PDA

View Full Version : My PRP experience so far

FearTheLoss
10-20-2014, 09:26 PM
I got PRP about a month ago. Initially, I noticed a decrease in shedding. I thought it had stopped my hair loss or slowed it down drastically. Now, a little over 4 weeks after my treatment, I am shredding like crazy and losing hair really fast. I am hoping this is just because I'm going to get good regrowth rather than it isn't working at all and I'm just heading over the cliff here.

I will keep you guys updated.

FTL

x4342
10-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the update. As I mentioned earlier, I'm definitely interested in hearing a detailed account of your experience with his treatment. Obviously, it's too early at this point, but I appreciate the update.
It would also help to know your basic "stats" before the treatment.
-How much hair loss did you have?
-Was it stable,improving or worsening before the treatment?
-How long have you been losing hair and at what rate?

As I've said before, injecting growth factors works, it just doesn't work well at this point. I hope things go well. Good luck!

FearTheLoss
10-22-2014, 02:14 AM
I was somewhere between nw2 and 3..some thinning in the crown and receded hairline. It isn't extremely noticeable. It was definitely worsening before the treatment. I have been losing hair for 2 years at a slow rate, however it has picked up in the last 5-6 months.

Have you had PRP done?

I think the reason a lot of people don't see great success with PRP is because they don't go to a reputable PRP doctor, and there's a lot more that goes into PRP than meets the eye. For instance, different factors that cause and hasten hair loss. Further, the differences in peoples' blood.

I'm sure we are going to see an increase in PRP usage in the field of hair loss and an increase in it's efficacy as more research is done on it.

x4342
10-22-2014, 03:37 AM
Thank you for the info.
Yes, I agree that part of the reason people don't report success is that there is no standardized protocol and a lot of doctors are just offering it for a quick cash grab without understanding how to maximize the process.

I think the other reason people aren't reporting success is simply because it isn't very efficient and it doesn't live up to their expectations. I've had PRP+ECM and had some very minor but still encouraging results. It's clear that injecting growth factors will reverse miniaturization, even extensive miniaturization. It's also clear that PRP isn't "hair regrowth serum" but rather has elevated concentrations of certain important growth factors. What's impressive is that it can work pretty much anywhere and even in regions where there hasn't been any hair in a long while. I was surprised to see long lost individual ultra-low juvenile hairline hairs pop in even though they were cosmetically useless in quantity.
Refining the treatment, adding an ECM etc like Greco has done is slowly improving the results. In theory the right combination of growth factors could actually lead to massive regrowth but only if the proper "recipe" were used. That was the hype of Histogen but so far they've failed to convince many of us and apparently prospective investors as well.

I like PRP because it's a safe, currently available, though highly inefficient manner of delivering needed growth factors. It really comes down to cost. If you have the money it's a good idea. It's like Kobe Bryant. He can obviously afford any sort of growth factor injection for his knee and if he gains even the slightest improvement it was worth it. But if someone is diligently saving up their hard earned money hoping a PRP injection will "fix" their knee or their hair they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

-Keep us updated!

FearTheLoss
10-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Thank you for the info.
Yes, I agree that part of the reason people don't report success is that there is no standardized protocol and a lot of doctors are just offering it for a quick cash grab without understanding how to maximize the process.

I think the other reason people aren't reporting success is simply because it isn't very efficient and it doesn't live up to their expectations. I've had PRP+ECM and had some very minor but still encouraging results. It's clear that injecting growth factors will reverse miniaturization, even extensive miniaturization. It's also clear that PRP isn't "hair regrowth serum" but rather has elevated concentrations of certain important growth factors. What's impressive is that it can work pretty much anywhere and even in regions where there hasn't been any hair in a long while. I was surprised to see long lost individual ultra-low juvenile hairline hairs pop in even though they were cosmetically useless in quantity.
Refining the treatment, adding an ECM etc like Greco has done is slowly improving the results. In theory the right combination of growth factors could actually lead to massive regrowth but only if the proper "recipe" were used. That was the hype of Histogen but so far they've failed to convince many of us and apparently prospective investors as well.

I like PRP because it's a safe, currently available, though highly inefficient manner of delivering needed growth factors. It really comes down to cost. If you have the money it's a good idea. It's like Kobe Bryant. He can obviously afford any sort of growth factor injection for his knee and if he gains even the slightest improvement it was worth it. But if someone is diligently saving up their hard earned money hoping a PRP injection will "fix" their knee or their hair they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

-Keep us updated!

Exactly, that's a very accurate way to describe it. I know Dr. Greco is always working to improve it as well. He is very excited about his results with CRP. I plan to get injections every 6 months.

He also stated that it may take a couple times to completely reverse already miniaturized hair.

LMS
10-26-2014, 02:33 AM
Will be watching. I think growth factors are the next big step be it prp/aape/histogen. Just to be clear you received Greco's prp and not crp, which is the supposedly improved and further refined and thus more concentrated version of prp.

FearTheLoss
10-26-2014, 11:01 PM
I received his CRP.

LMS
10-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Just a few more questions: is this your first prp/growth factor treatment? And what srt of treatment frequency are you planning, if at all. The reason I ask is because in the AAPE study, which is essentially the same end product as prp just much more concentrated, favourable results only began to really show after the 3rd treatment. Considering the CRP is likely many times less concentrated, it would make sense not to expect a miracle from just one standalone treatment.

Incase you are wondering, this is the study i am referencing: http://www.balancehairrestoration.com/wp-content/uploads/using-proteins-secreted-by-adipose-derived-stem-cells.pdf

Irregardless how it goes, please keep us updated. I have a strong belief that growth factors (a la histogen, prp, aape, adsc) are the next big breakthrough is hair restoration.

cheers bro

Hicks
10-27-2014, 04:42 PM
I got PRP done today with the angel system. I'll be going back in 6 weeks for a check up. Keep you guys posted. I'm on the big 3 for 23 months and I'm 8 months out from my HT which I had Acell and PRP. Hope my diameter thickens and miniaturized hair reverses.

IMO we need to find a way to drive the cost down to $600.

FYI. Keep an eye on my post about clinical trial for PRP. I think it should be finished in December

FearTheLoss
10-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Just a few more questions: is this your first prp/growth factor treatment? And what srt of treatment frequency are you planning, if at all. The reason I ask is because in the AAPE study, which is essentially the same end product as prp just much more concentrated, favourable results only began to really show after the 3rd treatment. Considering the CRP is likely many times less concentrated, it would make sense not to expect a miracle from just one standalone treatment.

Incase you are wondering, this is the study i am referencing: http://www.balancehairrestoration.com/wp-content/uploads/using-proteins-secreted-by-adipose-derived-stem-cells.pdf

Irregardless how it goes, please keep us updated. I have a strong belief that growth factors (a la histogen, prp, aape, adsc) are the next big breakthrough is hair restoration.

cheers bro

I'm planning on getting it done every 6 months until I've reversed the miniaturizing. Dr. Greco recommended 6-12 months, but obviously the more you get it done, the better. I can tell you now, I only see 3-4 hairs in the towel after I dry my hair, I used to see 25+. I know it's working, to what extent, we will see.

Dr. Greco also said it usually takes a couple times to reverse the miniaturizing as its a process.

LMS
10-29-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm planning on getting it done every 6 months until I've reversed the miniaturizing. Dr. Greco recommended 6-12 months, but obviously the more you get it done, the better. I can tell you now, I only see 3-4 hairs in the towel after I dry my hair, I used to see 25+. I know it's working, to what extent, we will see.

Dr. Greco also said it usually takes a couple times to reverse the miniaturizing as its a process.

Those statements seem to be supported by the results of the AAPE study. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Stocione
11-07-2014, 08:06 AM
I had the same treatment done with Greco last tuesday. Noticeably less shedding right now. How you getting along FearTheLoss?

FearTheLoss
11-07-2014, 12:19 PM
I had the same treatment done with Greco last tuesday. Noticeably less shedding right now. How you getting along FearTheLoss?

That's awesome..keep me updated on your progress.

I'm doing well. I went through a period of decreased shedding initially, then I shed a fair amount, and now it's stopped again. I think, however, the hair that I shed was almost all miniaturized hair. I'm hoping that it grows back better in 2 months or so. Dr. Greco said these are good signs and I should expect improvement in the hair characteristics by new year.

joachim
11-07-2014, 12:49 PM

is there any professional documentation done by dr. greco?
PRP has always been very controversial. there are some studies and positive signs that it could work to some extent here and there, but nothing to really get excited about.

if dr. greco was able to improve the whole PRP process, then is he able to provide some good proof with professional documentation from real patients?

Stocione
11-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Yes. Search the interwebs. There are two published papers now. The first shows cessation of hair loss in all 62 patients treated. No control wing. The second is a case study demonstrating new hair growth, not just improve hair character. The new hair growth was only just statistically significant. This is more a treatment to prevent further loss and improve the character of existing hair.

Stocione
11-07-2014, 12:55 PM
After speaking with Dr. Greco, I'm going to be going in for three treatments in a three month window. I want to be aggressive in my treatment and I'm lucky enough to have a job that will make it well within what is affordable. I'll stay in touch, you do the same. I really liked Dr. Greco, whether or not the treatment works as well I hope.

ryan555
11-07-2014, 01:00 PM
I was one of the early adopters of PRP and have been getting the treatment with Dr Greco every 6 months for the last 4 or 5 years. I definitely feel it has helped slow down my hair loss, reverse miniaturization, and improve the quality of my hair. I am not on any meds and my hair loss has been very stable and looks good under a microscope so I don't believe it's a fluke. I also noticed that it has gotten better as I've received more treatments. I haven't had a noticeable shed in two years now and my hair quality has improved drastically.

For those wondering or ready to accuse me, I have absolutely no vested interest in PRP or Dr Greco's practice. It was one of my only treatment options when I had to stop taking all meds for health reasons 5 years ago. It is not cheap or convenient but I do think it's a viable option for people who can afford it.

One more thing - in the last two treatments I have received CRP over the PRP and I do believe it's worth the extra cost. My scalp feels unbelievably healthy, my hair looks and feels full, and I really don't shed at all.

ryan555
11-07-2014, 01:01 PM
That's awesome..keep me updated on your progress.

I'm doing well. I went through a period of decreased shedding initially, then I shed a fair amount, and now it's stopped again. I think, however, the hair that I shed was almost all miniaturized hair. I'm hoping that it grows back better in 2 months or so. Dr. Greco said these are good signs and I should expect improvement in the hair characteristics by new year.

I think part of the problem is that, due to the expense and inconvenience of travel, very few people stick with the treatments on a regular basis. The results have improved for me the more I have been treated.

ryan555
11-07-2014, 01:05 PM
I went through a shed after my initial PRP session, much like when I started minoxidil many years ago. It doesn't happen any more after I receive treatments.

FearTheLoss
11-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Yes, and you have to shed the miniaturized hairs for them to grow back healthier.

FearTheLoss
11-07-2014, 01:52 PM
I should clarify, I did get his new CRP.

Stocione
11-08-2014, 07:48 AM
As did I. I'm going back for my second treatment at the end of November and my third will be at the start of January.

Illusion
11-08-2014, 09:15 AM
I hear people talking about "PRP costs $1000 (for example)", but do they mean $1000 for one treatment +future treatments? I have a hard time believing this, it's probably $1000 for first treatment + additional costs for future treatments, right? If so, how much are those 2nd, 3rd, and so on treatments? Just as expensive or less expensive?

Stocione
11-08-2014, 10:11 AM
That's the cost per treatment. Crp is more expensive though. He does give discounts for repeat users, something like 10% off.

Illusion
11-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Hm that would get pretty expensive indeed. I don't have much knowledge on the subject of PRP and CRP but my understanding was it was basically a boosted minox...

