View Full Version : Scalp pain after a year on fin

02-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Hey, so basically had been on finasteride for a year and three months. (Recently been weaning off) at the 12 month mark I had a random shed followed by increased sex drive, followed by oily scalp, followed by scalp pimples, and scalp pain. During the first year on 1.25mg, I experienced no change to my hair and no shedding. At 1 year I've now receded only hairline and developed pain, pimples on hairline, the whole 9 yards.

Anyone get this before and did it stop when you quit the drug? I DO NOT want to go on Dutasteride in fear of have this reaction again.

I NEED HELP!!! I didn't have thinning hair or a bald spot, just some recession on right hairline. Now my left is taking a s*** and my scalp hurts in spots!

Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
02-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Finasteride has a lot of weird side effects. However, with scalp side effects, it is sometimes worth a scalp biopsy to make sure you do not have some sort of overlapping alopecia. Several reports exist on pubmed.com of alopecia overlap and alopecia pattern mimics. They are rare, but something to consider and talk to your doctor about.

02-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Dr. Rashid, first of all it feels great to have a response from a medical professional so thank you. I've been to a dermatologist and she told me that I may have sebborheic dermatitis, however my scalp has no redness or dandruff. I will definitely ask for a biopsy now, but do you believe that finasteride could have contributed to this? I read things about others having similar issues and then quitting due to them.

Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
02-12-2015, 04:53 PM
This does sound like a unique situation. Could the medicine have a role in this? Yes, it is always possible. If you are willing to stop taking it to see what happens, that may let you know. If you do not stop it, or if you stop it and the issue persists, then the biopsy can tell you a lot. A good scalp biopsy read by a good dermatology pathologist will tell you if the issue is epidermal, dermal, perifollicular, interfollicular and so forth. You can get a very good idea of the location of the pathology. This does not always tell you the exact diagnosis, but can help in managing it. Ultimatly, anything on the internet(including this) is only educational and an in person evaluation is still warranted. Maybe you need to see a dermatologist at the local university since they tend to see higher complexity cases.

02-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Dr. Rashid, once again, thank you for the reply. I've been trying to wean off of finasteride but the issue, although it seems to have died down some, still persists. Do you know how I can locate a university? I live in New Jersey so if you know of any, please let me know.

Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
02-12-2015, 05:02 PM
I believe rutgers & umdnj have university level dermatology departments. you may want to call to see if they have a hair specialist in the department which would be even better. NYU also has one if you are near them. One good resource would be the AAD website for dermatologist then wean down to those at universities. Sometimes, you may need a few opinions if the issue is complex.

02-12-2015, 05:16 PM
I will definitely check into those. Thank you so much for your help, Dr. Rashid. I appreciate it more than you can imagine!