View Full Version : Transection rates higher with FUE vs. FUT?

11-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi I'm just curious if any of the clinics who perform FUE regularly could help to answer this question. I've heard that FUE could yield up to 20% transected/damaged FU, whereas FUT typically has like 1-2%?

This is mainly due to the estimated angle of entry when using the extraction tool vs. the microscopic dissection in strip method.

Is this accurate or have clinics been able to master the extraction method to reduce the risk of damaging FU's?

Thanks for your help, I'm still torn between choosing FUE vs FUT.

Dr. Feller
11-20-2009, 05:49 AM
You're close, but not quite on target.

The main problem with FUE is not necessarily the angle of attack or general technique of the practitioner. Rather it is the physiology of the pateint's skin.

If the skin is too "mushy" it will tear apart no matter how perfect the technique. Similarly, in skin that is "brittle", the graft can fracture no matter the skill level of the practitioner. These are the main limitations of FUE.

An experienced FUE practitioner can maximize yields under various circumstances utilizing a varity of techniques and instruments, but for the foreseeable future Strip definitely has the lead over FUE in terms of growth yields. But that comes with a caviat as well in that the strip team must be experienced and dedicated or yields can be just as low as the worst FUE.

11-21-2009, 03:51 PM
All other factors being equal, meaning, competent staff and state of the art equipment, strip continues to produce the highest and best yields over FUE.