Anyway, I looked up PCP/CRP and it seems that it's only being done in the US (maybe I haven't searched properly enough though). I don't live in the US so I guess I'm not going to undergo this treatment anytime soon (if at all).

Thanks for clarifying things though.

Stocione
11-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Italians also are doing some crp. I'm in a good financial position so I can afford up to 1k a month. Most people get this done once every 8 months

Hicks
11-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Cost depends on the method. Might be $1700 for CRP or Acell. As a group we need to find a way to drive this down so treatments are at least $100 a month. So every 8 month treatment would be $800. Group buys could drive cost down???

ryan555
11-08-2014, 11:49 AM
As did I. I'm going back for my second treatment at the end of November and my third will be at the start of January.

Why would you get them so close together? I don't think you're going to benefit from that and it sure is expensive.

ryan555
11-08-2014, 11:54 AM
It's about $2,000 per year for these treatments, plus travel costs. If I was able to take meds, I would not do these. But, if you have the time and money, can't or don't want to take meds, and are really concerned about hair loss, this is probably your best option.

Stocione
11-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Why would you get them so close together? I don't think you're going to benefit from that and it sure is expensive.

Based on what evidence? Further, Expense is relative.

ryan555
11-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Based on what evidence? Further, Expense is relative.

Based on what doctors have told me. Ask Dr. Greco. I doubt he would even perform the procedure on you monthly.

Stocione
11-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Based on what doctors have told me. Ask Dr. Greco. I doubt he would even perform the procedure on you monthly.

He not only said he would but that he has noted improved results. So uh...
Yeah. Also there are two to three studies showing improved efficacy of growth factor treatments with more frequent applications.

ryan555
11-09-2014, 08:39 AM
He not only said he would but that he has noted improved results. So uh...
Yeah. Also there are two to three studies showing improved efficacy of growth factor treatments with more frequent applications.

Interesting. Alright, I stand corrected. Let us know how it goes. Maybe I should be going more often.

FearTheLoss
11-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I have read that also. I have seen at least 1-2 studies where they did it monthly for the first 3 or so months, and then semiannually to maintain.

Stocione
11-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Hard to sell patients on a 1k treatment a month though. I just am lucky that i've gone into a career path that allows me to afford these treatments at a young age.

ryan555
11-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Hard to sell patients on a 1k treatment a month though. I just am lucky that i've gone into a career path that allows me to afford these treatments at a young age.

I don't mind the cost so much as the travel. Getting to Sarasota from where I live is a royal pain. I usually can only get out there twice a year. If it were in my town, I'd probably go every month or two.

Stocione
11-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Fair enough. Well I'll let you all know how I get on.

FearTheLoss
11-12-2014, 06:05 PM
In the last week, my scalp has begun to feel better than it has in years. I am also not shedding AT ALL. I can run my hand through my hair and typically not have any hairs fall out, whereas before I'd lose numerous (5-10) each time.

Will keep you guys updated, but as of so far, I am a believer in Dr. Greco's CRP.

Justinian
11-12-2014, 09:15 PM
In the last week, my scalp has begun to feel better than it has in years. I am also not shedding AT ALL. I can run my hand through my hair and typically not have any hairs fall out, whereas before I'd lose numerous (5-10) each time.

Will keep you guys updated, but as of so far, I am a believer in Dr. Greco's CRP.

Are you currently on any other treatments or recently stopped any others?

FearTheLoss
11-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Not on any other treatments at all.

hellouser
11-13-2014, 09:53 AM

How much did it cost?

Stocione
11-14-2014, 12:51 PM
My shedding is also way down. It's only been a little over two weeks, so way too early to say anything but that. I don't think i'll see any visible results for another month and a half at the earliest.

Hicks
11-14-2014, 02:13 PM
How much did it cost?

I know your not asking me but as a community we need to find ways to lower prices. The only thing I would think of are group buys. Meaning 10+ members get together for a treatment. To my knowledge there is no standard in PRP treatments, just a bunch of photos/words for propaganda. I hear the treatment process can vary from individuals. Greco has gotten a few grants sense 2007 for the study of PRP. If it wasn't working in anyway I'm sure he would of punted on the idea of PRP or CRP for hair loss.

http://www.orogen.net/case_studies.php

http://www.grecohairrestoration.com/blog/largest-prp-study-hair-loss/

Hicks
11-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Forgot to mention to read the PDF of "Greco Medical Group involved in the largest PRP study for Hair" download and read the entire study.

ryan555
11-14-2014, 08:38 PM
I know your not asking me but as a community we need to find ways to lower prices. The only thing I would think of are group buys. Meaning 10+ members get together for a treatment. To my knowledge there is no standard in PRP treatments, just a bunch of photos/words for propaganda. I hear the treatment process can vary from individuals. Greco has gotten a few grants sense 2007 for the study of PRP. If it wasn't working in anyway I'm sure he would of punted on the idea of PRP or CRP for hair loss.

http://www.orogen.net/case_studies.php

http://www.grecohairrestoration.com/blog/largest-prp-study-hair-loss/

I doubt you're going to successfully get the cost down on the treatment. Firstly, as I understand it, a significant portion of the cost is in the disposable components of the centrifuges used in the processing of the PRP. That high cost is going to be passed on to the patient. Second, Dr Greco seems pretty booked up as it is. His costs have gone up pretty significantly since I started the treatments a few years ago.

Stocione
11-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Why would a successful doctor that is already booking up do a group buy? I mean by all means try! But you'd have to convince 9 other people since the three others in this thread are already customers that he doesn't need to acquire.

Hicks
11-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Why would a successful doctor that is already booking up do a group buy? I mean by all means try! But you'd have to convince 9 other people since the three others in this thread are already customers that he doesn't need to acquire.

Why are you posting on this thread or on the forum? Is it to gain guidance and knowledge then help others? Like you I can absorb lots financially but others can't. I've done 2 PRP treatments not with Greco. This treatment is expensive but like Ryan says there are high cost for the equipment. Keep us in the loop on your progress.

Justinian
11-15-2014, 11:12 AM
He is not completely booked up. I'm sure he has his fair share of customers, but I easily got an appointment for about 2 weeks after I called.

FearTheLoss
11-16-2014, 03:48 PM
How much did it cost?

It depends which kind you decide to do. Further, the price goes down the more you get it, but I believe it was like $1600. As of so far, I believe it is worth it for me, but it's still too early to give my complete opinion on it.

Stocione
11-18-2014, 12:49 PM
If you are prepared to go for this, I recommend the CRP option.

35YrsAfter
11-18-2014, 01:16 PM
I was somewhere between nw2 and 3..some thinning in the crown and receded hairline. It isn't extremely noticeable. It was definitely worsening before the treatment. I have been losing hair for 2 years at a slow rate, however it has picked up in the last 5-6 months.

Have you had PRP done?

I think the reason a lot of people don't see great success with PRP is because they don't go to a reputable PRP doctor, and there's a lot more that goes into PRP than meets the eye. For instance, different factors that cause and hasten hair loss. Further, the differences in peoples' blood.

I'm sure we are going to see an increase in PRP usage in the field of hair loss and an increase in it's efficacy as more research is done on it.

exactamundo

Chuck

FearTheLoss
11-18-2014, 01:22 PM
exactamundo

Chuck

Hey Chuck,
Is doctor Cole doing any studies on prp? I know I've seen some patients of his have success with the treatment.

35YrsAfter
11-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Hey Chuck,
Is doctor Cole doing any studies on prp? I know I've seen some patients of his have success with the treatment.

We do a HairCheck before PRP treatments. If the patient is available for a followup 8-13 months later, we do another HairCheck and at that time compare hair mass numbers with the previous numbers. This way we can calculate the percentage of improvement. Nearly everyone gets some improvement after PRP treatment. Dr. Cole reminded me of the Dr. Merritt study where he started plucking hairs from a full head of hair until there was obvious thinning. It wasn't until over 50% of the hairs were gone that there was noticeable thinning. With this in mind, a 20% PRP treatment improvement isn't going to produce a jaw-dropping impression. According to Dr. Greco, at least in women, regular PRP treatments can "ratchet" improvement in hair caliber forward over time.

Chuck

FearTheLoss
11-18-2014, 03:49 PM
We do a HairCheck before PRP treatments. If the patient is available for a followup 8-13 months later, we do another HairCheck and at that time compare hair mass numbers with the previous numbers. This way we can calculate the percentage of improvement. Nearly everyone gets some improvement after PRP treatment. Dr. Cole reminded me of the Dr. Merritt study where he started plucking hairs from a full head of hair until there was obvious thinning. It wasn't until over 50% of the hairs were gone that there was noticeable thinning. With this in mind, a 20% PRP treatment improvement isn't going to produce a jaw-dropping impression. According to Dr. Greco, at least in women, regular PRP treatments can "ratchet" improvement in hair caliber forward over time.

Chuck

That's great to hear. So you'd say Dr. Cole would also support regular PRP treatments as a effective way to stop the progression of miniaturizing and further hair loss for the majority of people?

MG63
11-20-2014, 06:07 AM
Hi all -- I've been a patient of the Greco Group for more than 3 years, during which time I’ve learned a lot about my hair loss situation what worked and what didn’t as well as the ongoing battle of aging with respect to hair loss.

First a little background, from age 40 to 42 I had over 2200 FUE grafts (by Dr. Cole) that helped to reestablish the front hairline and some of the crown. However, this did leave some sparse areas in the donor area. At the age of 45 the battle of hormones was raging (e.g., Estradiol levels climbing, SHBG and DHT levels were bouncing, free testosterone was good) and scalp fibrosis set in. So as you can imagine the shedding started in crown. So using my research experience, I began looking for a solution that would at least control the hair loss without the use of hormone suppressing drugs or Minoxidil – both of which can have long-term side effects. In addition to controlling hair loss I wanted to maintain healthy hormone levels (e.g., HGH, IGF, Testosterone, SHBG, Estradiol ,etc.) as I believe there is some relationship to aging, hormone imbalance and hair loss. Not a small task, given the amount of zeno estrogens affecting men today.

What I learned about my hair loss issue was that it was a confluence of issues, increase in scalp fibrosis, loss of fatty tissue under my scalp (age-related), increase in DHT and poor blood flow to scalp that was crushing the hair and causing it to miniaturize. In addition, the fibrosis was clearly accelerating because of stress. With all this in mind, I decided to take an offensive approach – balance the hormones and then find a way to rebuild or generate a healthy scalp.

Fortunately, I have a background in nutrition so the hormone balancing (including stress hormones) came easy with natural supplements and diet changes. The next problem became rebuilding the scalp to create a fertile area for blood and follicular stem cells to do their job. Enter PRP, in all the research in scalp regeneration Platelet Rich Plasma, Growth Factors that are in our body kept surfacing as the most obvious approach. After all the body makes platelets and growth factors in great abundance, though it does decrease with age. Convinced this was the optimum approach I began PRP treatment with Dr. Greco, because his GF yield is among the highest in the industry (secret sauce I say). I will add that all the studies I’ve read show that PRP must yield a high concentration of Platelets, Cytokines and Growth, at least 400% more than what the body produces.

So what happen?

Treatment 1 – hair textured improved immediately, existing hairs thicken

Treatment 2 – new hair in crown and existing hair continued to thicken

Treatments 3,4,5 – more hair in crown and some behind transplanted hair line

Over the course of all the treatment the hair loss continue to decrease and is normal.

What I also did between sessions 3-5 I added a new supplement known to boost GF and platelet production I the body – Colostrum. The research on Colostrum is quite significant, it has been used extensively to help heal muscle and cartridge trauma, stop the progression or reverse MS, improve stem cell production and much more. When I switched over to this supplement. Dr. Greco even noted that the amount of platelets in my blood were quite significant. This was an important change in the formulary in my opinion, because as we get older production of platelets declines, more so in men than women. With the decline in platelets comes also a decline in Platelet Derive Growth Factors (PDGF) again for stimulating cell proliferation and differentiation.

