PDA

View Full Version : M (23) receding hairline

christophermitchell
01-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone,
Sorry for my English it's not my first language. I'm 23 years old and I'm receding till my 18. I've been on finasteride for almost 3 years but my hairline keep receding. So I've jump on rogaine foam and nizoral shampoo for maintain or maybe have some regrowth...Family history, my dad is a solid nw1 in his fifties but I have 2 uncle on my mother side who are nw 4 and they are like 30ish...

Hairline

christophermitchell
01-30-2016, 11:24 AM
And the crown

I'm just wondering where I am right now on the norwood scale?

christophermitchell
01-31-2016, 07:36 AM
Bump,
Little shy to post that after 1 month on rogain but i see some little dark hair on my hairline. Is it some regrowth or the balding processus?

On the right:

bmoreno515
01-31-2016, 10:14 AM
hey bro I just have a question, first of all your hairline is not receding but it could be maturing maybe. Your hair is really thick and your crown has a normal cowlick everything looks good. Do you apply rogaine at the hair line or the crown as well? Also have you experienced shedding?

christophermitchell
01-31-2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the reply mate,

I apply the rogaine mostly on my hairline and a little bit on the crown just to prevent. (I don't know if it's a waste of time to put it on the crown)...I got some sheeding after 2/3 weeks on the product but not enough to be worried about it.

christophermitchell
02-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Here, it's more clear and I think we can see some regrowth on the right of my hairline. Maybe it's too early and I couldn't say if it was there before...Anyways I'll keep doing updates and be free to make comments.
Cheers,

christophermitchell
02-06-2016, 10:17 AM
I'm just stressing more and more theses days....what do you think about my hair with all the pictures that I post?

BaldingEagle
02-06-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm just stressing more and more theses days....what do you think about my hair with all the pictures that I post?

NW1, I wouldn't even think you had MPB. Stay on that fin grind.

Fortunate Son
02-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Imo it doesn't look like Male Pattern Baldness. Were you losing a lot of hairs all over the top of your head before you started finasteride? Having a few short hairs on the hair line is not related to MPB as long as they are black and healthy looking. Every person has short hairs all over their head because they just got out of the resting phase (10% of your hairs are in this at any time) and are starting a new growing phase. If they're thin, colourless, don't grow over an inch and pull out easily then they are minitiurizing.

I can't see how thick your hair is on those pictures, but to me it doesn't look like you're balding at all.

christophermitchell
02-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Imo it doesn't look like Male Pattern Baldness. Were you losing a lot of hairs all over the top of your head before you started finasteride? Having a few short hairs on the hair line is not related to MPB as long as they are black and healthy looking. Every person has short hairs all over their head because they just got out of the resting phase (10% of your hairs are in this at any time) and are starting a new growing phase. If they're thin, colourless, don't grow over an inch and pull out easily then they are minitiurizing.

I can't see how thick your hair is on those pictures, but to me it doesn't look like you're balding at all.

I remember that I start receding around 18, I was stressing like crazy and I was really concerned. I saw a dermatologist who told me that I have MPB, then he prescribe me propecia.I don't remember loosing hair on the top of my head before finasteride. But I got a phase, where I was loosing some on the top while I was on it. I start panicking so I add minoxidil. Maybe I'm just over reacting...

Thanks for the reply.

christophermitchell
02-14-2016, 12:22 PM
It's me again, just gonna post some picture after my second can of rogaine;

Front

No improvement but I'm still gonna stick to it; I'll be back in 1 month;)
Cheers.

christophermitchell
02-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Little update,
I change generic finasteride for proscar. Apparently it's the same thing and it's gonna help me alot financially cause I'm a student. I just have a few questions.....
1. Should I expect some shedding if I change finasteride for (1/4)proscar ?
2. I use minoxidil foam, when should I reach the full potential of the product?

