View Full Version : HT Scab Removal Help

06-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Hi wonder if i should NOT of done this:confused:confused:

Im 10 days post op fue and my scabs have still to fully shed so this morning i left the shower run at max temp in the bath and closed the door so was pretty steamy i put lots of aloe vera on my head and then placed a loose shower cap on(to help lock in moisture and loosen the scabs)

I sat at the other end of the bath for 25-30min i then took the shower cap off as the aloe was all soaked in etc...I then washed my hair for 5 min and got 60-70% of the scabs off!

My question is has anyone done anything similar to this:o

And could i of done any damage to my recepient grafts with having a steamy bathroom and a shower cap on:confused:

Thanks all resposes always appreciated and if you have any questions fire away please

06-01-2013, 10:18 AM

At ten days post-op your grafts are fine and actually the moistness is a good thing at this point. Many doctors recommend that the crusts and scabbing be removed anywhere from 7-10 days post-op, depending on the rate of healing.

Obviously some patients heal a bit slower, some faster. But the grafts themselves are well seated in the dermis layer of your scalp. The crusts/scabs are located on the outer scalp layer so again, nothing to worry about. You may have been provided post-op care instructions with your paperwork?

In another week, your scalp should look pretty normal.

Happy regrowth to you...;)

Dr. Glenn Charles
06-02-2013, 07:46 PM
I generally instruct my patients who have scabs that are not falling off after 7-10 days to rub Vitamin E or baby oil generously on the grafts. Let is soak in for 10 minutes and then shower and shampoo the scalp which makes most of the scabs slide off. However, I agree that at 10 days post-op it would be unlikely that you did any harm to the grafts.

06-04-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks Gillenator and Dr Charles for your helpful responses :)