So today at age 51, while I do not have the head of hair that I had when I was 20. I do have more hair than I did at 45 and shedding is normal. So mission accomplished thanks to PRP and the Greco Group. There is much more to this story and will do some more writing as time permits

Justinian
11-20-2014, 07:21 AM
\

So what happen?

Treatment 1 – hair textured improved immediately, existing hairs thicken

Treatment 2 – new hair in crown and existing hair continued to thicken

Treatments 3,4,5 – more hair in crown and some behind transplanted hair line

Over the course of all the treatment the hair loss continue to decrease and is normal.

Thanks for sharing your experience. So if you've been a patient for 3 years I take it you go in every 6 months for treatment?

35YrsAfter
11-20-2014, 07:31 AM
The research on Colostrum is quite significant, it has been used extensively to help heal muscle and cartridge trauma, stop the progression or reverse MS, improve stem cell production and much more. When I switched over to this supplement. Dr. Greco even noted that the amount of platelets in my blood were quite significant. This was an important change in the formulary in my opinion, because as we get older production of platelets declines, more so in men than women. With the decline in platelets comes also a decline in Platelet Derive Growth Factors (PDGF) again for stimulating cell proliferation and differentiation.

So today at age 51, while I do not have the head of hair that I had when I was 20. I do have more hair than I did at 45 and shedding is normal. So mission accomplished thanks to PRP and the Greco Group. There is much more to this story and will do some more writing as time permits

Thanks for posting. Do you use colostrum from a human donor such as the product Lee Biosolutions offers (https://www.leebio.com/product/715/colostrum-single-donor-human-1st-week-breast-milk-991-011s)?

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

MG63
11-24-2014, 07:28 AM
that is correct. I have established is preventive approach. Similar to what I take in working with my own patients (I'm a nutritionist). For example clients will have a goal to balance hormones and I say this is a two step process - first is baseline current hormone levels, second devise a protocol (diet, supplementation, etc.) to recognizes the aging process. With that said, I might have to increase frequency to every 4 months as I approach 60 or it could go the other direction whereas I need less because if was diligent in rebuilding the fatty layer below the dermis. Again this is just my perspective.

MG63
11-24-2014, 07:37 AM
I use Bovine Colostrum from the ABS group, which has patented extraction process that yields the highest Immunglobins and Growth Factors. Below are links to the products. For people with milk allergies or concerns about Casein sensitivity, Goat Colostrum is also available on iherb.

http://www.iherb.com/Symbiotics-Colostrum-Plus-Powder-21-oz-595-3-g/4091#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=colostrum%20plus&rc=23&sr=null&ic=5

http://www.iherb.com/Mt-Capra-CapraColostrum-Goat-Milk-Colostrum-120-Capsules/3095#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=Goat%20colostrum&rc=4&sr=null&ic=1

I also use a spray to boost immunity and boost GF. Sub-lingual absorption is quite effective because it by passes the gut and goes straight to blood stream. I applied this topically to a burn - it healed within 24 hours.

http://www.iherb.com/California-Gold-Nutrition-ImmunePEP-Colostrum-Polypeptides-5-07-oz-150-ml/52396#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=colostrum%20spray&rc=2&sr=null&ic=1

35YrsAfter
11-24-2014, 10:41 AM
I use Bovine Colostrum from the ABS group, which has patented extraction process that yields the highest Immunglobins and Growth Factors. Below are links to the products. For people with milk allergies or concerns about Casein sensitivity, Goat Colostrum is also available on iherb.

I also use a spray to boost immunity and boost GF. Sub-lingual absorption is quite effective because it by passes the gut and goes straight to blood stream. I applied this topically to a burn - it healed within 24 hours.

Great to hear about your progress. Could you post some photos?

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com

FearTheLoss
11-24-2014, 11:12 AM

http://www.iherb.com/Symbiotics-Colostrum-Plus-Powder-21-oz-595-3-g/4091#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=colostrum%20plus&rc=23&sr=null&ic=5

http://www.iherb.com/Mt-Capra-CapraColostrum-Goat-Milk-Col
ostrum-120-Capsules/3095#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=Goat%20colostrum&rc=4&sr=null&ic=1

http://www.iherb.com/California-Gold-Nutrition-ImmunePEP-Colostrum-Polypeptides-5-07-oz-150-ml/52396#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=colostrum%20spray&rc=2&sr=null&ic=1

You've got me interested in trying these out and seeing if it makes a difference when i get CRP done again in February

35YrsAfter
11-24-2014, 12:43 PM
The patients I meet with the best hair in spite of a moderate family history of hair loss are generally those who use finasteride and/or dutasteride along with an above average percentage of every topical and supplement known that fights MPB. MPB may be largely due to changes in the scalp itself such as a reduced fatty layer, decreased vascularization, and reduced blood platelet growth factors. It's interesting to note though, that even in the near completely bald areas there are often a few decent caliber hairs that survive the hostile growth environment.

Stocione
11-24-2014, 04:43 PM
I just had my second session done today. I'll go back for my next one at the start of January before going into a 4 or 6 month routine.

I also took a ride in a cab with a driver who sat and raved about greco. Apparently he drives a lot of grecos patients to and from the airport and the general feedback is very good (people complain about price). Anecdote at its finest, but it's probably as valuable as randos on a hair loss forum :)

FearTheLoss
11-24-2014, 04:50 PM
I just had my second session done today. I'll go back for my next one at the start of January before going into a 4 or 6 month routine.

I also took a ride in a cab with a driver who sat and raved about greco. Apparently he drives a lot of grecos patients to and from the airport and the general feedback is very good (people complain about price). Anecdote at its finest, but it's probably as valuable as randos on a hair loss forum :)

Anything to report so far? and how are your conversations with Greco? Has he had anyone go monthly initially like you are?

Stocione
11-24-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm the first with AGA. He's cautiously optimistic but we both understand that it may provide no additional benefit. I saw a reduction in shedding for about a week but it picked up at a worse rate. Too early to say anything.

FearTheLoss
11-24-2014, 11:17 PM
I also saw this initially, now my shedding/hair is in the worst condition of my life. I'm a little over 2 months out, so I guess we will see if this is a good/bad shedding in the next 2 months. However, my scalp became oily and irritated just this last week out of nowhere. Only time will tell.

FearTheLoss
12-08-2014, 07:53 PM
I seem to have been losing quite a lot of hair still. I stopped using liquid minox and am now using foam, although I don't think minox has ever done anything for me. My scalp is definitely in better condition, as it used to itch and hurt frequently, but I think part of that was irritation from the PG in liquid minox.

What do you guys have to report?

I'm now almost 3 months out.

Justinian
12-09-2014, 09:58 PM
I had PRP done several weeks ago. I'm a NW2-3 with diffuse thinning.

I've been shedding quite a bit since the procedure. I'm not entirely sure how much I shed before, though, but I imagine not this much. The only other treatment I'm on is nizoral (started 1-2 months before the PRP treatment).

Since I've heard of sheds on minox/propecia, I'm not too worried. When I see the hairs I like to think of them as the weak/thin ones being shed to get replaced with healthier ones. To me it's a sign that the treatment is doing something (I highly doubt it would have a negative impact on hair, it would either be neutral or positive).

Stocione
12-10-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm back to my regular shedding rate. I'm at about a month and a half right now.

MG63
12-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Below are pics - the one on left is 2010 - 2014 is current.

hellouser
12-16-2014, 06:06 PM

Looks about the same but if that is ALL youre on, its maintained, though im sure maintenance would be at the hands of DHT inhibition if youre on any (probably are).

FearTheLoss
12-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Are you on anything else? And how often and where do you get it done?

MG63
12-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Not on a DHT inhibitor. Using Pine Pollen for Hormone Balance, following the Stephen Buhner model. Also using HIIT to boost HGH levels.

FearTheLoss
12-29-2014, 06:44 PM
At three and a half months it seems as if I have only lost more hair in my crown. I think I'm going to get it done again at 6 months to see if it just takes dedication to the treatment. Also, maybe the first treatment needs more time. Greco said best results at 4/6 months, however, my head seemed to feel better and I was losing almost no hair for the first month or so and then it seems my mpb continued and I have that itch again. I believe there's potential in PRP but it needs to be continued to be studied further and doctors need to refine the treatment.

Now I need to decide if I get my best session at Greco or I try some one like Dr. Wesley. His secretary posted the best PRP result I've seen on a man a few weeks back.

FTL

35YrsAfter
12-30-2014, 07:30 AM
I was losing almost no hair for the first month or so and then it seems my mpb continued and I have that itch again. I believe there's potential in PRP but it needs to be continued to be studied further and doctors need to refine the treatment.FTL

Interesting study (http://www.plosbiology.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pbio.1002002&representation=PDF)

Quote from study:
"It is now firmly established that mature HFs have a distinctive immune system [11,27]. Indeed, both the HF bulb and the HF bulge represent areas of immune privilege [9,11,28], whose collapse gives rise to distinct inflammatory hair loss disorders [10,29]. Interestingly, HFs are constantly in close interaction with immune cells, namely intraepithelially located T lymphocytes and Langerhans cells, and macrophages and mast cells located in the HF’s CTS [15,30–32]."

You may want to ask Dr. Greco about the safety of using a mild topical steroid at this point. Steroid use during PRP treatment has been shown to decrease its effectiveness but steroids have been shown to reduce populations of Skin-Resident Macrophages. The study indicates that a reduced population of Skin-Resident Macrophages signals anagen. This was another mouse study, but could explain why topical steroids have a common listed side effect of "excessive hair growth". Most likely due to decreasing the Skin-Resident Macrophages population and sending follicles into anagen.

StayThick
01-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Not sure why PRP with Dr. Greco is coming back from the grave. Have I missed something here?

I had the procedure done with Dr. Greco and although I will say he is extremely passionate about PRP and it's potential, the main thing I got from him was the potential for this specifically for wound treatment, joint issues, etc.

Prior to the injections, he went on and on about the potential treatment this would provide to the above without really detailing the science and effect on hair. I came away feeling it was too unknown, nowhere near enough data or science behind it for the treatment of hairloss and mostly him using this as a way to throw something on the wall and see if it sticks....and using me and others as guinea pigs in the process. I truly felt that way after my conversation with him and hearing him discuss this treatment.

Bottom line, I didn't come away impressed in the least and he actually decreased my hopes on seeing any possible result after this conversation in person.

To finalize, the PRP treatment with Dr. Greco did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Did nothing in terms of halting any of my hairloss, did nothing in terms of regrowth. It did nothing in terms of my hair feeling "thicker" or "stronger." The only thing it did was decrease my bank account $1,000. Again, I had little to no hope going in (desperate balding guy) and even less hope after my dialogue with Dr. Greco.

This treatment does NOTHING. If you choose to spend your money here all the power to you. I'd argue this treatment doesn't work for women either regardless of what Dr. Greco says. It does nothing. It's a joke.

I can't believe people still fly to get this done and why this treatment is even referred to as one for hairloss. If I didn't live a couple hours away from his office I would have never considered this.

Good luck to anyone that tries this. You heard it hear first. It does NOTHING! Please just save your money I assure you it is NOT effective for anything hairloss related.

bananana
01-03-2015, 03:27 AM
Yet again, there is a video from doctor Wesley proving it works...
I believe the treatment works - just not for everybody.

With DHT blocking (either equol or fin or whatever), this should prove to be beneficial.

DepressedByHairLoss
01-03-2015, 03:47 PM
I don't know, I've always respected Joe Greco for being one of only a handful of HT doctors who is willing to innovate and try something less invasive than hair transplantation. I believe that PRP has some solid science behind it and evidence has been shown that it can work, albeit minimally. I really believe that if Dr. Greco continued to tinker with the PRP formula, perhaps including different growth factors, that it could really yield substantial results.

