View Full Version : Joe Tillman Working With Dr. Karadeniz

04-25-2015, 11:31 AM
For the sake of transparency and openness I'm letting everyone know that I'm now officially working with the latest IAHRS approved doctor from Turkey (http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/turkey/ali-emre-karadeniz/), Dr. Emre Karadeniz of AEK Hair Institute in Istanbul. I am not his official consultant but rather I work with Dr. K in an advisory capacity. I can however review any recommendations Dr. K has made through my second opinion service offered free of charge on my website, just like I offer for any other doctor consultation.

Why Dr. Karadeniz? After I made my announcement that I was going independent Dr. K contacted me because he had some questions. After we "met" via Skype we chatted and discussed current issues and this led to further dialogue over several weeks that revealed more about the man. What I found in Dr. K was a true hair geek. He has a great deal of skill and understanding of both FUE and FUSS but he is also someone that has an absolute passion to learn so he can be the best that he can be. I was cautiously optimistic about the quality of doctor he was until he said a few things that confirmed my suspicions. He told me two things in particular that stuck with me.

"Being considered the best would certainly be nice but I would not want to be considered the best unless I truly earned such a title."
I appreciate such humility in a hair transplant surgeon with obvious skills.

The second think he told me was, "I think that the honest way to publish photos is to show all angles no matter where you transplant."
This was during a conversation we had about hair transplant clinical photos. There is no better view on how to present your work and it happens to be how I feel about the issue as well. If a NW6 patient has 3000 grafts to the frontal hairline and anterior mid-scalp, we should see what the result looks like from ALL angles, including the back/crown, and not just the angles that are the most flattering.

A few notes of consideration about Dr. K.

- For FUE he does all of the extractions as well as all of the incisions. His technicians only perform the placement.

- He is quite proficient with FUSS and can be counted as among only a few doctors in the world that can efficiently transplant 6000 grafts in a single session.

- He does one procedure a day.

- His medical training includes extensive surgical experience in plastics.

- He does not cherry pick his patients for the best result. He takes on challenging repair cases as well.

- He can utilize both FUE and FUSS to address a patient's needs.

- He does not charge more for FUE or FUSS. Both procedures are priced the same so price is not a factor in his recommendations.

- The fee that Dr. K charges for surgery is all inclusive. There are no additional fees for secondary treatments, therapies or post-operative medications. Hotel and airport transfers are also included in the fee.

Dr. Karadeniz has exhibited to me that he wishes to do what is right as opposed to what is easy or profitable. I like that and it reflects how I'm choosing to conduct myself as well. He doesn't want to be a cookie cutter copy of other clinics. He simply wants to do what he feels is the best work for the patient and I think he's the kind of guy that will stick to this ideal as he gets more exposure.

Am I recommending everyone go to Dr. K? No, because I firmly believe that no single doctor is the best option for everyone. I am however suggesting that he's worth considering. What you do in the end is up to you.