View Full Version : Should I be taking Biotin? At what dosage?

09-27-2016, 10:40 AM
For a little over a month now, I've been taking Biotin (2,500 mcg). I've also been using Minoxidil for about a week now. Yesterday, I bought another bottle but this time at 5,000 mcg.

I have receded temples and a slightly receded hairline. Is Biotin something that is recommended to take for hair loss? Should I be taking it? Is it something that I would have to take each day for the rest of my life? What dosage should I be buying? Is 5,000 mcg too much?

09-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Honestly, this depends on your beliefs regarding vitamins and all natural supplements. There are many doctors who stand beside the belief that for the most part, vitamins and supplements aren't successful in combatting hair loss, and in many ways, they're right. I take vitamins and supplements personally, but I understand that they're not necessarily scientifically proven to be effective in terms of fighting Male Pattern Baldness. The only medication clinically proven to slow down MPB is Finasteride, so aside from that, you're gonna get mixed responses.

That being said, vitamins and supplements can indeed play a role in your overall health and the health of your hair, skin, nails, etc. They can make the hair you have healthier, shinier, thicker, etc. and can increase the quality of your scalp, which in turn can help slow down standard hair fall. These are just some examples of benefits of vitamins and supplements.

I guess that's a roundabout way of saying that there's no harm in taking them, they do provide some benefits, but don't rely on them to make a huge impact on your hair where Male Pattern Baldness is concerned. That's a whole other beast in its own right, and Finasteride is going to be your best bet when it comes to a medication that will help slow it down.
I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.