StayThick, I respect your opinions as you seem like a sensible and thoughtful guy. And I think we share a commonality in that we both get terrible side effects from finasteride and are therefore desperate for another treatment that doesn't mess with our hormones.

Its very good that Dr. Wesley is working with it. Anyone willing to innovate in field that is staggeringly lacking in innovation is a very good thing.

MG63
01-03-2015, 05:42 PM
As a clinical researcher and a PRP recipient. I will say it is a treatment that does work for some, not all. Just like some of the topicals on the market. Since all hairloss is not the result of the same issue (hormone, immune, etc.) and also depends on the degree of loss. For woman the success rate is quite high as confirmed in the international study published in the British Journal of Dermatology.

bananana
01-04-2015, 03:14 AM
As a clinical researcher and a PRP recipient. I will say it is a treatment that does work for some, not all. Just like some of the topicals on the market. Since all hairloss is not the result of the same issue (hormone, immune, etc.) and also depends on the degree of loss. For woman the success rate is quite high as confirmed in the international study published in the British Journal of Dermatology.

Agreed. As @depressedbyhairloss and others mentioned - I believe it's all about perfecting the formula and the way of applying it. Also - it's about "locking in" the ingredients in scalp, where they need to be. We'll see more results probably very soon, I'm also very interested in getting PRP done on myself.

FearTheLoss
01-06-2015, 11:41 PM
I'm getting my second session of PRP done in two weeks. I will be getting microscopic photos taken and hair check to see if it is making any difference for me, and then get these photos/hair check again 6-7 months from now to draw my final conclusion.

Again, PRP is now the only treatment that I'm using on my entire scalp (lipogaine on temples)

PinotQ
01-07-2015, 05:29 AM
I'm getting my second session of PRP done in two weeks. I will be getting microscopic photos taken and hair check to see if it is making any difference for me, and then get these photos/hair check again 6-7 months from now to draw my final conclusion.

Again, PRP is now the only treatment that I'm using on my entire scalp (lipogaine on temples)

FYI I tried PRP with Greceo with no result but later tried PRP Acell with noticeable results which appeared at about the 4 month mark and then started to fade at about the 6 month mark. Not sure what the cost is these days but definitely higher than PRP alone.

35YrsAfter
01-07-2015, 08:27 AM
DHT and genetics, team up to initiate a cascade of unfortunate events. Effective treatment needs to address multiple issues. Until a "homerun" hair loss product is released, we can do a lot to slow AGA and even get some regrowth. I'm encouraged when I see our patients who enjoy success by using multiple known effective treatments and products. IMO, it is possible that DHT initiates a dominant root cause of hair loss that varies from man to man. For some men it could be DHT induced adipose depletion that's responsible for insufficient platelet growth factor signalling. In this case PRP results should be above average. Some men may have a dominant DHT initiated problem with excessive production of PGD2 (prostaglandin D2). In this case PRP may not be very effective. Recent studies discuss the immune system's role in MPB. Occasional use of corticosteroids like hydrocortisone 2.5%, Cordran SP and triamcinolone acetonide have a listed side of excessive hair growth and I believe they inhibit telogen. You shouldn't use topical steroids until about 5 days after PRP, but multiple treatments are going to be the ticket IMO until we see a major breakthrough.

FearTheLoss
01-07-2015, 09:11 PM
FYI I tried PRP with Greceo with no result but later tried PRP Acell with noticeable results which appeared at about the 4 month mark and then started to fade at about the 6 month mark. Not sure what the cost is these days but definitely higher than PRP alone.

I think Dr. Cole charges somewhere around $1300? Chuck can correct me if I'm wrong.

Dr. Wesley charges $1000.

Dr. Greco charges almost $1600

FearTheLoss
01-07-2015, 09:13 PM
By the way, how much later did you try it with Acell? How long after your initial treatment with Greco. Also, who did your PRP with Acell?

PinotQ
01-08-2015, 04:58 AM
By the way, how much later did you try it with Acell? How long after your initial treatment with Greco. Also, who did your PRP with Acell?

It was probably 1 and 1/2 years later from Dr. Cooley. It was just after acell became available in a powder form I believe. The experience was excellent.

Justinian
01-08-2015, 07:12 AM
I think Dr. Cole charges somewhere around $1300? Chuck can correct me if I'm wrong.

Dr. Wesley charges $1000.

Dr. Greco charges almost $1600

Just plain old PRP from Greco is $600. He has two other formulas with a protein matrix and CRP for $1400 and $1695.

35YrsAfter
01-08-2015, 08:06 AM
I think Dr. Cole charges somewhere around $1300? Chuck can correct me if I'm wrong. Dr. Wesley charges $1000. Dr. Greco charges almost $1600

I just spoke with our RN and got some inside scoop on PRP cost. Dr. Cole originally spun PRP on a "Harvest" PRP device. Cytomedix built a more accurate device called the "Angel". The Angel allows doctors to fine tune PRP formulas with greater accuracy. Our RN mentioned that the Harvest system's PRP often causes more swelling than PRP spun on the Angel device. We have found, the actual patient results to be better with the Angel system. Recently, Cytomedix has become Nuo Therapeutics. The management of Nuo Therapeutics has imposed a non-flexible price change for the Angel disposable cartridge packages. The price tripled.

Perhaps Cytomedix bankruptcy history prompted new management to raise prices.

From Bankruptcy to Success Through Licensing:
The Cytomedix Story (http://www.bankruptcylitigationblog.com/Jakubowski-Snell%20Presentation%20for%20LES%202007%20Meeting. pdf)

Dr. Cole's PRP pricing is similar to the prices other doctors are charging. Please call our office for pricing breakdown.

ponder
01-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

Long time reader but new poster here.

After a lot of forum and internet research, I made an appointment see Dr. Prasad in Manhattan previously mentioned here next week for a consultation. He appears to be one of the pioneers in this field for several years, and in discussing with their office the ballpark price for the PRP + Acell treatment, I was quoted somewhere between $3500 and $5000(yes, I know) for a one-time treatment that should be effective for 3-5 years in a best case scenario, though they seem extremely confident in the procedure.

I actually live down the street from the office in NYC so figure hey, can't hurt to get looked at for the price of the consultation fee (that would go towards the treatment if I decide to proceed).

Everyone that mentions him around the 'nets seems to have a favorable opinion of his professionalism and bedside manner, aside from a few complaining about some eyelid surgeries they weren't satisfied with. (shrug)

In any case, any opinions on direct questions I should be asking him? I'll also be happy to field any questions that aren't too crazy to him and report back, I understand the intense research you guys do around here. :)

35YrsAfter
01-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

Long time reader but new poster here.

He appears to be one of the pioneers in this field for several years, and in discussing with their office the ballpark price for the PRP + Acell treatment, I was quoted somewhere between $3500 and $5000(yes, I know) for a one-time treatment that should be effective for 3-5 years in a best case scenario, though they seem extremely confident in the procedure.

One of the top PRP devices is called the "Angel" and it produces accurate PRP formulas. Even though there was a recent triple price increase for the Angel disposable cartridges, a PRP treatment should not be priced higher than the $1,600 range anywhere. $1,600 is a high end price which should include ACell. The benefits of these stand alone treatments usually last for about a year. $3,500 is way too much to pay for PRP treatment unless there's something here I'm missing. I have never heard of the full benefits of PRP/ACell treatment lasting as long as you were quoted.

ponder
01-09-2015, 07:40 AM
One of the top PRP devices is called the "Angel" and it produces accurate PRP formulas. Even though there was a recent triple price increase for the Angel disposable cartridges, a PRP treatment should not be priced higher than the $1,600 range anywhere. $1,600 is a high end price which should include ACell. The benefits of these stand alone treatments usually last for about a year. $3,500 is way too much to pay for PRP treatment unless there's something here I'm missing. I have never heard of the full benefits of PRP/ACell treatment lasting as long as you were quoted.
[/I]

Thanks for the good info 35Yrs, the cost difference is what I noticed reading around too. I thought it was just the usual sticker shock of anything you buy in Manhattan, but I also found a "Dr. Wise" way deep in New Jersey who does the procedure and his office quoted $3000, also needed only once for a few years.

In any case here's the Prasad page talking about the Acell, for what it's worth.
http://nyhairloss.com/hair-regeneration-acell-extracellularmatrix-prp-by-dr-amiya-prasad/

"Upon reviewing treatment data, Dr. Amiya Prasad’s Hair Regeneration treatment has shown to be effective in 99% of male pattern hair loss patients and about 80% of female pattern hair loss patients."

That's total BS percentages right there, except he really does seem positively regarded around the internet, so not sure what to make of this yet.

35YrsAfter
01-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the good info 35Yrs, the cost difference is what I noticed reading around too. I thought it was just the usual sticker shock of anything you buy in Manhattan, but I also found a "Dr. Wise" way deep in New Jersey who does the procedure and his office quoted $3000, also needed only once for a few years.

In any case here's the Prasad page talking about the Acell, for what it's worth.
http://nyhairloss.com/hair-regeneration-acell-extracellularmatrix-prp-by-dr-amiya-prasad/

"Upon reviewing treatment data, Dr. Amiya Prasad’s Hair Regeneration treatment has shown to be effective in 99% of male pattern hair loss patients and about 80% of female pattern hair loss patients."

That's total BS percentages right there, except he really does seem positively regarded around the internet, so not sure what to make of this yet.

I don't have confidence in his claims or his photos. IMO, the optimal "cure" for male pattern baldness will come at a future date in the form of a type of gene therapy. I am more and more convinced that DHT causes multiple problems that inhibit healthy hair growth in areas of scalp genetically predisposed to hair loss. Men with hair loss shouldn't place their hopes on any one currently available treatment. Our patient who has been using dutasteride for years along with Rogaine foam, experienced the best result from stand-alone ACell/PRP treatment, I have seen to date. His HairCheck (http://www.haircheck.com) numbers indicate a significant improvement.

I shot a video of our patient immediately after one of his treatments where he offers his impression of his PRP results:

VIDEO HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlZ_osaP5Yg)

Tooyoungforbalding
01-27-2015, 12:07 PM
I had crp/prp done with Greco late December of 2014. My hairloss is very similar to that described by Feartheloss. NW2-3 with some thinning, but nothing the untrained eye would be able to detect. Right after the treatment I had faith in the prp/crp as my shedding was reduced substantially. Again, one may wonder if that was me being overly enthusiastic as Greco is such a likeable character and he is very knowledgeable in the field of regenerative medicine. But I like to think not, as I am a nitpicker and very rational in my approach to hair loss treatments. But now, 6 weeks after treatment I have to say I am not overly impressed by my results. As of the last 3 days my shedding has not been very intense, but I would say about 2 weeks ago my shedding was fairly substantial. I am not expecting results this early, but it just seems logical to me that the shedding would halt a reasonable amount and that the texture of my hair would be healthier looking than what it is now. I am not taking any other medications, supplements or topicals either.
I would like to stay in contact with you guys as we all seem to share comparable results and similar views.

Justinian
01-27-2015, 02:48 PM
I had crp/prp done with Greco late December of 2014. My hairloss is very similar to that described by Feartheloss. NW2-3 with some thinning, but nothing the untrained eye would be able to detect. Right after the treatments I had faith in the prp/crp as my shedding was reduced substantially. Again, one may wonder if that was me being overly enthusiastic as Greco is such a likeable character and he is very knowledgeable in the field of regenerative medicine. But I like to think not, as I am a nitpicker and very rational in my approach to hair loss treatments. But now, 6 weeks after treatment I have to say I am not overly impressed by my results. As of the last 3 days my shedding has not been very intense, but I would say about 2 weeks ago my shedding was fairly substantial. I am not expecting results this early, but it just seems logical to me that the shedding would halt a reasonable amount and that the texture of my hair would be healthier looking than what it is now. I am not taking any other medications, supplements or topicals either.
I would like to stay in contact with you guys as we all seem to share comparable results and similar views.

