View Full Version : Repair of old plug work by Dr. Feller of Great Neck, NY

Dr. Feller
10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
This patient had multiple old style plug and mini graft surgeries years ago when he had much more of his own hair. As his native hair began to fall away, the plugs and minigrafts become more and more pronounced-a common problem.

We undertook to repair this work by implanting along the hairline to blend out the old minigrafts and then focus in the front center area to fill in the where his native hair used to be.

Because of the multiple old surgeries it looked like he had a "road map" of tangled scars in the donor area thus limiting the harvest. We were, however, successful in obtaining 2,683 grafts.

Visiting with us almost 2 years later he is concerned that the procedure was not that effective. He believes there was growth, but not that much. I thought the results were excellent, paticularly for a repair patient, but of course I am biased, so I offered to put up his pics for the public to see and to offer their opinions.

As of our last conversation we discussed implanting about 1500 grafts into the front and top region again to thicken them up. 1,500 grafts is all he has left that can be taken via strip. After than I could probably get another 1500 or more grafts via FUE if he were so inclined.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Dr. F

10-08-2009, 04:37 PM
the hairline looks great. you can see his scalp from the top view, but it looks like a dramatic improvement. i would think another 3k grafts would make this guy look like he has a full head of hair. overall, i would say it's excellent work.

10-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Looks like huge improvement to me. Has this guy seen his before pictures?:)

Dr. Feller
10-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Thank you for the comments.

Unfortunately I don't think he has another 3000 in him, at least not via strip any way. A combo of strip and FUE probably could get him to 3000 and perhaps even further.

He has seen his before pics but he is convinced there is little to no change. And he would be correct if our goal was to fill in the central area of scalp. That would have been the goal if he had not had the old plug surgeries years ago. Rather, our goal was to make the hairline look more natural and blend in the plugs. This took every hair I could harvest in that one procedure.

The problem, I think, is that this patient is looking for a major diffence when his hair is unstyled. Unfortunately, most hair transplants require styling to maximize the effect. This goes double for patients who need repair of old plug work.

Were I him, I would do another transplant of about 1500 and pack it right into the central area.

Dr. F

747 Pilot
01-15-2010, 01:05 AM
He has seen his before pics but he is convinced there is little to no change.

Little to no change?? This guy can't be serious. Personally, I think your patient needs the services of the nearest Optometrist.

You did an incredible job with this guy's hairline, Dr Feller. You transformed him from a horrible, pluggy look, to a completely natural, undetectable look. Bravo sir!