Thank you

Johny41
02-23-2016, 07:37 AM
Hi,
I read all your posts and viewed your photos. I just wonder, why do you think your hair is receding? In my opinion you have a pretty good hairline as well as the crown. Your hair looks thick and very strong.

christophermitchell
02-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Hi johny,
I got some thinning on my hairline around 18-19 years old.... and at this moment I saw a dermatologist who told me that I got hairloss. He never really look at my hair clearly but he put me on finasteride and now I just have the feeling that I'm loosing more and more hair. Maybe I just got a mature hairline or maybe not but I don't wanna take any chances....
Cheers

christophermitchell
02-26-2016, 06:24 AM
Morning,
Like a v shape of the hairline is not supposed to mean the start of the balding process?

Fortunate Son
02-26-2016, 07:38 AM
Morning,
Like a v shape of the hairline is not supposed to mean the start of the balding process?

Just a V-shape does not necessarily mean MPB. It could just be a mature hairline. MPB is different for every person, looking at your relatives is the best way to predict what will happen to you.

edit: I just saw your pictures on top of the page and to me it doesn't look like you're really going bald, but since you're so young and I have no idea what your hair looks like in person and how your relatives are doing hair-wise, don't take my word for it.

It doesn't look to me like there is much reason for concern yet. Then again, if your dermatologist says you do have MPB and gave you fin, I'm sure he/she knows something I don't. I do think it's odd that you would get a prescription for fin without him/her even looking at your scalp. Maybe try to get a second opinion from another derm or go for a consult at a hair clinic or something?

christophermitchell
02-29-2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks for responding;
I think my dermatologist would never prescribe me fin without a diagnostic, I guess I'm just responding well to medication and I catch it at the right time. I don't have to stress too much about it and just live my life....

However, I'm trying minox foam and here my hairline after 2 month ish;

Cheers

christophermitchell
03-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Little update,
I've switch to kirkland liquid because I can't afford rogaine foam.... I think with the little dropper I will respect the right dosage. I still don't see an improvement in my hairline, just some peach fuzz. I still gonna continue my regiment and see what's going to happen.

Cheers

christophermitchell
03-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Almost 1 month on minoxidil liquid, honestly I prefer the foam cause it's really easy to apply and it was not making my hair greasy....However, my pocket is really happy. This is some picture after almost 4 months on minox. No big improvement but it's really weird cause I can see some little hair and peach fuzz where I apply the product....what do you think????

christophermitchell
03-28-2016, 08:47 AM
And here the pictures where you can see clearly that I got MPB

christophermitchell
04-24-2016, 03:32 PM
Me again with more picture.... at this point I don't know what to think about

JohnMPB
04-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Just wax it bro

tedwuji
04-25-2016, 01:01 AM
Just wax it bro

haha John

tedwuji
04-25-2016, 01:07 AM
Hi everyone,
Sorry for my English it's not my first language. I'm 23 years old and I'm receding till my 18. I've been on finasteride for almost 3 years but my hairline keep receding. So I've jump on rogaine foam and nizoral shampoo for maintain or maybe have some regrowth...Family history, my dad is a solid nw1 in his fifties but I have 2 uncle on my mother side who are nw 4 and they are like 30ish...

Hairline

You need to get a hair bulk analysis and hair mapping for miniaturization. I am not sure if you are balding.

miniaturization mapping described in detail: http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/densitometry-and-video-microscopy/

hair check tool for hair bulk analysis described in detail: https://baldingblog.com/2010/11/11/haircheck-for-hair-bulk-analysis/

Rassman and Bernstein are original old school heavy hitters in the field. These are things that should be universally practiced by hair restoration surgeons. "Eyeballing" it is not enough to make accurate predictions of future patterns or even see early stages of loss. Objective and empirical data is needed to make the most educated decision in terms of a
Treatment Protocol.

christophermitchell
06-07-2016, 01:08 PM

I've just turn 24 recently and I'm thinking about getting a hairtansplant, maybe not now but eventually I will... I have the feeling that I lost some grounds there

pajason
06-08-2016, 10:55 AM

I've just turn 24 recently and I'm thinking about getting a hairtansplant, maybe not now but eventually I will... I have the feeling that I lost some grounds there