You are supposed to see results at around the 4 month mark. That is normal for all hair loss treatments, including minoxidil and finasteride.

Shedding is also normal and often a sign a treatment is working. I'm at the 9 week mark and I've been shedding a lot of small fine hairs. Overall no increase or decrease in density that I notice. I'm hoping the shedding is a sign of it working though.

FearTheLoss
01-30-2015, 12:31 PM
I just had my aunt who's a physician give me a PRP treatment with Acell this time. It's been 10 days and I'm shedding LIKE CRAZY. Hopefully this is a good sign.

The crpi had done at Greco didn't give me any noticeable regrowth, however it did stop the itching in my head and it may have slowed my loss down. I'll continue to get PRP 1-2 more times before I make my final judgement. Dr Greco said it usually takes a few times before miniaturization can be reversed. Hopefully he is right.

Updates to come.

hellouser
01-30-2015, 12:35 PM
I just had my aunt who's a physician give me a PRP treatment with Acell this time. It's been 10 days and I'm shedding LIKE CRAZY. Hopefully this is a good sign.

The crpi had done at Greco didn't give me any noticeable regrowth, however it did stop the itching in my head and it may have slowed my loss down. I'll continue to get PRP 1-2 more times before I make my final judgement. Dr Greco said it usually takes a few times before miniaturization can be reversed. Hopefully he is right.

Updates to come.

Thanks for the update! Please keep us informed =D

FearTheLoss
01-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the update! Please keep us informed =D

No problem, and remember PRP therapy is pretty much my only treatment. I still use minox (have been for 2 years now) but it has never given me any regrowth and I continued to lose ground on it. Fin at low doses (tried three different times) gave me sexual sides I'm still suffering from. I've never had sides from any other drug I've used in my life except fin.

nameless
02-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Those statements seem to be supported by the results of the AAPE study. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

AAPE is not the same thing as PRP or CRP.You can't apply the results of one to another.

nameless
02-01-2015, 10:00 AM

I think that if it works at all he would probably get better results if he got them close together.

For example, it looks like Histogen works better with repeat treatment dates and it looks like in the AAPE study they did the treatments more often than every 6 or 8 months. I also think that in healthy the follicles are receiving the growth factors more often than once per 6 months.

nameless
02-01-2015, 10:08 AM
exactamundo

Chuck

Chuck, the problem with PRP and CRP is that neither contain all of the correct growth factors and proteins. AAPE and Histogen are the correct growth factors and proteins but a few years ago I read about what is inside of PRP and CRP and neither contain the correct growth factors and proteins. For example, the article I read said that there are none of the key Wnts in either PRP or CRP. You can't just use any ole growth factors and proteins; it has to be the right growth factors and proteins.

Since the correct growth factors and proteins are not inside of CRP or PRP I'm highly skeptical of both.

nameless
02-01-2015, 10:16 AM

Chuck

PRP and CRP contains some growth factors but if it has any of the CORRECT growth factors it is not very many. For example, I read that there are ZERO Wnts in either CRP or PRP. The correct growth factors are the growth factors inside of AAPE. Yale university determined that the growth factors in AAPE are the correct growth factors and proteins. Histogen also contains the correct growth factors and proteins. If you compare what growth factors are in PRP/CRP versus the growth factors in AAPE/Histogen then you will see that they are not the same. You can't use any ole growth factors and proteins; it has to be the correct growth factors and proteins.

LMS
02-01-2015, 11:46 PM
AAPE is not the same thing as PRP or CRP.You can't apply the results of one to another.

they both contain various growth factors at various concentrations. jesus why are you such a pedant. i wasnt implying one is the same as the other.

FearTheLoss
02-18-2015, 09:58 PM
PRP hasn't been enough to stop my hair loss. Does it help, yes I believe so. My shedding is overall slightly less and my scalp is less inflamed. Not a miracle treatment but if you can afford it it's somewhat helpful.

nameless
02-18-2015, 11:48 PM
they both contain various growth factors at various concentrations. jesus why are you such a pedant. i wasnt implying one is the same as the other.

I'm just stating fact. I'm pedantic because you seem to not realize you can not possibly expect the same results from these entirely different treatments.

FACT: AAPE and PRP do not contain entirely the same growth factors. Many key growth factors in AAPE are not in PRP. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges or finasteride and apple cider.

x4342
02-19-2015, 01:51 AM
I appreciate it. I'm considering contacting Greco pretty soon.
I can afford it and my expectations are reasonable.

Have you noticed anything from your other PRP with Acell treatment?

PinotQ
02-19-2015, 05:07 AM
I appreciate it. I'm considering contacting Greco pretty soon.
I can afford it and my expectations are reasonable.

Have you noticed anything from your other PRP with Acell treatment?

FYI I have done PRP alone, PRP w/ acell (before powder) and PRP after they came out w/ Powder Acell (I think the powder mixes more consistently with the PRP and doesn't clump). The only one that worked was the latter and I saw definite visible improvement .....not dramatic in terms of new visible hair but just enough to see visible evidence that it was working and I wasn't going backward. If you looked very closely, it wasn't that I was growing new hair but that some of the very fine almost invisible weak hairs had become darker, thicker and longer. It takes about 4 months to see anything. My existing hairs became thicker and more robust as well. At least in my experience, I felt the injections started losing effect somehwhere bewteen 6 and 9 months....so you would likely need injections at least once per year. I recently had another treatment. When I did my first PRP/powder acell treatment it was $1,500 but it is now $2,500 so it is not cheap. Also, I have had each of the 3 types of treatments with different doctors and by far, in my opinion, Dr. Cooley was the best. (the last 2 PRP/Acell powder treatments w/ Cooley).

FearTheLoss
02-19-2015, 09:54 AM
FYI I have done PRP alone, PRP w/ acell (before powder) and PRP after they came out w/ Powder Acell (I think the powder mixes more consistently with the PRP and doesn't clump). The only one that worked was the latter and I saw definite visible improvement .....not dramatic in terms of new visible hair but just enough to see visible evidence that it was working and I wasn't going backward. If you looked very closely, it wasn't that I was growing new hair but that some of the very fine almost invisible weak hairs had become darker, thicker and longer. It takes about 4 months to see anything. My existing hairs became thicker and more robust as well. At least in my experience, I felt the injections started losing effect somehwhere bewteen 6 and 9 months....so you would likely need injections at least once per year. I recently had another treatment. When I did my first PRP/powder acell treatment it was $1,500 but it is now $2,500 so it is not cheap. Also, I have had each of the 3 types of treatments with different doctors and by far, in my opinion, Dr. Cooley was the best. (the last 2 PRP/Acell powder treatments w/ Cooley).

My most recent was with acell, how do you know if it's powder or not? I had it 6 weeks ago

PinotQ
02-19-2015, 12:22 PM
My most recent was with acell, how do you know if it's powder or not? I had it 6 weeks ago

I would think most doctors are using the powder now but you might ask your doctor. I don't think that it's that the powder is really any more effective, its just easier to work with and therefore may be more consistent in application.........but that's just my amateur interpretation. In my opinion it really had more to do with the doctor. The first time it was just PRP with zero benefit. The next time it was with acell but the doctor seemed more focused on the PRP than the acell...with no benefit. And it didn't seem to me that this doctor, although very nice, knew what he was really doing. With Cooley, he just seemed like he knew a lot more, he had different instructions post procedure and he said you won't see a thing until about 4 months. And he was exactly right.

FearTheLoss
02-19-2015, 01:20 PM
What were your post procedure instructions?

Cooley has a high price, I only paid $1k for mine.

PinotQ
02-19-2015, 03:32 PM
What were your post procedure instructions?

Cooley has a high price, I only paid $1k for mine.

The main thing was not to use ibuprofen as it can interfere with the regeneration process. Use Tylenol instead. And, not that it affected the efficacy, but the prp/acell is injected in your scalp so you do not need to leave the dried blood on your scalp for 24 to 48 hours. Not very convenient, especially when it doesn't help. I don't remember exactly what I paid for my first PRP/Acell treatment but I am sure it was at least $1,500. $1,000 seems extremely low. I'm not in a position nor do I have the expertise to make any realistic assessments on what the differences are between the various doctors but 2 points that come to mind are the amount of acell used and the depth and number of injections. I'm sure that plays into the efficacy. I'm just experimenting and trying to see if things work like everyone else on here so I will keep you updated on my progress. But I am months away from seeing if this treatment works as well as the last one. Good luck on yours!

Tooyoungforbalding
02-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Did you shed before you saw any results? After having the procedure done 2 months ago I am still shedding quite substantially. At this point I just can´t see this treatment helping at all. Would you say that the more prp-acell treatments you get, the more the quality of your hair improves?

PinotQ
02-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Did you shed before you saw any results? After having the procedure done 2 months ago I am still shedding quite substantially. At this point I just can´t see this treatment helping at all. Would you say that the more prp-acell treatments you get, the more the quality of your hair improves?

I noticed just a little shedding. But shedding 2 months in would not be inconsistent with something that is working. Especially since this procedure works in a more regenerative than a maintenance way. The one thing I can say is that even at 3 months in, I didn't think the treatment was working either as I saw absolutely no sign of any benefit. Since this was my third variation of the treatment and with no results from the prior 2, I wasn't holding out much hope at the time. It was 4 months for me that I saw definite improvement. If you had the procedure done correctly, I would find it hard to believe you won't see a benefit. In my opinion, the negative thing about this type of treatment is that you have to do it at least once a year and maybe even every 6-8 months so it is expensive. Can I ask who did your procedure?

ThinFast
02-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Is there anywhere on this site (on in the PRP subforum) that lists all the doctors that do PRP? I've been reading up on it again and may give it another shot, I'd like to see feedback on the differences between the practices offering it. I've had it done once back in August of 2010 at Dr. Greco's. Back then he was branding the injections I received as his PRP+Protein Matrix. I assume that the PRP+acell and CRP are different and represent advances in the field since I went in 2010. Also, I realize it was only one session that I received back then, but I saw no benefits whatsoever. In regards to doctors that I know offer some type of PRP product, I have: Bauman, Greco, Cole, Wesley, and Cooley.

Tooyoungforbalding
02-22-2015, 11:43 AM
I noticed just a little shedding. But shedding 2 months in would not be inconsistent with something that is working. Especially since this procedure works in a more regenerative than a maintenance way. The one thing I can say is that even at 3 months in, I didn't think the treatment was working either as I saw absolutely no sign of any benefit. Since this was my third variation of the treatment and with no results from the prior 2, I wasn't holding out much hope at the time. It was 4 months for me that I saw definite improvement. If you had the procedure done correctly, I would find it hard to believe you won't see a benefit. In my opinion, the negative thing about this type of treatment is that you have to do it at least once a year and maybe even every 6-8 months so it is expensive. Can I ask who did your procedure?

Thanks for insightful answers PinotQ. I had PRP/CRP done with Dr. Greco. So I do believe I have had the treatment done right. He told me to expect results at the 4-6 month mark, which resonates with what you are saying. I do remember him stressing the fact about coming over for three treatments within 18 months for optimal results. I guess its all about being patient, though I am finding it rather hard with all this hair constantly falling out.

