PDA

View Full Version : Price decline schedule/estimate for 1mg Finasteride

hairy
06-11-2013, 10:33 PM
From Rassman's blog:

"
A little birdie gave me some insider dates to look out for when it comes to generic 1mg finasteride (aka generic Propecia) that I thought I’d share –

Nov 19, 2012 - Merck’s patent on Propecia expired

Jan 1, 2013 - Jun 30, 2013 - Dr. Reddy has exclusive FDA approval to make generic 1mg finasteride. Currently 90 days of generic 1mg finasteride can run as high as $100 ($95-125).

Jul 1, 2013 - Two additional companies will start making generic and price will drop by about 50% or $50 for 90 tabs

Nov 5, 2013 - Five additional companies will start making it, at which time there will be 9 manufacturers of 1mg finasteride — 8 making generic, 1 making brand name. The price at that time will be around $20 for 90 tabs. Most of the generic makers already make generic 5mg finasteride so they only need to make minor adjustments to produce 1mg.

This is good news for us all.
"

StayThick
06-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Not good news for your body. The drug is poison.

john2399
06-12-2013, 11:52 AM

speak for yourself...the drug is all we got right now.

StayThick
06-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Wish you the best bro...wish you the best as you inhibit a male sex hormone that is essential to a man's being.

Good luck.

john2399
06-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Been on it for 2 years and no problems.

cs2257
06-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Ill be refilling in early July, I'll be sure to bump this thread.

For a generic, the current cost in criminal.

boricotico
06-17-2013, 10:54 AM

I think the fact that you're ok doesn't mean it's a safe drug. It's like saying being smoker it's safe just because you have not cancer.

KO1
06-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Nope, it is a safe drug, and likely the best thing to happen to balding men in history. No problems for me. I just wish it was more effective.

boricotico
06-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm not saying you guys shouldn't use it. That's each one decision. My only concern has been always that the majority of us just deny the fact that this is not a safe drug. The sides are real and I as many others are living proof.

If you decide to take it just do it knowing it and accepting that it could be consequences at any time, that's all.

KO1
06-17-2013, 01:02 PM
I was primarily responding to posts like this, "Not good news for your body. The drug is poison.".

You were not discouraging anybody, but this fool StayThick was.

It has been demonstrated to be safe for use for the vast majority of us, for 20 years now. If it is causes you side effects, you are the exception, the rest of us have no problem with it.

greatjob!
06-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I think the fact that you're ok doesn't mean it's a safe drug. It's like saying being smoker it's safe just because you have not cancer.

That is a ridiculous comparison. Its like comparing the risk of driving a car with the risk of play Russian roulette. Not equal.

Yes there are risks with finasteride, just like there are risks with every single drug in existence. If you get sides that sucks but it is getting exhausting ready all these posts about it being poison. So if you take any other drug and suffer from side effects does that also mean the drug is poison and the manufacturer is some evil entity hell bent on destroying the world?

boricotico
06-17-2013, 01:34 PM
That is a ridiculous comparison. Its like comparing the risk of driving a car with the risk of play Russian roulette. Not equal.

I appreciate your courtesy, really.

Yes there are risks with finasteride, just like there are risks with every single drug in existence. If you get sides that sucks but it is getting exhausting ready all these posts about it being poison. So if you take any other drug and suffer from side effects does that also mean the drug is poison and the manufacturer is some evil entity hell bent on destroying the world?

And again I'm just saying that you should take it knowingly. I'm 100% sure that people that smoke doesn't worry until They got cancer.

KO1
06-17-2013, 01:35 PM
You originally stated it is "not safe", that's not the same thing as "know the risks". You may have meant the latter, which is fair IMO.

And StayThick had to troll, "Fin is poison"....yeah....

rdawg
06-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Solid news! althought im still on proscar which is like 60 bucks a year so no rush to switch.

Stuff is the best solution we have if you dont suffer from sides(luckily i dont), it has stabilized my hairloss! unfortunately that means im still stuck being a nw3!

still I'd probably be a NW4 or worse without the stuff, my hairloss was getting agressive before I started on it.

25 going on 65
06-17-2013, 05:57 PM
My main complaint about fin and dut is that they do not block more DHT.