Don't see a lot of difference but it was only 2 months. If your not on meds now is the time. Also you don't want to have a HT if the men in your family are NW 6 or 7 without trying to stabilize your hairloss first. Otherwise you are in a loop of trying to chase getting more hair and by the time the transplants grow you have lost just as much as grew in.

christophermitchell
06-08-2016, 07:35 PM
My dad have a norwood 1 and he's 52 year old....my uncles on my mother side are bald, like norwood 5 ish, I think im following the path of my uncles haha but I'm already on fin and minox so I could try to slow down the hairloss I guess

JohnMPB
06-12-2016, 07:42 PM
You have a perfectly normal head of hair for a 24 year old.

christophermitchell
06-25-2016, 08:44 AM
But a u shape of the hairline, doesn't mean a pattern of Baldness?

dm90
06-25-2016, 10:50 AM
You are 24 and experiencing possibly the EARLIEST level of hairloss. Heres the thing, it may never go past this. With these things you can never tell. Listen to your dermatologist, your doctor recognizes this is the possibly the earliest sign because lets be honest here its SO common for guys to lose hair, most do in fact. WIth that being said you are in a wonderful position to treat it and put this out of your mind for years to come. If you're worried stay with the treatment, and know youre tackling the problem with a very effective medication. You have a great hairline a little recession can look refined.

BBay
06-26-2016, 02:42 AM
check it against photos of when you were young 9-12 years old, you might be surprised by the comparison

christophermitchell
06-27-2016, 10:18 AM
funny thing is that i used to have really long hair that it covers my forehead, so i can't really check the old pic...and i just realized that the temple point on my right side is thinning a lot compare to the left side. Again sorry for my bad english...
cheers.

Zdude
07-10-2016, 06:48 PM
You have a slightly receding hairline, and whether or not it recedes any more, there's really no way to tell if that's the case or not. You're doing pretty well by jumping on Fin and Min at this early stage, though IMO - no harm in using it to slow down or prevent more hair loss, assuming you're not facing any bad side effects.

You don't need a hair transplant, though. Absolutely not. It looks distinguished at most, and I wouldn't even notice your receding hairline unless you pulled your hair back tightly and I was outright looking for it.

christophermitchell
07-15-2016, 07:57 PM
Thank you Zdude for the respond, i appreciate your honesty.
So im still on fin plus minox and now i have a few questions;
- Ive been on minox for 7 months and i don't see a change at all, dose it means that it don't work? Should i stop it?
- My other question is, when a person should consider a hair transplant?
- Last question, I stop the nizoral shampoo... cause i didn't see a change at all, should i considering going back on it to have more improvement?

Again I apologize for my bad english, thank you.

Zdude
07-16-2016, 12:43 AM
I personally saw good results from using Min 5% twice a day after five months (mind you, my receding hairline was way, way more advanced than yours before starting). It's best effects are thickening your hair (if you're thinning) and slowing down hair loss IMO. Fin is where the heavy lifting really exists, because that actually messes with your hormones, but is pretty good at preventing hair loss, too - but can take up to a year to see results.

Question: were you experiencing heavy hair loss, as in waking up with a lot of hair on your pillow, a few hairs falling out whenever you put your fingers through your hair? If yes, then that's a sign of balding. If not, you don't need to be too worried.

As for a hair transplant, IMO, it's best to do when you literally have other people mentioning your receding hairline without any prompting on your part, and only once your hair loss isn't moving all that quickly - the reason: you don't want bald patches on your head after surgery for no reason. Hair transplants are not an overnight successes, usually takes about a year after getting one to see how well it worked. That's why you want your hair loss to be stable. You don't want your transplanted hair to finally grow after a year, but now you have bald patches where your hair would've receded even more. The other reason is hair transplants aren't always successful, and you can suffer some bad 'shock loss', where you can potentially lose more hair from a transplant than actually gain - which makes sense, every surgery has risks. So, yeah, you want to make sure you're willing to take that risk before going ahead - at the moment, you have a barely noticeable receding hairline. It just wouldn't be worth the time, money, and risk of going through a hair transplant.

