View Full Version : What kind of Hair loss do I have?

03-16-2016, 10:46 AM
Hi guys I want to share my story because I have no idea what kind of hair loss I have. Ok so I had a man bun from mid august 2015 to november 23 2015. I would wear it tight 5 days a week. I deceided to cut it off because my dad started to notice I was losing hair then I went online and found out that having a man bun or wearing a hairstyle too tight leads to traction alopecia. So right away I cut my hair short and I noticed I had diffused thinng on the top part of my scalp. But I read traction alopecia affects the temple and hairline. My hairline and temples are fine so it cant be traction alopecia. None of my hair that I had before the man bun has returned. I use to have a thick head of hair and im only 21. So then I thought I had telogen effluvium because I went through a streasful event in the summer that affected my life. But I read that as soon as the hair sheds a new hair grows back and it has been 4 months since I cut my man bun off and I have yet to see any new hairs grow. So now I dont know what kind of hair loss I have and I would like to know what you guys think I have. I just want my hair to fill in at the top and front part of my scalp. Thanks.



03-16-2016, 10:53 AM
See a derm

Yael Halaas, MD
04-13-2016, 08:52 AM
It is very possible, with the description you have provided, that you are experiencing balding caused by the stress of your hair being pulled back tightly over a period of time, known as “traction alopecia.” Although this is commonly occurring in the temples and frontal hairline from the tight pull of a ponytail or braids it can occur in other locations on the head. For instance, it can occur anywhere that one repeated fastens a barrette or bobby pins. Perhaps, your area of baldness is where you were fastening the bun to your head? Given your young age, it is understandable that you are concerned about this and are looking to restore your lost hair. You should be able to restore much of your lost hair with the help of a board certified facial plastic- hair transplant surgeon. Depending on the severity of your condition, a surgeon would likely suggest either Follicular Unit Grafting or Follicular Unit Extraction to reverse the balding. Your physician also may suggest beginning with a topical minoxidil solution. Best of luck!