View Full Version : Should donor region look like this?

04-26-2015, 10:01 PM
First, I want to say thanks for the advice I've gotten on this forum before. It is extremely handy to have a place to get honest and straightforward advice about FUE/FUT procedures and hairloss. I am posting this because, at this particular time, the donor region of my head looks a little different than how I thought it would look after an FUE procedure. This was with a very well-known doctor and was 1600 grafts. Posted are pictures of the donor region 13 days after surgery. In the third picture, the very back of my head (as well as on the sides, a little), I believe I large patches of grafted-area side-by-side with un-grafted areas. When my hair was cut 5 days ago (no guard), nothing seemed very noticeable. However, now, the blothces of grafted-skin and non-grafted skin are extremely noticeable, to me anyways.

So my question is, should I expect a result like this - a result that does seem to show blotches of grafted and un-grafted skin this visible? I am looking close and do notice that in some places, I simply have very few follicles. I attached a picture with red lines around the major areas I'm concerned about. Thanks in advance for any help. Also for some reason I seem to get these tiny red bumps all over - don't know why. But that is a whole different topic.

04-28-2015, 12:39 AM
It really looks invisible to me , Nice hair cut

Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
04-28-2015, 06:22 AM
The overall healing can take several months and in that time your skin color and hair growth can normalize making it very very hard to see. With your skin type and hair color you do want to minimize sun exposure as a good sunburn can results in uneven colors after a procedure.

I would not panic yet, and do keep close follow up with your clinic.

Now, of course, this is a medical procedure so it is possible to get permanent changes that are not the most ideal aesthetically. I always tell patients you have to prepare and plan for the worst. That is why its good to choose a good doctor and team so that you at least know the odds are in your favor. Medicine can be very unpredictable and every scalp is different.

04-28-2015, 06:48 AM
Thank you doctor. If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying the hair growth of the donor region may normalize, or begin to even-out, Is that correct? If so, I am only lost on how hair growth will normalize. My searches and reviews of this website have somewhat led me to believe that when an FUE follicle is extracted, it is no longer possible for hair to regrow there, as the follicle is permanently gone (unless it might be a partial FUE extraction or another type of method leaving parts of the follicle).

Do you mean normalize as in, the hair of the donor region has started growing at a smaller rate as compared to before, due to the trauma caused in the donor region removing the grafts? I'm just trying to figure out how it would even out. Both you and my doctor have said it will get and look better, which I do believe. I'm just trying to understand exactly how it will. Of course, it is entirely likely that I am not understanding something in this mix. You are the doctors and ultimately have the knowledge and expertise needed to give sound advice.

Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
04-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Normalization is multi-factorial as what you are seeing is multi-factorial. Right now, one thing that draws your eye is the color contrast. This is often (bot not always) normalizes as with any aesthetic skin procedure. Dermatologists and Plastic surgeons deal with this all the time, it just never looks right the first few months but then usually looks great if taken care of down the road. A lot does depend on after care and that is why following up careful aftercare is important.

For hair growth un-even issues, various things may come into play
-In FUE not all grafts are 100% extracted so if partial grafts remain they often regrow.
-Some extractions produce no graft at all, and again this results in regrowth most of the time. This is why some clinics, like ours, dont charge by the harvest or the attempt, but by the actual number of visibly complete grafts
-A lot of the hairs around the extraction sites get traumatized and can go into shock, and this to will normalize with time with regrowth.

And again, this is all in a best case scenario. We can not predict how every patient will respond. But, it is way to early to tell in your case.

04-28-2015, 06:54 AM
I definitely appreciate the responses doc. All very informative, and I now have a much clearer picture of what may affect donor-area hair growth post-operation.

04-28-2015, 07:22 AM
Nothing looks out of place ! Looks good!

11-22-2015, 03:36 PM
Give it time bro, it will normalize, and if u feel like it is itching then please try not to scratch. It will all be good.