I personally wouldn't even consider a hair transplant at my stage.

if you want to see what a proper receding hairline looks like, aha: https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/threads/24411-Early-hairloss?p=238548&highlight=#post238548

christophermitchell
07-16-2016, 09:03 PM
Thank you again for the answers Zdude,
Ive experiencing heavy hair loss around 19-20 years, every morning i saw a tons of hair on my pillow, when i was at school my hair was falling on my papers, I freak out. I was so worried about it and i didn't understand why it was happening to me....my dad is 53 years old and he's like a norwood 2....I saw a dermatologist who diagnosticed MPB, then he prescribe me Propecia. Then later, i added minoxidil cause im still worried about it.

Zdude
07-17-2016, 12:05 AM
You should be fine. You're using the two best medications for treating hair loss: that being minoxidil and finastride (Propecia). Personally, I also take a vitamin supplement of Biotin - which has made my fingernails and hair grow faster, stronger. The supplement doesn't cure baldness or slow it down at all, but it does make the hair you do have on your head more healthy.

Are you suffering any side effects from the minoxidil or propecia (if you don't mind my asking)?

christophermitchell
07-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Honestly i never suffer from secondary effects on theses two medication, sure i have some dandruff from minoxidil but thats pretty much it...I just wish i could keep what I've got for a long time.

Cheers.

christophermitchell
08-25-2016, 04:09 AM

Any progress or I'm still loosing some ground?
I've been on rogaine for about 10 months and fina for a long time.

Can it stays like that for ever?

Just need some opinions, cheers

christophermitchell
08-27-2016, 05:09 PM
Up ��

Dfaru94
08-28-2016, 01:07 PM
check it against photos of when you were young 9-12 years old, you might be surprised by the comparisonIt's a problem doing that, because virtually ALL mens' hairlines (even men who aren't balding/won't go bald) will move upwards slightly post-puberty. It's a process called "maturing hairline", which is where virtually all mens' hairlines recede slightly during young adulthood.

That's why that vast majority men (even non-balding men) tend to have slightly higher hairlines than women, and often have slightly receded "M-shaped" hairlines as opposed to the feminine "n-shaped" ones.

Of course there are some exceptions to this, Zayn Malik, but in most cases regular adult men don't have hairlines like that.

@OP - too early to tell. Your crown area is absolutely fine, very little (if any at all) hair loss. A small parting with a tiny bit of scalp showing at the crown is normal and not hair loss. Your hairline is very slightly receded (looks fine though! Not bad at all), but at this point it's not such a distinguished receding hairline to be certain that it is baldness and not just a mature hairline. Best thing to do is either see a professional for a scalp examination, or take more photos in similar lighting in a year or so and see if there is any change.

christophermitchell
08-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Thank you for responding,

So at this point, you said that we cannot tell if im balding or not. Im just wondering how we could know if its a mature hairline? is there's like an appropriate age to start having this mature hairline? habitually its not in our teenager phase that we develop it?

do you have some example of some person who've stay a norwood 2 for the rest of their life?

cheers

Dfaru94
08-30-2016, 01:11 AM
It can happen any time post-puberty, and tends to be an ongoing process. However, it happens so slowly you're not likely to notice it changing without looking at photos taken many years apart. If you look at older men, it's quite rare to see an older man who still has his hairline completely intact, even if he still has a fairly full head of hair otherwise. I don't have photos of him to show without his permission, but my maternal grandfather is a Norwood 2-3 in his 70s, and has been for probably a few decades now.

That's why a lot of hair transplant surgeons advise against re-constructing a "youthful" hairline, since it might not look very natural when you're older (that, and it eats up donor hair that could be used elsewhere).