Tooyoungforbalding
02-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Is there anywhere on this site (on in the PRP subforum) that lists all the doctors that do PRP? I've been reading up on it again and may give it another shot, I'd like to see feedback on the differences between the practices offering it. I've had it done once back in August of 2010 at Dr. Greco's. Back then he was branding the injections I received as his PRP+Protein Matrix. I assume that the PRP+acell and CRP are different and represent advances in the field since I went in 2010. Also, I realize it was only one session that I received back then, but I saw no benefits whatsoever. In regards to doctors that I know offer some type of PRP product, I have: Bauman, Greco, Cole, Wesley, and Cooley.

I am only aware of the doctors listed above. I wish I could give you a review of my treatment at Greco, but I am only 2 months in. I do not have any prior treatments of this nature to compare with either. All I can say is that Greco is a very knowledgeable and kind man, and I will be surprised if this treatment does not give any positive results.

PinotQ
02-22-2015, 12:46 PM
I am only aware of the doctors listed above. I wish I could give you a review of my treatment at Greco, but I am only 2 months in. I do not have any prior treatments of this nature to compare with either. All I can say is that Greco is a very knowledgeable and kind man, and I will be surprised if this treatment does not give any positive results.

Greco is a great guy but I absolutely think you need acell for the treatment to work on most people for androgenic alopecia. I think prp alone works more for alopecia areata and on women. I think it is the acell that is doing the work and prp is a vehicle and maybe provides a little boost. You might try doing a phone consult with Dr. Cooley. He does not advertise this treatment on his website...........very low key about it.

Tooyoungforbalding
02-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Greco is a great guy but I absolutely think you need acell for the treatment to work on most people for androgenic alopecia. I think prp alone works more for alopecia areata and on women. I think it is the acell that is doing the work and prp is a vehicle and maybe provides a little boost. You might try doing a phone consult with Dr. Cooley. He does not advertise this treatment on his website...........very low key about it.

I should have added that I did get the PRP/CRP in conjunction with his in house ECM. Which essentially is a protein matrix like acell, just derived from your own blood and not stem cells from a pig bladder. As far as I am concerned I could imagine the two being similar. Again, my knowledge is limited.

Justinian
02-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks for insightful answers PinotQ. I had PRP/CRP done with Dr. Greco. So I do believe I have had the treatment done right. He told me to expect results at the 4-6 month mark, which resonates with what you are saying. I do remember him stressing the fact about coming over for three treatments within 18 months for optimal results. I guess its all about being patient, though I am finding it rather hard with all this hair constantly falling out.

I also had PRP with Greco and just hit the 3 month mark. I do not have any cosmetically visible difference yet and was told the 4 month mark was when I should see something too. I have also been shedding a lot of what I think are small/thin hairs, although it's tough for me to tell because my hair is really light.

PinotQ
02-23-2015, 05:33 AM
Good Luck guys! Let me know what you think in another month or so.

FearTheLoss
03-08-2015, 03:50 PM
2 months after PRP Acell, I'm shedding like CRAZY..one of the worst sheds I have ever had..so either I'm losing hair at a more rapid pace or I'm responding well to this treatment..I guess we will see in two months.

PinotQ
03-09-2015, 03:51 AM
2 months after PRP Acell, I'm shedding like CRAZY..one of the worst sheds I have ever had..so either I'm losing hair at a more rapid pace or I'm responding well to this treatment..I guess we will see in two months.

I've never heard of PRP/Acell ever causing hairloss, so I would think your shedding could only be a good sign! Who did your injections?

Reign
03-09-2015, 10:48 AM
FTL, where did you go to have it done?

Blushark
03-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Not on any other treatments at all.

Can you post before and after photos? Would be interested to see where it all stand now. The whole shedding thing freaks me out but maybe that's what we have to go through to grow in better hair.

Thanks,
Brian

Tooyoungforbalding
03-23-2015, 01:31 PM
I also had PRP with Greco and just hit the 3 month mark. I do not have any cosmetically visible difference yet and was told the 4 month mark was when I should see something too. I have also been shedding a lot of what I think are small/thin hairs, although it's tough for me to tell because my hair is really light.

How is it working out? Have you seen any difference yet? Shedding varies on my part. Some days good, some days bad. I have no visible improvement now at the three month mark, but, I have noticed small thin hairs on my hairline. I am just skeptical as to whether they are a result of the PRP or they are just thinning.

FearTheLoss
03-23-2015, 02:02 PM
I would say my CRP with Dr. Greco was useless. It did not stop my loss or bring any regrowth whatsoever. I'm two months out of my first PRP/ACELL and I've lost a lot of hair, I guess we will see in 2 more months if this is shedding because the treatment is working, or if my mpb just accelerated.

kantian
03-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Thanks for your updates FearTheLoss. I was thinking of spending $3000 on this treatment, and your experience has brought me back to reality on this treatment.

FearTheLoss
03-23-2015, 02:07 PM
I would wait a couple more months, I have seen it work for some people and I know just about every doctor does it differently.

I'll give you my final judgement on PRP in May. I know it definitely has it's place in the field of hair restoration, it just needs to be studied more and fine tuned.

kantian
03-23-2015, 02:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhmT9VJRFJQ

That doctor, Amiya Prasad, charges $3500 and claims that his treatment is necessary only once every 3 years. He has a very slick marketing campaign, and I can't tell if he's trying to scam us.

He uses PRP and "extracellular matrix" along with vitamin D. If it really is only necessary once every 3 years, I'll do it. But I need some confidence that he's not a scam artist.

FearTheLoss
03-23-2015, 02:30 PM
I would 100% say he is a scam artist. I would NOT get it done with the doctor you linked. I promise you that is not legit.

asianguy
03-23-2015, 09:36 PM
I am 3 months post OP with my second FUE transplant with PRP and experienced a lot of shockloss/shedding compared to my first procedure without prp and wonder if it's due to the prp injection..

bananana
03-24-2015, 12:46 AM
I would 100% say he is a scam artist. I would NOT get it done with the doctor you linked. I promise you that is not legit.

Why do you think that?

FearTheLoss
03-24-2015, 09:51 AM
No stand alone treatment could give results like that after one injection for 3 years. No ethical doctor will promise this treatment can work like that, or promise it works for everyone. If someone was having success like that it'd be all over the news.

kantian
04-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Any updates, FTL?

FearTheLoss
04-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I've continued to lose hair. I'd have to say at this point PRP has been a failure for me.

robincurtz
04-11-2015, 01:28 PM
did u tried fin????

FearTheLoss
04-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Yes, I had horrific sides on fin..and still haven't recovered completely. They are very real.

I wish I could tolerate the drug.

diffuseloser
04-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the update FTL. Sorry to hear PRP hasn't worked for you. Agree that fin is not to be trifled with I'm scared of it. Hope you recover fully.

FearTheLoss
04-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Yeah, at this point I'm starting to doubt I ever will, but who knows. It's unfortunate without a doubt. However, I'm going to be closely watching CB results in the next year as well as setipiprant, so hopefully we will have a finasteride alternative soon enough.

I still think PRP has some merit, however, it needs to be fine-tuned.

asianguy
04-13-2015, 01:23 AM
Yes, I had horrific sides on fin..and still haven't recovered completely. They are very real.

I wish I could tolerate the drug.

What dosage and frequency were you taking?

FearTheLoss
04-13-2015, 07:53 AM
Dosage and frequency really doesn't matter as .1mg of finasteride suppresses DHT close to the same amount as a whole mg.

I tried using 1mg daily, 1mg every other day, and 1mg every 3 days.

I tried the same frequencies with .5mg, .25mg and .1mg without success.

FearTheLoss
04-16-2015, 08:04 AM
In hindsight, I wish I'd have tried a few more times at Dr. Greco's, because I hypothesize the treatment is compoundable. It may take a few times to completely stop your loss, then a few more times to start seeing regrowth.

I still believe there is merit to the treatment, we just desperately need more doctors to study it.

Hicks
04-16-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm doing a minimum of 3 treatments. I'll add ACELL to my next treatment. IMO it's next to impossible to tell if treatment is working. Are you maintaining and you might of lost more hair without? Are you coming off a shed and a normal hair cycle loss like regrowth? Are you going into a shed? I'll be heading back in in August. Best of luck everyone!

kantian
04-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Hey FTL, how did you go about picking your doctor? I would like to go ahead with PRP because I am seeing some studies showing that it has a positive effect on average. But I'm not sure how to actually pick a suitable doctor to perform this because there are some scam artists as we have seen.

FearTheLoss
04-20-2015, 05:24 PM
I chose Dr. Greco in Florida. He's definitely the man to go to for PRP

kantian
04-20-2015, 05:27 PM
But is there a way to get a list of reputable doctors who do PRP?

kantian
04-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Also, how much did you pay for CRP?

Blushark
04-21-2015, 09:05 PM
I chose Dr. Greco in Florida. He's definitely the man to go to for PRP

I called and inquired about PRP at dr. Bernstein's office located in NYC and they said that they do offer PRP treatments but do not use ACELL b/c there is evidence that it causes inflammatory response in some individuals...has anyone heard or read about this claim elsewhere?

MG63
04-22-2015, 10:49 AM
In hindsight, I wish I'd have tried a few more times at Dr. Greco's, because I hypothesize the treatment is compoundable. It may take a few times to completely stop your loss, then a few more times to start seeing regrowth.

I still believe there is merit to the treatment, we just desperately need more doctors to study it.

One of the most challenging issues with male or female hair loss is diagnosis and the solution. Because more often than not, the cause and solution is not a one time or single mode approach. At least this has been my personal experience and the experience I've had in helping clients.

Magster
06-24-2015, 11:44 AM
FearTheLoss,

Do you feel that the shed you got from PRP/CRP left you in a worse position had you never gotten it?

Magster
06-24-2015, 11:48 AM
FearTheLoss,

Do you feel that the shed you got from PRP/CRP left you in a worse position had you never gotten it?

Vic
06-24-2015, 01:05 PM
My experience was very similar to yours FearTheLoss. I had a HUGE shed at around the 2 month mark after my 1st PRP treatment. By the 6th month I had gained it all back and some. I didn't have the same experience with shedding after my 2nd treatment.

TooMuchHairWontKillYou
06-24-2015, 01:19 PM
I had 6 pprp injections (1 in every 2 weeks)

Now I'm in worse condition than I was before pprp. But I don't blame the treatment. I think my mpb is aggressive and my condition could be even worse without pprp.

Its third week after my last procedure.

Magster
06-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Vic,

How long did the shedding last? Was it just thin, weak hairs? So the hair you lost came back, but overall what kind of gains do feel you had?

Are you young by any chance? I guess I am thinking that a younger person's hair will always come back to one extent or another if the hair cycle is disrupted rather then the progression of AGA.

Was the treatment worth it to you? Thanks!

Vic
06-24-2015, 01:25 PM
I had 6 pprp injections (1 in every 2 weeks)

Now I'm in worse condition than I was before pprp. But I don't blame the treatment. I think my mpb is aggressive and my condition could be even worse without pprp.

Its third week after my last procedure.

That's a lot of trauma to your scalp. My treatments were 6 months apart. Also, you don't see any benefits from PRP till about 2 months after treatment. Just calculating the time line and treatments you mentioned, you just barely passed the 2 month mark by 1 week...right?

TooMuchHairWontKillYou
06-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Its almost 4 month from the first procedure and third week from the last one.

Vic
06-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Vic,

How long did the shedding last? Was it just thin, weak hairs? So the hair you lost came back, but overall what kind of gains do feel you had?

Are you young by any chance? I guess I am thinking that a younger person's hair will always come back to one extent or another if the hair cycle is disrupted rather then the progression of AGA.

Was the treatment worth it to you? Thanks!

I was 33 when I had my 1st PRP treatment. My shed started about 1 month after the treatment and lasted into the 2nd month but then one day the shedding just stopped and I lost next to no hair at all. My shed was so aggressive I thought the PRP didn't work and I was destined to be bald. I paid $1600 per treatment. That's a lot for the results I saw.
Recently I came across an old thread about Derma rolling and Rogaine and gave that a shot. I've experienced MUCH better results using a 1.5 Derma Roller with Rogaine then I did with 2 PRP treatments. So I'd say PRP isn't worth it because a $20 Derma Roller and a $50, 3 month supply of Rogaine has done more for me then $3200 worth of PRP.

