View Full Version : Does age matter with Avodart/Propecia?

10-23-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm 58 and losing hair rapidly on the crown. Propecia didn't work so I've been trying Avodart for about 6 weeks with nothing to show for it (pun intended).
Given an equal amount of balding, is age a negative factor for success in the use of products like Avodart and Propecia for hair loss?

Dr. Glenn Charles
10-28-2009, 07:08 PM
As far as I know there is no specific age that Propecia or Avodart stops working. I do think that they definitely work better for some patients than others. I tell my patients that they need to stay on the Propecia or Avodart for at least 6-12 months to give them a fair chance to work. As long as you are not having any side effects, you may want to consider staying on medications for a while.

10-29-2009, 03:10 AM
I don't know how long you gave Propecia to work but if a good stretch and unsuccessful moving up a notch to DUT is the best thing. You will not experience anything after 6 weeks - more like 6 months so continue to ride it out for a period of time in order to make a more informed decision on whether its working or not for you.