Solid news! althought im still on proscar which is like 60 bucks a year so no rush to switch.

Stuff is the best solution we have if you dont suffer from sides(luckily i dont), it has stabilized my hairloss! unfortunately that means im still stuck being a nw3!

still I'd probably be a NW4 or worse without the stuff, my hairloss was getting agressive before I started on it.

Yes man I would be diffusing in a NW4 pattern right now, most likely, without these drugs.....

greatjob!
06-17-2013, 06:09 PM
My main complaint about fin and dut is that they do not block more DHT.

You could always chop off your balls :eek:

25 going on 65
06-17-2013, 07:00 PM
You could always chop off your balls :eek:

Yes but that would look bad and I feel it would also be bad for sexual drive and function.

BigThinker
06-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Wish you the best bro...wish you the best as you inhibit a male sex hormone that is essential to a man's being.

Good luck.

You bitter, brah?

Either you:
-couldn't muster up the nads to take fin and subsequently went NW7, or
-you took it, thought you got sides, and quit, and then went NW7

Which is it?

mmmcoffee
06-17-2013, 07:38 PM
For most people, it's the same as taking any other drug, you can enjoy the benefits and not have side effects. For those who are sensitive, yes fin seems like a poison. It's all in how your body reacts, you can't label it a poison for anyone other than yourself. I personally take it with no sides, have been for a year.
I'm sorry for those of you who get the sides, and hope we can all have a side effect free cure someday

greatjob!
06-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Yes but that would look bad and I feel it would also be bad for sexual drive and function.

Yeah but you'll be streamlined for speed :p

clockrepellent
06-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Nice post...great that prices will come down for those choosing to use this option

Proper
06-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Great news!!!!! Woot!!!!!! Thats great!!!! **** YEAH!!!!!! Tis the season to be jolly!!!!! YYYEEEAAAAHHHH!!!! Woot!!!! Woot!!!! Woot!!!!!! *doible finger gun signs* WOOOO!!!!

greatjob!
06-18-2013, 10:13 PM
great news!!!!! Woot!!!!!! Thats great!!!! **** yeah!!!!!! Tis the season to be jolly!!!!! Yyyeeeaaaahhhh!!!! Woot!!!! Woot!!!! Woot!!!!!! *doible finger gun signs* woooo!!!!

lmfao!

burtandernie
06-20-2013, 09:41 AM
The much lower prices finally makes it affordable for people wanting to try it. I passed on it years ago because 60 a month is too much money to pay for the rest of my life on top of all other bills.
Maybe merck will be motivated now to top their previous success?

clockrepellent
06-20-2013, 09:28 PM
I don't see any pharma company very interested in MPB as its not reimbursable under insurance and people will only pay so much out of pocket each month...people complain about paying $50/month for a highly effective drug like finasteride. There is really not that much money to be made in reality

frankzukini
10-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Any news about this? Has Merck's Propecia dropped in price by now?

Notcoolanymore
10-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Any news about this? Has Merck's Propecia dropped in price by now?

I don't know about everybody else, but where I am from the price is still high. I paid $67.99 for 30 day supply. After that first month, I started getting it online. It would be great if they finally dropped the price.

burtandernie
10-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Its not November yet so no one else is making it so why would prices drop? I might try it once the price comes down to about 20 for 90 days because at the inflated prices it was at for all those years its almost not worth it to me in terms of money.

Nov 5, 2013 - Five additional companies will start making it, at which time there will be 9 manufacturers of 1mg finasteride — 8 making generic, 1 making brand name. The price at that time will be around $20 for 90 tabs. Most of the generic makers already make generic 5mg finasteride so they only need to make minor adjustments to produce 1mg.

Notcoolanymore
10-21-2013, 03:17 AM

I will check the local pharmacy after that date and hopefully the price is way cheaper than it is now. I would even be happy if the price was just cut in half.

clockrepellent
10-21-2013, 03:30 PM
I just filled my generic (Reddy) and it was still $50...i think Reddy exclusive generic ends at 6 months from launch, which should have been around August 2013...perhaps there is no other generic being launched yet, so no price drop? Should be coming soon and see different brands at your pharmacy, maybe with a lower price.