A receding hairline (balding) is when you're seeing more noticeable and rapid hair loss, and when your hairline ends up sitting over top of your head, totally ruined.

The best way to tell is to just wait it out, which I know is probably frustrating. If you notice more hairline receding or thinning in the coming months or few years, it's balding. Typically, if you make it into your 30s (or older) and you still have a full/ish head of hair, you're more likely to keep quite a lot of it. Normally it's only men who notice balding very young who are going to lose a lot of hair and bald dramatically. Not always, but typically.

On the positive side, like I said it doesn't look like you have any crown balding, which is a good sign even at 23 (still doesn't mean you'll have NO crown hair loss, but hey you've made it this far). If it stays that way, and you feel like considering a hair transplant when you're a little older, you'll be a very good candidate for surgery more than likely.

christophermitchell
09-12-2016, 02:12 PM
I know that im posting a lot of picture on this forum but its helping to see the evolution of my hairloss.
Here some picture with wet hair.

christophermitchell
09-23-2016, 11:03 AM
It's me again and I have some questions, I don't know if I should start a new post or not?

Anyways I'm just asking myself if mpb is progressive or not?

Could it stop at a nw 2 then it never change again?

Is it possible that minoxidil make me feel more sleepy?

Thank you

Zdude
10-10-2016, 11:01 AM
The medication looks like it's working. Your hairline doesn't look like its receding at all now.

Congratulations. :D

christophermitchell
11-14-2016, 11:03 AM
I think I've catch it at right time with the good products, I hate this greasy minoxidil stuff but I'm stick to it.
I think I haven't loose more hair since that I've started to use proscar;

k9gatton
11-19-2016, 11:13 AM
And the crown

I'm just wondering where I am right now on the norwood scale?

Your barely even a Norwood one. In fact, your closer to a Norwood zero than you know.

Temple hair is in good shape.

This might surprise you, but in males, usually the right side of the brain is one percent bigger
than the left. Most people's heads are not symmetrical. In fact, quite the opposite.

You are very fortunate to have as much hair as you do.

Definitely some regrowth going on the right side.

k9gatton
11-19-2016, 11:15 AM
I think I've catch it at right time with the good products, I hate this greasy minoxidil stuff but I'm stick to it.
I think I haven't loose more hair since that I've started to use proscar;

Do you mean cutting Proscar (five milligrams of Finasteride) in quarters? The tablet
isn't scored. That means the amount in fourths isn't evenly distributed.

christophermitchell
11-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Yes I cut the proscar (5mg) in 4 pieces with a pill cutter, it's not perfect but it makes the job I guess.

k9gatton
11-23-2016, 02:29 PM
I remember that I start receding around 18, I was stressing like crazy and I was really concerned. I saw a dermatologist who told me that I have MPB, then he prescribe me propecia.I don't remember loosing hair on the top of my head before finasteride. But I got a phase, where I was loosing some on the top while I was on it. I start panicking so I add minoxidil. Maybe I'm just over reacting...

Thanks for the reply.

It's always really stressful. Especially when we first discover it.

However, your treatment is definitely working for you. Nizerol shampoo? There's really not a whole lot of proof on that. Would not recommend washing your hair everyday, as it dries out natrual oils.

Keep using Finasteride and Minoxidil. I'll bet you'll be a "full head" by the end of
the year!

k9gatton
11-26-2016, 07:28 PM
Bump,
Little shy to post that after 1 month on rogain but i see some little dark hair on my hairline. Is it some regrowth or the balding processus?

On the right:

That is definitely a sign of regrowth. The hair is terminal and growing in a diffuse area. That's how Minoxidil regrowth looks like
when it first grows back.

christophermitchell
11-28-2016, 01:38 PM
Ive stop nizoral shampoo for a while, it makes my hair dry...
It was hard at first to accept the fact that maybe one day ill be bald, now i know that it could eventually be a possibility but im taking the best 2 medications... if it gets worst and if its stable, i will considering a HT.