I lost all kinds of hair, thin to full terminal.

Vic
06-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Its almost 4 month from the first procedure and third week from the last one.

It wasn't until the 4th month that I saw any benefit from PRP. I honestly didn't even notice progress because I was looking at my hair every single day. I had multiple people ask me if I had colored my hair. That's how I knew it was working.

Actually my shedding stopped after the 2nd month, that's a benefit I did notice.

Magster
06-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the details Vic. I am glad that you are getting a better result without have to shell out that kind of money. I also think a dermaroller is a great tool. Now I am wondering if you started minoxidil for the first time when you started dermarolling? Hoping you will say that you have been on minoxidil for years :)

Vic
06-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the details Vic. I am glad that you are getting a better result without have to shell out that kind of money. I also think a dermaroller is a great tool. Now I am wondering if you started minoxidil for the first time when you started dermarolling? Hoping you will say that you have been on minoxidil for years :)

Thanks! Me Too. It was almost time for my 3rd PRP treatment when I started. Nope, started using Rogaine when I started Derma Rolling 5-6 weeks ago.

Why were you hoping I started years ago?

Magster
06-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Vic,

Because if you had been using minoxidil for years and just introduced the dermaroller and getting much better results, it would give those of us whose positive benefit from minoxidil has plateaued or no longer really effective, reason to think a derma roller might jump start the minoxidil to have a positive effect again.

I think you will get a lot more regrowth from what you are doing then you are even seeing right now. Minoxidil can be amazing for regrowth, and a derma roller will only compound its effects. Best of luck!

jamesst11
06-24-2015, 03:03 PM
I have reasons to believe that PRP may induce telogen effluvium... but who knows, I am really paranoid about TE to begin with.

Vic
06-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Nice, thanks for the info! I'm very optimistic from what I've seen so far. Hope you are right!
But doesn't Rogaine take several months to start working?

Magster
06-24-2015, 03:40 PM
I have reasons to believe that PRP may induce telogen effluvium... but who knows, I am really paranoid about TE to begin with.

Hey Jamesst11. I suspect the same. What is your reason? Have you spoken to someone who experienced that?

jamesst11
06-24-2015, 06:31 PM
No, but a hair transplant, while drastically different, induced a horrible TE in me. TE in response to physical injury is extremely common. Given that the injury is occurring right on your scalp seemingly wouldn't help. I had TE from an HT, from tearing my knee, from knee surgery, etc... some of us have a more sensitive physiology than others when it comes to this. I personally believe the injury of puncturing your scalp multiple times is significant enough to induce this. I am NOT a doctor though. :)

FearTheLoss
06-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Yeah I do, I probably won't be doing it again, as I haven't even maintained at this point.

epipapilla
06-28-2015, 01:50 PM
TE in response to physical injury is extremely common. Given that the injury is occurring right on your scalp seemingly wouldn't help. I had TE from an HT, from tearing my knee, from knee surgery, etc... some of us have a more sensitive physiology than others when it comes to this. I personally believe the injury of puncturing your scalp multiple times is significant enough to induce this. I am NOT a doctor though. :)

I think that would depend on how deep the puncturing goes, and also on the frequency of the puncturing. Unfortunately, there is not much data or scientific studies regarding the best frequency of using such treatments which cause wounding to the scalp.

Blushark
07-24-2015, 10:55 AM
I was 33 when I had my 1st PRP treatment. My shed started about 1 month after the treatment and lasted into the 2nd month but then one day the shedding just stopped and I lost next to no hair at all. My shed was so aggressive I thought the PRP didn't work and I was destined to be bald. I paid $1600 per treatment. That's a lot for the results I saw.
Recently I came across an old thread about Derma rolling and Rogaine and gave that a shot. I've experienced MUCH better results using a 1.5 Derma Roller with Rogaine then I did with 2 PRP treatments. So I'd say PRP isn't worth it because a $20 Derma Roller and a $50, 3 month supply of Rogaine has done more for me then $3200 worth of PRP.

I lost all kinds of hair, thin to full terminal.

Vic:

Are you sure that the results you saw were from the roller and minox and not a delayed reaction to PRP?...didn't you say you started the roller regiment soon after your last PRP treatments?

Rocobama
08-14-2015, 12:51 PM
feartheloss

i'm sorry prp didn't work but it seems that you haven't done much research about hair loss treatments. there are several treatments that you should have tried first before jumping to prp. here is a list of hair loss treatment that are effective.

finasteride
minoxidil
laser comb or therapy
minoxidil + microneedle roller+ retinoids cream
ketoconazole/nizoral shampoo

since finasteride gave you side effects and minoxidil didn't work, get yourself a hairmaxx laser comb. base on reviews from people using it, laser comb stop hairloss and regrows some hair on the top of your hair. it takes 9 months to see some results but you'll stop shedding hair within 2 months.
if you would like to stop shedding earlier, start using nizoral shampoo. it contains 1% ketoconazole, an active ingredient for danruff but also strenghens hair. personalty, I am prescribed to take hormones that contain dht proprieties. finasteride can only inhibit the convertion of testosterone to dht; it can do nothing for other dht derived hormones. therefore, I have to use other treatments. I bought the hairmaxx laser comb 8 months ago but was too lazy to use it. as for minoxidil, I used it alone for 2 years on my hairline before I was taking hormones. minoxidil just gave me baby hair and thats it. but it did prevent losing my hairline. I started using nizoral shampoo after I started shedding hair excessively due to taking hormones for medical reasons; I can tell you that I stopped shedding the first day I used it.
you need a laser comb/helmet and nizoral shampoo right away if you don't want to go bald.
good luck

rivera89
02-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Hello

Thanks for sharing your PRP experience . I had it a week ago and my hair loss is worse than before . Did you hair loss improve ? How many treatments did you do ? I have been experiencing a severe hair loss for 8 months already . It is so distressing . Thank you

rivera89
02-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Hello

Thanks for sharing your PRP experience . I had it a week ago and my hair loss is worse than before . Did you hair loss improve ? How many treatments did you do ? I have been experiencing a severe hair loss for 8 months already . It is so distressing . Thank you

rivera89
02-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Hello

How many PRP did you have in total ? And how often ? I recently had it and I feel the PRP made my hair loss worse ? I just had it 4 days ago . It is horrible to waste money but it is more distressing to make my situation worse. Any thoughts ?

rivera89
02-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Do you have less hair than when you did the PRP ? I read on your previews post that PRP caused you to have a severe hair loss ... I appreciate your input

Yeah I do, I probably won't be doing it again, as I haven't even maintained at this point.

Vic
02-29-2016, 08:42 AM
After my 1st treatment, only improvement I saw came at around the 4 month mark in the form of peach fuzz. My shed pretty much stopped at the 4 month mark too. My 2nd treatment was 6 months after the 1st and didn't cause as much of a shed but also only grew more peach fuzz.

dlc32
04-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Hi all, I'm a fellow MPB sufferer and I had the Prasad ACELL injection treatment done about 13 months ago. I'm a NW2 also suffering from diffuse thinning. Here is my experience:

So I noticed that my hair had started to recede about a year ago but, worse, I noticed that the hair fibers themselves were thinning. The recession I could deal with but the thinning was bad. I immediately did my research and decided not to go the finasteride route. I appreciate that many guys on this forum are on propecia and haven't had any side effects and for those guys I'm very happy but it just wasn't worth the "risk" for me. I also decided not to use minoxidil either due to the twice daily maintenance- my work is client based and going in everywhere with greasy matted hair just wouldn't fly with my boss. Consequently I did some heavy research online and stumbled across Dr. Prasad's website. Long story short, I decided to pull the trigger and get the injections. 3 months later: no results. 6 months later: no results and, in fact, the situation seemed to be getting worse. 9 months later: same. After 9 months I decided that I'd been screwed out of money and that the ACELL injections were a huge scam. I then visited my dermatologist and a few other doctors who told me that the science behind PRP/ACELL is weak and that I should've consulted with them first. At that point I immediately started using RU58841 on a nightly basis (I had read about hellouser's success as well as Chris's review on good looking loser). For two weeks after RU58841 I noticed significant shedding which then slowed. Now, 13 months after the injections my hair has completely thickened up and I'm barely shedding in the shower. I don't know what to attribute it to, the injections or the RU. Friends of mine who haven't seen me in a while have commented on the thickness of my hair. But the real proof comes from my 1-year follow up appointment with Dr. Prasad. I had scheduled it months before, looking forward to telling him off and making a huge scene when the microscopic images (he takes microscopic pictures of your scalp to map your progress) showed significant thickening. Believe me, nothing would please me more to say that I was led on and the whole ACELL thing was a scam but, frankly, I've never read a review of someone using only RU58841 who claims to have gotten such significant thickening. Most reviews I've read of RU58841 claim maintenance at best. Actually, I was hoping some of you gentlemen could help me discern what was the silver bullet here. I'm continuing to apply RU58841 as I don't know how long these results will last; Dr. Prasad's staff claims approximately 5 years.

My suggestion: Try using RU58841 for a few months before getting the ACELL injections. And if you do get the injections, don't except results immediately. His office shows this pictures of people who experience ridiculously drastic thickening in 3 months and that's just not realistic.

79BirdofPrey
04-15-2016, 06:26 AM
My suggestion: Try using RU58841 for a few months before getting the ACELL injections. And if you do get the injections, don't except results immediately. His office shows this pictures of people who experience ridiculously drastic thickening in 3 months and that's just not realistic.

Thanks for your share!

PinotQ
06-28-2016, 05:35 AM
Hi all, I'm a fellow MPB sufferer and I had the Prasad ACELL injection treatment done about 13 months ago. I'm a NW2 also suffering from diffuse thinning. Here is my experience:

So I noticed that my hair had started to recede about a year ago but, worse, I noticed that the hair fibers themselves were thinning. The recession I could deal with but the thinning was bad. I immediately did my research and decided not to go the finasteride route. I appreciate that many guys on this forum are on propecia and haven't had any side effects and for those guys I'm very happy but it just wasn't worth the "risk" for me. I also decided not to use minoxidil either due to the twice daily maintenance- my work is client based and going in everywhere with greasy matted hair just wouldn't fly with my boss. Consequently I did some heavy research online and stumbled across Dr. Prasad's website. Long story short, I decided to pull the trigger and get the injections. 3 months later: no results. 6 months later: no results and, in fact, the situation seemed to be getting worse. 9 months later: same. After 9 months I decided that I'd been screwed out of money and that the ACELL injections were a huge scam. I then visited my dermatologist and a few other doctors who told me that the science behind PRP/ACELL is weak and that I should've consulted with them first. At that point I immediately started using RU58841 on a nightly basis (I had read about hellouser's success as well as Chris's review on good looking loser). For two weeks after RU58841 I noticed significant shedding which then slowed. Now, 13 months after the injections my hair has completely thickened up and I'm barely shedding in the shower. I don't know what to attribute it to, the injections or the RU. Friends of mine who haven't seen me in a while have commented on the thickness of my hair. But the real proof comes from my 1-year follow up appointment with Dr. Prasad. I had scheduled it months before, looking forward to telling him off and making a huge scene when the microscopic images (he takes microscopic pictures of your scalp to map your progress) showed significant thickening. Believe me, nothing would please me more to say that I was led on and the whole ACELL thing was a scam but, frankly, I've never read a review of someone using only RU58841 who claims to have gotten such significant thickening. Most reviews I've read of RU58841 claim maintenance at best. Actually, I was hoping some of you gentlemen could help me discern what was the silver bullet here. I'm continuing to apply RU58841 as I don't know how long these results will last; Dr. Prasad's staff claims approximately 5 years.