Tk2000
11-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Any updates on generic pricing?

inspects
11-20-2013, 08:41 PM
From Rassman's blog:

"
A little birdie gave me some insider dates to look out for when it comes to generic 1mg finasteride (aka generic Propecia) that I thought I’d share –

Jan 1, 2013 - Jun 30, 2013 - Dr. Reddy has exclusive FDA approval to make generic 1mg finasteride. Currently 90 days of generic 1mg finasteride can run as high as $100 ($95-125).

Jul 1, 2013 - Two additional companies will start making generic and price will drop by about 50% or $50 for 90 tabs

"

Good news, if the cost was $1,000.00 a month I'd still buy it, because it works, and works well for most people, it stopped my loss after I had a transplant and filled in the crown basically just taking Propecia, I didn't have many grafts placed in the crown, now it covered with hair. No sides here either.

Notcoolanymore
11-20-2013, 08:51 PM
I haven't checked the price of generic fin to see if it has dropped. Anybody?..

Tk2000
11-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I called my local walmart and they said $48 for 30 pills. I thought I read here that it would be less, but maybe that was from some online shady place.

Either way alot better than $98 I have been paying at RiteAid for the last how many years

Tk2000
11-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah, two posts up it says $50 for 90 tabs pre-Nov and now it should be $20 for 90.

Anyone else seen lower pricing than $50 for 30?

Artista
11-21-2013, 03:26 PM
30 count of Dr Reddys Finasteride at 1mg here in Chicago cost is approx $ 73 USD. I am able to get it at a discount of $38 each month lucky me

akai
11-22-2013, 02:37 AM
You can get 30 tablets of Fincar (5mg) made by Cipla for $31 online. If you take it everyday that's pretty inexpensive for 120 days.

doke
11-22-2013, 03:12 AM
The currunt problem is unless you can get the generic or even or any meds bought online tested you do not know if the med is fake we even had insidence in uk that some chemist shops had been duped with fake medicines thats how good the counterfeight criminals have got so its scary.
I did try dutasteride a few years ago from an overseas pharmacy and it was fake now i was lucky to get it from my doctor now.

Soxfaninfl
11-22-2013, 09:35 AM
From Rassman's blog:

"

"

I'm sticking with the real stuff. I don't mind paying for brand name. I took generic for a month, and I went thru a light shed. I went back on brand name and my hair still looks awesome. Why mess with what was working to save a few bucks. I've been on fin now since March of 2012 with no side effects. Best decision I've ever made taking fin.

Soxfaninfl
11-22-2013, 09:38 AM
I haven't checked the price of generic fin to see if it has dropped. Anybody?..

It costs 62.00 dollars at Walmart Pharmacy in Florida for generic 1mg fin.

akai
11-22-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm sticking with the real stuff. I don't mind paying for brand name. I took generic for a month, and I went thru a light shed. I went back on brand name and my hair still looks awesome. Why mess with what was working to save a few bucks. I've been on fin now since March of 2012 with no side effects. Best decision I've ever made taking fin.

I don't think Cipla, the billion dollar multinational pharmaceutical company (that makes Finpecia/Fincar) that has been around since 1935 is going to risk it's reputation by faking an inexpensive drug like finasteride. But I agree, if you have the access and extra money for brand name that's the best way to go. Also agree on taking finasteride. Glad I got on it a few years ago.

burtandernie
12-01-2013, 09:38 PM
You would think propecia would be below 30 a month by now but I guess there still arent enough generic manufacturers yet.

Tk2000
12-17-2013, 05:59 PM
so i had my Propecia script, that I have been paying $95+ for 30 tabs at RiteAid, filled at Walmart in south central PA with generic today.
$73.18 for 30 tabs.
I called a month ago and the Pharmacist said forty something for 30 tabs, so this was a shock today.

I have been on it for almost 10 years now and haven't lost any more hair since, so it's worth it to me, but a price break would be nice.

burtandernie
12-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Its kind of ridiculous that a drug actually keeps its same price for 20 years. The patent system is a mess as usual for anything politicians touch, and actually discourages innovation for decades.

burtandernie
01-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Its 2014 now. How many generic manufacturers are there right now just reddy and merck still?