View Full Version : Feriduni Fue 2014

07-11-2014, 01:43 PM
I had 3,100 with Dr Feriduni in March 2014. I'm now 17 weeks in and very pleased with the progress so far. I feel I've left it late compared to most guys as I'm 51 but every day that I looked in the mirror, I wished I had a better hair line and one day last year, I thought I'd do something about it. I did lots of research, had a few consultation meetings in the UK and spoke with Spex a couple of times. I didn't have the time to be able to fly to the US so I decided to book in with Dr Feriduni in Belgium because his results and reputation appealed to me personally. I didn't have a consultation, I simply booked over the internet in June 2013. The good news was that there was a fair old wait which says something about his order book and I didn't have enough holidays in 2013 so all in all, March 2014 worked well for me. Things started to ramp up for me when I went to a ladies hairdressers on the Saturday before the procedure on the Tuesday - because my hair is grey, I was asked to dye it so they could see to extract the hair for transplant. Oh my goodness, my hair went jet black, my scalp was also black and there was dye all over my face, ears and neck. I couldn't wait to get home, hoping that no-one would see me on the way and where I had numerous showers to get rid of all the dye. Attached is a post dye and pre operative picture.

07-12-2014, 11:46 AM
I live in the North of England, so rather than have to interact after surgery by going to Belgium via train or plane, I decided to take the car on the ferry and did the overnight from Hull to Zeebrugge. This is a great way to travel over, you can relax and let them take you there. Needless to say, I had to travel in a baseball cap as my new jet black hair just didn't look right. I set off on Sunday and arrived into Zeebrugge on Monday morning. I thought I'd do a day of sightseeing so had a look around Bruges which is a few miles from the port and after that I drove the 70 miles or so to Brussels and had a look around. Towards the end of the day, I set off for Hasselt which is where the Feriduni clinic is located. Hasselt is about 50 miles from Brussels and I arrived at the recommended hotel which is called the Hassotel at about 5pm. The hotel is well laid out for those coming and going after procedure. Immediately behind reception are the lifts and staircase to the rooms which are 10 strides from the street, easy when you wish to keep a low profile. After checking in, I had a walk around the town before having dinner in the covered restaurant which is at the front of the hotel - one of those street type restaurants - the food was very good.

07-12-2014, 12:15 PM
I was surprised but I slept very well the night before the surgery. I got up quite early and had a shower before going down for breakfast. At breakfast, another chap turned up who had clearly had surgery the previous day. That's the good thing about this hotel, no-body bats an eyelid at people walking about with bandages on their head - they are used to it. At around 0830, the taxi came for me and we travelled the 10 minutes or so to the clinic. The taxi driver knew all about the clinic and the staff and re-assured me I was in good hands. I was met by the receptionist and showed to my private room where I removed my clothes and put on crocks and a green surgical gown - all very professional. The clinic is modern and spotless and you get a sense straight away that everyone knows what they're doing, I had to read and sign some forms which were straight forward. When Dr Feriduni arrived, I went into his office and he is extremely good at putting you at ease. We discussed my hairline and what I wanted for around an hour and the Doctor drew the shape of my new hairline onto my scalp. The next step is to have your hair shaved down to a Number one. To be honest I was glad to get rid of the dyed hair. After a hair wash, you go through to the surgery room and meet the staff that are going to perform the procedure. All of them are very nice, friendly and efficient. I had a blood pressure monitor fitted and a saline drip popped in and then waited for a while until they prepared themselves for the surgery. I was watching the blood pressure monitor which was high but I generally felt quite calm. You are then asked to lie on your stomach placing your head through a hole in the middle of the bed so that you can breath and they numb your head at the back and sides which is similar to the injection you get from the dentist. The staff then start to remove the hair follicles one by one. You don't feel anything apart from a bit of blood running down your neck now and then. The hardest part is that you have to stay in the same position flat on your stomach for around 3 hours with nothing to do. It's uncomfortable on mind and body and you just have to find a way in your mind to relax and let the time pass by. I was relieved when it was over and I could sit up normally. I decided to skip lunch and let the staff carry on with the surgery. Dr Feriduni came in and made the 3k incisions that were required for the grafts. This sounds and feels just like prodding holes in a jacket spud with a fork before you pop it in the microwave. The rest of the day was taken up with up to three of the staff working simultaneously to place the grafts in the holes until they have filled all the holes. They then bandage the back of your head to prevent an infection and you are done. At that point I went back to my private room, got dressed and ate my sandwich. All in all, I had been operated on over a period of about 6 hours. I can't speak highly enough of the organisation and execution by Dr Feriduni and his staff. The taxi arrived around 5pm and I thanked everyone and left for the hotel. Arriving back at the hotel, I walked in, the receptionist looked up and said 'good evening' and looked down again. I disappeared upstairs to my room to relax. Here is the picture I took immediately once I got back to the room.

07-12-2014, 12:39 PM
After I got back to my room, I generally relaxed. I'd bought some food the day before so I ate in my room and watched TV. The clinic give you some strict instructions on what to do for two weeks after surgery and it's important to follow them religiously. I propped my pillows so that I could sleep sat up for the first night, I managed to sleep from 2pm until 4pm and rather than fight it I watched a movie and them slept for another hour and a half before getting up around 7.30am. I got dressed and had breakfast in the room - agin the staff came in with breakfast and never gave me a second look. The taxi picked me up again and took me to the clinic where the Doctor checked that everything was ok and the Nurse washed my scalp to try and clean it a little, the bandage was removed and I was good to go. I was dropped back at the hotel and checked out. The clinic are very good in that they give you a cushion head rest, bandana, shampoo, pain killers, aloe vera, vitamin spray and other such things. I got back in my own car and drove the 100 or so miles back to Zeebrugge. I decided to stop off in Ostend on the way to the port as I'd been there on a school trip many years before and I had a little walk around and stopped for some lunch. I didn't bother with the bandana and just went freely about my business. I thought I wouldn't see any of these people again so it didn't matter. Needless to say, I got some strange looks. It was overnight on the ferry again, sleeping sat up and watching movies before I landed back in England on the Thursday morning. From the port at Hull, I drove home. When I walked in, the wife was aghast with the look. She had been against me doing this and just couldn't understand why I would want to have it done but only you understand why it is important to you to have it done and it is very difficult to explain it. Nevertheless, I was back and ready to start recuperation. I had a shower and lightly rinsed the area that had received the grafts, not with the shower but with a water spray. Attached is my first picture when I got home.

07-13-2014, 12:45 PM
After you get back home, it really is a case of getting into a routine of not doing very much, eating well, drinking plenty of water and generally taking it easy. It's important to follow the directions from the clinic. Gentle shampooing starts now and this helps remove the scabs from the donor and recipient area. I chose to sleep downstairs for the first week because you are sleeping in a sitting up position and you don't settle that well. I slept a bit, watched TV and surfed the internet. One thing I did do that worked well is that I didn't shave after the morning of the surgery and grew a beard. This took everyone's focus from my hairline as they were a bit surprised that I'd got a beard. One of the major downsides is that the redness takes a few months to subside if you have fair skin no matter what you do and this was my biggest concern before I went back to work. After 5 days the donor area was pretty much healed and you wouldn't have known that 3k hairs were taken from there. Here are some photos leading up to the time I went back to work after two weeks.

07-14-2014, 01:12 AM
Congrats - heal and grow well!

09-21-2014, 02:57 AM
How is it going dude, I have my surgery on the 30th sept with feriduni (: