to need a good 30 grand dude to do that. If you wait to lose all your hair you will never have enough hair on the sides to cover the bald patch.

Your best bet is to keep what you've got now at least. That way you may get decent regrowth and not need a transplant. If you decide in a few years to have one at least you won't have to spend a fortune.

But just to reiterate. Unless you can fully except baldness finasteride and minoxidil are your only effective options. Transplant or not.

I haven't seen chunks of hair anywhere. It just seems thinner and 'dead'. As I said, I'll change my diet back to normal and see if it changes anything. If it doesn't - I'll just use this thread to document my hair leaving my head.

The best course of action is to look at your family history. That gives a good indication to genetic balding. Of course, balding is
a dominant gene. And women usually don't produce enough testosterone to be converted into a large amount of DHT (in other words, a mother can pass it on).

If your father is balding, that's an indication there is a dominant balding gene. If he's not, that's a very good sign. I have friends
whose mothers are actually quite bald, and are a Norwood four on the mens scale (hairline/vertex).

So, if both parents have all their hair, chances are good you will to.

Dandrel
10-08-2016, 04:00 PM
The best course of action is to look at your family history. That gives a good indication to genetic balding. Of course, balding is
a dominant gene. And women usually don't produce enough testosterone to be converted into a large amount of DHT (in other words, a mother can pass it on).

If your father is balding, that's an indication there is a dominant balding gene. If he's not, that's a very good sign. I have friends
whose mothers are actually quite bald, and are a Norwood four on the mens scale (hairline/vertex).

So, if both parents have all their hair, chances are good you will to.

Well, my dad is bald. His father too. My mom has plenty, so did her father.

Although, i feel as if the quality of my hair has gotten a lot worse, rather than that I've lost a lot of it. If you know what I mean.

k9gatton
10-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Understand what you're saying. You will probably have some hair loss. It may or may not be as much as your father.

Dandrel
10-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Understand what you're saying. You will probably have some hair loss. It may or may not be as much as your father.

Yeah. I'm actually quite fine with that.

Another thing that I thought of, while googling traction alopecia, is that I used to sport a manbun for about 3-4 months. It was really tight - meaning that the hair was pulled tight not that it was cool hahaha. Apparently, from what I've read, is that it could also help to progress MPB. Maybe I did that? Maybe my hair was getting a bit weaker and I just pulled it out and now it's not going to grow back. But I don't know.

I've started eating meat again. See if it helps with anything. My body shows clear signs of vitamin deficiency so that could play a major role, too. I'll just see how it goes.

Dandrel
10-11-2016, 05:23 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/1zg5ldh.jpg

Is this minituarization or regrowth? It grows with my natural hairline and seems to be connected as well to the sides.

k9gatton
10-12-2016, 07:33 PM
It looks like androgen alopecia to me, only because parts that are pulled have the same amount of thinning.

For a man bun, that would probably be the hair on the nape, I would guess (would have the most pull). (
I can only grow a "man marble" as a Norwood four).

A man bun is on top, so it would have less pulling on the front. That's why I think it's androgen alopecia.

This is a test that's usually true, chin -> nostrils = top of nose -> hairline should be (could be a centimeter off).

It sucks. My hairline is Norwood three vertex, slowly approaching Norwood four. I understand. But I really think
that Minoxidil would work if it's in the beginning stages.

If you do try it, try the foam.

richter101
10-14-2016, 11:17 PM
You are balding my friend..

I started noticing something wasn't right in my early 20's too. If it's not looking right to you, than it's not. ;-)

I'd recommend for now you begin taking Finasteride. I regret not using it sooner, but I was scared of the 5% chance of negative effect. Proud to say I'm part of the 95%. lol Was worth the risk. Wouldn't recommend looking into hair transplant until at least a couple more years down the line. But you will eventually need it. Be sure to start researching now though and saving up. Highly recommend FUE.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct 89
Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct 09
Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June 15

My regimen includes:
HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016
Finasteride daily, since 2014
Rogaine experimenter from 2012- 13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year

Dandrel
10-15-2016, 05:03 PM
It looks like androgen alopecia to me, only because parts that are pulled have the same amount of thinning.

For a man bun, that would probably be the hair on the nape, I would guess (would have the most pull). (
I can only grow a "man marble" as a Norwood four).

A man bun is on top, so it would have less pulling on the front. That's why I think it's androgen alopecia.

This is a test that's usually true, chin -> nostrils = top of nose -> hairline should be (could be a centimeter off).

It sucks. My hairline is Norwood three vertex, slowly approaching Norwood four. I understand. But I really think
that Minoxidil would work if it's in the beginning stages.

If you do try it, try the foam.

I had a very tight one, right on top of my head, and shaved sides. I think it was pulled pretty much evenly. But I don't know. My barber thinned down my hair as well last time. I'm also seeing a bit of improvement of hair quality since I started eating meat. But yeah. I'll keep you updated. Where would I be on the Norwood?

k9gatton
10-15-2016, 06:01 PM
It's slightly diffuse on top. So, I'm going to say a Norwood two. The temples seem to have slight receding.

k9gatton
10-16-2016, 06:30 AM
The "standard" male Norwood doesn't apply to lots of people (myself included).

For men, it's hairline recession first. The hairline is around a Norwood one. It can be styled normally. There's vertex thinning. That's why I'm calling it a two.

Dandrel
10-18-2016, 07:13 AM
The "standard" male Norwood doesn't apply to lots of people (myself included).

For men, it's hairline recession first. The hairline is around a Norwood one. It can be styled normally. There's vertex thinning. That's why I'm calling it a two.

Yes, I hear you. I'm actually losing hairs from my eyebrow as well. Maybe that's normal though.

MichaelSzny
10-30-2016, 05:34 AM
Why are you holding off using Finasteride?
My hairs no where near as bad and I'm going to start treatment - I would suggest you do too. It's only going to get worse from this point on out, might as well bite the bullet now and save as much hair as possible.

Good luck.

k9gatton
10-30-2016, 07:20 AM
Yes, I hear you. I'm actually losing hairs from my eyebrow as well. Maybe that's normal though.

If you lose lots of weight fast, sometimes that triggers balding earlier. That happened to me when I was nineteen. But it has to be a lot of weight, and in a short amount of time.

Not a vegetarian, so you could be right though. Maybe it's not enough protein. Hopefully that's the case for you because that would be reversible.

BBay
11-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Step up your diet first and massage either with dermaroller or micro pen to get circulation going to hair follicles

Dandrel
11-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Why are you holding off using Finasteride?
My hairs no where near as bad and I'm going to start treatment - I would suggest you do too. It's only going to get worse from this point on out, might as well bite the bullet now and save as much hair as possible.

Good luck.

I don't feel good about putting stuff like that in or on my body. I'd rather shave it off to be honest.

Dandrel
11-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Hi!

Yeah, I've been eating meat now for about a month. It has actually gotten quite a bit better. I'll post some pictures.