My experience with acell/prp was that it did in fact thicken hair. I had hairs that were barely visible (not vellus just very weak unpigmented, fine and short) and they thickened and made a noticeable difference. It took 4 months to see results and it lasted about a year. But I also believe that if you have aggressive hair loss, prp/acell is not powerful enough to overcome that. So if your hairloss is gradual over time, it will probably benefit you to varying degrees.

Blushark
08-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Do you have any before and after pictures you can share with us?

Blushark
08-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Dlc32:

Itsgrowingback
08-07-2016, 04:30 PM
I wanted to chime in on this topic as I now have relevant data to share. I got the PRP/ACELL treatment with Dr. Prasad ~50 days ago.

The negatives: it hurt to have done, is very expensive, and caused me to shed a lot of hair in the past 50 days.

The very good: I have new .25 - 1 inch long hairs growing at and below my hairline (effectively lowering my hairline) and a few visible hairs mixed in with my existing hair (that I can identify based on them being much shorter in length than my other hair). Overall I counted 26 new hairs in the hairline. I am over the moon!

Deets on me: I am a diffuse thinner in late 20s, so kind of an ideal candidate for this type of treatment.

With that said, my overall appearance is currently worse than before I got the treatment, but I am cautiously optimistic that the shed was my hair follicles responding to the treatment by ejecting the thinning hair to make room for a stronger replacement. I got the treatment done over my whole scalp so I hope to see more results soon. I don't have before and after pics to share yet, but they take pics at the office so I will hopefully have pics when this is all said and done.

Also -- you now pay for 2 treatments up front and the second is administered a year after the first. As of right now, I would have paid the price for a second in a year anyways so not a deal breaker for me. Dr. Prasad is booked about 3-4 months out and does like 2-3 of these a day, FWIW. I found it weird that I couldn't find a ton of reviews on his work, but am very happy with his service.

PinotQ
08-08-2016, 03:29 AM
Dlc32:

Here is a testimonial with a before and after: http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/forum3/8463.html

crazybad
10-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Itsgrowingback,

how's your hair/scalp doing now? any updates? I remember I was worried about shedding before starting Propecia and rogaine. Now I'm worried about shedding and not regaining it back for the PRP treatments.

crazybad
10-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Itsgrowingback,

how's your hair/scalp doing now? any updates? I remember I was worried about shedding before starting Propecia and rogaine. Now I'm worried about shedding and not regaining it back for the PRP treatments.

18bald
11-03-2016, 12:02 PM
I want to ask how has your hair been now? Is it better? Has your hairloss stopped? im 19 now and im thinning on my temples, specifically on my left temple, do you think the treatment will be able to help me? Thanks

wen4663
11-22-2016, 07:10 PM
I have appt with Prasad soon to do the PRP. He seems knowledgeable, but I'm still skeptical...it sounds too good. He did give me 2 referrals which were legitimate and positive results. DOES ANYONE HAVE RESULTS AFTER 6-9 MONTHS? PRASAD CLAIMS YOU NEED TO GIVE THIS AT LEAST 7-9 MONTHS TO SHOW RESULTS. He gave me a whole scientific reasoning about why it takes this much time to see any results.

k9gatton
11-23-2016, 06:06 PM
I have appt with Prasad soon to do the PRP. He seems knowledgeable, but I'm still skeptical...it sounds too good. He did give me 2 referrals which were legitimate and positive results. DOES ANYONE HAVE RESULTS AFTER 6-9 MONTHS? PRASAD CLAIMS YOU NEED TO GIVE THIS AT LEAST 7-9 MONTHS TO SHOW RESULTS. He gave me a whole scientific reasoning about why it takes this much time to see any results.

Glad to see you are trying this. I'm going to try it two. I'm between a Norwood three and four, mostly hairline. But I'm hoping for a hairline recovery.

Problem is, the results I've seen don't look very promising. Usually in colder climates hair doesn't do as well, generally speaking (at least for hair regrowth).

Louish
11-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Glad to see you are trying this. I'm going to try it two. I'm between a Norwood three and four, mostly hairline. But I'm hoping for a hairline recovery.

Problem is, the results I've seen don't look very promising. Usually in colder climates hair doesn't do as well, generally speaking (at least for hair regrowth).

You will waste your money, just get a good HT with a top surgeon....

wen4663
11-29-2016, 07:34 AM
FearTheLoss: Do you feel the PRP worked at all at this point in time? Do you feel it was a scam? Is Dr Greco a scam?

MG63
11-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Per PRP. I've found that it has helped me to slow down my hair loss and reverse in some areas. Specifically in crown and in center behind the hair line. Given the science and broad clinical studies I prefer over procedures and topicals.

A bit of background - I'm in my mid-50's, Norwood 2, not on propecia or any other topical for growth. Hormones are in balance.

Per Dr. Greco -- his process for preparing Growth Factors removes the pro-inflamatory cytokines, which caused me shedding and pain in other procedures.

As with all treatments - there is no miracle cure. As a health care professional, I've found lifestyle and epigenetics are the contributor to how and why hair loss occurs in men and women.

k9gatton
11-29-2016, 08:58 PM
Per PRP. I've found that it has helped me to slow down my hair loss and reverse in some areas. Specifically in crown and in center behind the hair line. Given the science and broad clinical studies I prefer over procedures and topicals.

A bit of background - I'm in my mid-50's, Norwood 2, not on propecia or any other topical for growth. Hormones are in balance.

Per Dr. Greco -- his process for preparing Growth Factors removes the pro-inflamatory cytokines, which caused me shedding and pain in other procedures.

As with all treatments - there is no miracle cure. As a health care professional, I've found lifestyle and epigenetics are the contributor to how and why hair loss occurs in men and women.

You're in your fifties, and only a Norwood 2?? This was after treatment, I take it? That's actually a good place to be.

Your baldness wasn't aggressive, I take it. What Norwood were you at. Or are you trying to go down to a Norwood one?

Thought the regrowth density wasn't always that good, depending on how diffuse/many terminal hairs were already there before the transplant. Is that not the case?

k9gatton
11-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Could I see scalp pictures, before and after?

Would really appreciate that.

Also, is this your hairline or vertex?

Hicks
12-01-2016, 04:27 PM
I got an email from greco about a new protocol. Restore-it. Anyone know anything about this?

It's in his blog on his website.

http://mobile.dudasite.com/site/grecohairrestoration/default?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grecohairrestoration. com%2Fblog%2F#2915

k9gatton
12-01-2016, 05:01 PM
The doctor that might do mine costs 500.00.

It would be nice to see pictures. That keeps this objective.
Also pictures are much better than words, before and after.

Please keep in mind, if the PRP doesn't work, that's not a personal
failure on our part. Everybody is different. But it could effect the outcome
for someone just learning about this. This isn't new to me, but I'm currently
on the fence.

I always try to show lots of pictures in my posts. And if people disagree
with my topical solution, it's not a reflection of who I am. They're
entitled to their own opinion, and to disagree. (See my Progesterone
thread).

purplelotus
12-02-2016, 09:31 PM
Anyone have any more PRP experiences to share or advice on a legit doc to go to? I'm considering it, but getting cold feet.

I called around and am hearing positive things, but doesn't seem to be much to back up the claims. Greco's office says 85% of patients see improvement, Wesley said 88%, Cole's office said 100%. If these numbers are real why aren't there studies and data to back them up and why aren't more people taking about their successes on forums like this. Was thinking Greco was the guy to go to but found out his 85% is based on comparing before and after photos- which to me seems super subjective. If you did the number of treatments Greco claims (4,000) why wouldn't have a more objective way to measure and document results. Greco also claimed no one was worse off, but from the forums some patients did think they were worse from the treatment

FearTheLoss: I'm also curious what your final assessment of PRP was and particularly of Greco.

Anyway if anyone has tried PRP or consulted with these or other docs I'd like to hear what you thought and in general what folks think about these high claims of improvement.

Cookieboy
12-03-2016, 04:53 AM
What (if any) of some of the negative side effects of PRP?

Vic
12-03-2016, 08:38 AM
At this point it's been well established that the only thing PRP improves is the Doctors bank account. Ask the doctors that say their patients have imporovement to send you photos of the improvement. I've heard more people losing hair than gaining from PRP but if you all want to throw away some money I'm sure the docs take it.

k9gatton
12-03-2016, 12:36 PM
What (if any) of some of the negative side effects of PRP?

That's a good question. Because I'm hearing mixed things. One doctor told me that unless there
was a lot of terminal hair, it wouldn't do anything.

It's relatively cheap for me. But I'm not sure if it's worth it. Sessions for me would cost between $500.00 (United States
dollars).

On the other hand, I don't want my scalp to get worse. I don't mind not having any effects. I do mind it getting
worse after trying this.

For now, I'm only able to hold on and regrow my hair, but only at a slow pace.

purplelotus
12-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Ditto- on not wanting PRP to make things worse. Not sure how common shedding is as a side effect after PRP and if the hair that is shed is always regained? Docs seem to claim shedding is not that common after PRP, but there seem to be a number of accounts of increased shedding.

MG63
12-07-2016, 04:14 PM
You're in your fifties, and only a Norwood 2?? This was after treatment, I take it? That's actually a good place to be.

Your baldness wasn't aggressive, I take it. What Norwood were you at. Or are you trying to go down to a Norwood one?

Thought the regrowth density wasn't always that good, depending on how diffuse/many terminal hairs were already there before the transplant. Is that not the case?

I'm just holding on to my norwood 2 status. Like i said the PRP is keeping me from a fast slip to 3, also few gray hairs. Personally I'm looking to just avoid a quick drop off the edge. It is hard to out run the aging process.

MG63
12-07-2016, 04:17 PM
I had a PRP with Cole and experienced a bit of shed. Switched to Dr. Greco, have not had any shed for more than 3 years. His procedure for breaking down the blood removes the pro-antiinflammatory cytokines, which i think causes soreness and shedding.

MG63
12-07-2016, 04:19 PM
will take some over the weekend and post

WHTC Clinic
12-07-2016, 06:34 PM
I got PRP about a month ago. Initially, I noticed a decrease in shedding. I thought it had stopped my hair loss or slowed it down drastically. Now, a little over 4 weeks after my treatment, I am shredding like crazy and losing hair really fast. I am hoping this is just because I'm going to get good regrowth rather than it isn't working at all and I'm just heading over the cliff here.

I will keep you guys updated.

FTL

Thanks for the update. Are you getting a second session in the next few months before the one-year mark? Congratulations on the positive outcome.

k9gatton
12-07-2016, 06:36 PM
will take some over the weekend and post

Do you have any before and after pictures? I would really like to see them.

I'm debating to do it. Not sure if my follicles are too dead to get revived or not.

Blushark
01-05-2017, 10:25 PM
I am a diffuse dinner as well. Do you have any before and after pictures?

Blushark
01-05-2017, 10:39 PM
I am a diffuse dinner as well. Do you have any before and after pictures?

robertjames5504
01-06-2017, 02:23 AM
I have been passing through hair loss for some time now, and ever since i have not been comfortable with myself. i started using face cap to cover it up because i was so ashamed of myself. Late last year i was introduced to some manufacturers from Africa and i contacted them and discuss about my hair loss problem,and i was told to pay some little amount of money which i was finding it difficult to pay at first but with faith and my condition i paid the money, after which they posted the remedy to me and i received it and followed the instruction.Wow i can't remember the last time i feel happy this way, am relief from my predicament. This is the manufacturers email, docarikuherbalhealingcenter@gmail.com.

maddy17
01-26-2017, 11:33 AM
are they injecting the colostrum? Or are you taking it orally?